Revell TFA Millennium Falcon

My son's 7th birthday was recently and he got a Hobby Lobby gift card. When we went to pick something out, he wanted the Revell Snap Tite Max The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon. Overall, it doesn't seem to be too bad of a kit. It looks like the Millennium Falcon in The Force Awakens. My son made it very clear to me that he wants this model to "look just like the one in the movie". You can tell this model is made for kids and is intended to be played with. The pre-painting is seriously lacking in the scale modelers believable level. Being somewhat of a sci-fi builder, I intend to do just as my son requests and get him involved in the build as well.

Back in 2007, I was able to go to "Star Wars - Where Science meets Imagination" at the Fort Worth Museum. On display was the 5 foot filming model of the Millennium Falcon. I was really excited that they had no restrictions on photographs

DSCN3212_zpsl42iz1ib.jpg

DSCN3211_zpsxwxabefg.jpg

DSCN3213_zpsl0i9opca.jpg

This will provide great reference pics.

This kit start with building the landing gear...well, I started with the cockpit instead. It's painted a overall very dark gray. I repainted the seats and added color to the glareshield and panels. I dry brushed silver over the glareshield to pick out any detail.

cockpit_fwd_zpsrkj9xvfs.jpg

cockpit_rt_zpseiehtylg.jpg

cockpit_lt_zpsfmofh0hq.jpg

Once I was happy with the appearance, I sprayed dullcoat over the entire cockpit and closed it up.

The fit of the windscreen is good, not great. There were some gaps on each side. This were filled with superglue gel...sparingly. I sanded the glue smooth and filled in some molding irregularities with putty.

windscreen_lt_zpsw6q5b25b.jpg

windscreen_rt_zps2omvv9ef.jpg

windscreen_fwd_zpstq8hybi8.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I knew that going in, but hacking almost 1/4 inch off the side walls was going to be a lot of work. So i decided to leave it.

I have the DiAgostini Millennium Falcon being procured, that will be my awesome Falcon build.