Hollis Hills Mustang Mk1 414 Sqn RCAF

This was a conversion of the P-51A, but I fought with this build all the way to the end. Fit problems, my own conversion issues, masking errors, lots of plain old bad luck plagued me until I though "well that's it,done"

Paint is Humbrol, decals are Arrow Graphics. The only things I added were some tape seat belts, invisible thread antenna, extra bumps above the canopy, landing lights and gun camera form clear sprue, and the tail wheel doors from card. Prop blades were re-shaped, carb intake narrowed to Mk1 style, cannon removed from wings and gun holes drilled in the nose and wing leading edges.

Dsc06037_zpsy8pz1arl.jpg

Dsc06032_zpseghfsupm.jpg

Dsc06034_zpsmbcuo2bm.jpg

Dsc06038_zpscgjngjsv.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Looks great and one that I have in the stash to do also, I was thinking of using the MPM parts on an Academy kit. However there was some discussion here back in 2006 that Hills had said to someone that the wing stripes were red not yellow. In researching this I found a picture of three squadron planes in flight (RU-M) furthest from camera) where there was a definite colour change/interuption on the yellow leading edge at about the spot the stripe would be but you could not see the wing tops. I haven't resolved this yet but I know Arrow gives you the yellow stripes but I'm just not sure. Most of my stuff is still in boxes from a move last year but I did just get the Special Hobby "Nomad" release so I've got some yellow and black painting to do right now. Your's looks great regardless. Also your's is done so I shouldn't talk.....

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

In researching this I found a picture of three squadron planes in flight (RU-M) furthest from camera) where there was a definite colour change/interuption on the yellow leading edge at about the spot the stripe would be but you could not see the wing tops.

Bruce

I'd like to see that pic :)

The RCAF had 3 Squadrons using the Mustang I in the photo recon role, and 414 was one of them. In one of my Larry Milberry's books is a photo of one of these a/c with dull red wing bands. I too have seen the photos mentioned above.

While researching the 1:48 scale RU*M, I was talking to a friend who was friends with Holly and he confirmed that the wing bands were red.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

The only reference to red bands that I have is Ron Lowry's profile in Milberry's 60 Years and another profile in the 'On Target' series. Both are 400 Sqn machines.

If someone had a photo that shows a 414 machine with them, that would be great, but I've scoured all my Mustang stuff (even the IPMS Canada special stuff in RT) and yellow they are for now.

Thanks Folks, Tony

ps. I've also come to distrust anecdotal advice, even from aircrew.

Edited by Snowbird3a

Hi Tony: I received this print from 414 Sqn historian in 2010 and we may have talked about it previously. The original painting was done for the squadron when it was based at Comox. Somewhere I have a copy of the draft version of the book that was never printed.

And as for your PS above, :rolleyes: I don't blame you

Barney

Mustang%20I002.jpg

Hi Tony: I received this print from 414 Sqn historian in 2010 and we may have talked about it previously. The original painting was done for the squadron when it was based at Comox. Somewhere I have a copy of the draft version of the book that was never printed.

And as for your PS above, :rolleyes:/> I don't blame you

Barney

Mustang%20I002.jpg

Nice artwork, one thing though, it has been stated that Hill's plane did not have the camera installed in Aug'42

I spent some time today at the Comox museum, but came up empty on further references.

Cheers, Tony

Here is a picture I have of SP-B AG528 of 400 Sqd RCAF. The chord-wise wing band is most certainly a different colour than the yellow leading edge. It's a larger version of the photo in Milberry's book. I also have a great photo of 414's RU-F which clearly shows yellow chord-wise bands. I also have an in-flight shot of RU-H which shows the underside of the port wing wherein a light coloured band is visible.

SP-B%20AG-528_zpsubsyjl66.jpg

Edited by Tom

Here is a picture I have of SP-B AG528 of 400 Sqd RCAF. The chord-wise wing band is most certainly a different colour than the yellow leading edge. It's a larger version of the photo in Milberry's book. I also have a great photo of 414's RU-F which clearly shows yellow chord-wise bands. I also have an in-flight shot of RU-H which shows the underside of the port wing wherein a light coloured band is visible.

I'v seen more than one 400Sqn photo that shows (non-yellow)red bands, when I do a 400sqn machine, I will do that. Any chance of sharing the 414 aircraft pictures ???

Photo evidence beats human anecdote all the time !!!

Cheers, Tony

Looks great and one that I have in the stash to do also, I was thinking of using the MPM parts on an Academy kit. However there was some discussion here back in 2006 that Hills had said to someone that the wing stripes were red not yellow. In researching this I found a picture of three squadron planes in flight (RU-M) furthest from camera) where there was a definite colour change/interuption on the yellow leading edge at about the spot the stripe would be but you could not see the wing tops. I haven't resolved this yet but I know Arrow gives you the yellow stripes but I'm just not sure. Most of my stuff is still in boxes from a move last year but I did just get the Special Hobby "Nomad" release so I've got some yellow and black painting to do right now. Your's looks great regardless. Also your's is done so I shouldn't talk.....

Cheers

Bruce

The RCAF had 3 Squadrons using the Mustang I in the photo recon role, and 414 was one of them. In one of my Larry Milberry's books is a photo of one of these a/c with dull red wing bands. I too have seen the photos mentioned above.

While researching the 1:48 scale RU*M, I was talking to a friend who was friends with Holly and he confirmed that the wing bands were red.

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Chaps, courtesy of Tom, here is a 414Sqn Mustang with yellow wing bands. Love to see any other 414 pics if you have them.

RU-F%20AG375_zpshs93zczl.jpg

Cheers, Tony