Informal survey . . . . decals you'd like to see produced

Besides, the few models I intend to build with markings no one has produced will lose their uniqueness if someone releases 500-1,000 sheets of them.

I wish. I can only dream of selling those numbers.

That brings me to what I think we really need. 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 sheets of tail codes, as decals, with wing codes of the different styles used over the years for USN aircraft. White letters and the numbers, such as on Vietnam aircraft, would be a big help, too.

That way, we can each build things without having to cut up decals from other sheets, just to get the code letters we need.

Oh, I forgot, on any sheets intended for USN, give us lots of As and lots of Ns, so we can actually use all the Cs, Es, etc.

Are you saying air wing tail codes? Not sure how a generic set of letters would work since pretty much every squadron for every aircraft type have their own style of tail codes and sized for various aircraft, and even that can change frequently within the same squadron. Even "standard" buno's lettering wasn't really standard. At that point it's not longer a generic sheet.

1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet RAAF

I am working on a RAAF Super Hornet sheet, as well as RAAF legacy Hornets. Not too far now.

Lots of good ideas in this thread - I think I will tackle a few of them in the months to come.

Easy. 1/32 Ordnance decals. Since they became OOP at Two Bob's, nobody makes them, which drives me nuts. If the demand is so high for 1/32 bomb and missile decals, why doesn't any body cash in on this demand??

AOA would be perfect for this.

There were a LOT of aircraft marked in "standard" tail codes. They just weren't the flashy CAGs and late sixties aircraft. You will find that mostly in the early days of the two code system.

Things like VA-16's Skyraiders (AN tail code), VA-26's Cougars (NC tail code), VA-36 NG-700 Maroon tail tipped A-4C on the Enterprise (trimmed in "navy maroon" (a Brown), not "street maroon", (which is really a Magenta in Navy use), A-4A and A-4B of just about any squadron. And models that no one would ever produce decals for, such as the VMFA(aw)-314 markings on very early Black Knights Phantoms (no other trim).

These models won't ever be produced by decal manufactures,,,,,,,but, I have 17 of these "plain Janes" to do,,,,,,and actual "on spec" straight tail code letters would go a long way toward some of us doing these "unique because they aren't flashy" models. As it is, we can't do them easily, because, for example, every "NG" sold has either a slant or a colored shadow, or is A-6 sized when we need them for an A-1 or A-4.

I'd buy a sheet like this in 1/72 at "four at a time" quantities, instead of buying A-6/F-4/F-8 sheets to cut up and use the BuNo parts to make nose numbers for Skyhawk models. (yup, I bought two of your A-6 sheets, for just ONE A-6 model, and the rest is for earlier jet models, same with Furball's F-8 and F-4 sheets)

added, I sincerely promise to only use "standard" tail codes, nose numbers, and BuNos on aircraft such as my examples,,,,,,and use "really great" modern releases of things like the Oriental style on VA-75's Intruders on only those models.

Edited by Rex

Some additions.

A-6E's Sunday Punchers from Gulf War 1. And any others beautiful kit ignored by most decal producers.

B-52's Gulf War 1 in 72nd and 1/144.

F-4C's from Op Bolo in 48th and 32nd for Gen Olds plus the other Mig Killers from the mission.

F-105's in 32nd...

Are you asking so that you can have the decals produced? Do you have direct line to one of the manufacturers? (Hoping so!) smile.gif

I've got a source . . . . she's a graphic designer with good experience in decals (and has already knocked out the main insignia for the VA-25 scheme!) rolleyes.gif She may be interested in doing some limited run stuff. Just researching the concept now . . .

Jim

A-4E VA-72 and VA-153, both without hump and both from Vietnam and F-14A VF-1 Desert Storm Mi-8 killer. All in 1/72 scale.

Here is an f-14 1/72 with the vf-1 decals from the storm... Only way to get the decals is buy the kit I think. The decals might not be good quality though...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat-Desert-Storm-Commemorative-Series-Model-Plane-Scale-1-72-/201182093937?nav=SEARCH

Edited by tomcatsforever

I am working on a RAAF Super Hornet sheet, as well as RAAF legacy Hornets. Not too far now.

Lots of good ideas in this thread - I think I will tackle a few of them in the months to come.

I hope these will also be in 1/72 along with the some RAAF E/A-18Gs :D

Since Hasegawa took the lazy side and ignored other catchy schemes

1/72 Ace Combat Zero decals for

F-14D Schnee

Mig-31B Schwarze

EF-2000A Rot

Jas-39C Indigo

YF-23 & F-16XL Wizard

F-15 S/MTD Sorcerer

Su-37 Gelb

Su-47 Gault

F/A-18C Grun

Draken & Rafale Espada

F-4E & F-16C Silber

Oh yeah 1/72 roundels for URF forces from AC2

1/48 scale white stencils for Navy aircraft. You could just make a sheet for blue FJ-3 Fury's complete with stencils if that would be easier!

Actually yes, FJ-3 decals in ANY scale. Was fun (NOT!) scrounging all the markings I could find from anywhere for my -3 when I did the whole Jolly Rogers line.

I'd love to see CA ANG jet decals, with the 4 stars on the tail, and the old school GG/Wh early Tomcat schemes like VF-33, -51,-84, 102,-111,-114, etc.

I do love early Tomcat schemes. However, as an avid Tomcat fan, I must correct your above request. The only squadron you listed to fly in Gull Gray/White was VF-84. The rest entered service during the overall Gull Gray scheme, but still with colorful markings. I will now turn down my geekiness. :D