There's definitely a strong connection between the trailer and the old Star Wars: Dark Forces game, which you can still buy on Steam if you want to experience 1995 DOS-based PC gaming in all it's glory.

++Potential Spoliers++

DF follows Kyle Katarn, a mercenary employed by the Rebel Alliance. Katarn's back-story is that he was a student at an academy when he is told by officials that Rebels have killed his parents (sound familiar?), which causes him to enlist in the Imperial army. Subsequently he meets Jan Ors, who is a Rebel working undercover as a double agent in the Empire (funny how Jan Ors is quite similar to Jyn Erso, the lead character in Rogue One...). Ors uncovers the truth about Katarn's parents' deaths - the Empire did it (shocker). The Empire eventually discovers that Ors is working for the Rebels and is taken prisoner. Katarn helps her escape, a decision which is regarded as 'career-limiting' within the Empire, and he becomes a mercenary, teaming up with Ors. DF begins with Katarn being recruited by the Rebel Alliance to recover the plans to the Death Star - the first mission of the game.

++Potential spoliers end++

Interestingly, DF was dropped as being canon by Disney after they acquired the SW franchise. Rogue One, it seems, is the re-telling of the Katarn/Ors/Dark Forces story. And, to my mind anyway, this chap looks a hell of a lot like Katarn...

12901527_10153469257437050_2276829145790412823_o.jpg

Katarn in the intro to 'Dark Forces';

12987169_10153469266482050_9030568533035917105_n.jpg?oh=2127788750e61fa463c8ac1ea06e81d9&oe=577795A7

Katarn and Ors in 'Dark Forces 2';

Star-Wars-Dark-Forces-2-Jan-Ors-and-Kyle-Katarn.jpg

The lack of lightsaber activity is correct for the timeframe of the film - after all, the Jedi were all but wiped out between Episodes III and IV and the only two lightsabers in existence are those in the possession of Vader and Obi-wan.

Edited by vince14

...The lack of lightsaber activity is correct for the timeframe of the film - after all, the Jedi were all but wiped out between Episodes III and IV and the only two lightsabers in existence are those in the possession of Vader and Obi-wan.

Vader's, Obi-Wan's, and Anakin's for the big screen (possibly Yoda's?). In Disney's Star Wars Rebels TV show which takes place between Episodes III and IV there was Vader's, Obi-Wan's, Anakin's, the 3 Inquisitors, Kanan Jarrus, Ezra Bridger, Darth Maul (yeah he's been brought back in Rebels) that we've seen so far.

:cheers:

Vader's, Obi-Wan's, and Anakin's for the big screen (possibly Yoda's?). In Disney's Star Wars Rebels TV show which takes place between Episodes III and IV there was Vader's, Obi-Wan's, Anakin's, the 3 Inquisitors, Kanan Jarrus, Ezra Bridger, Darth Maul (yeah he's been brought back in Rebels) that we've seen so far.

:cheers:/>

Ah yes, forgot about Anakin's! :bandhead2:

Is Yoda's lightsaber ever seen after Episode III? I've never seen Rebels, so I don't know about the others.

Vince14, good point. I haven't seen Yoda's lightsaber since Ep III and he hasn't yet made an appearance in Rebels (but its been rumored to only be a matter of time). So its unclear at this point if he has one or not but we know that he did make heavy use of one in the Clone Wars TV series and in Episode III. Related, I forgot that Ashoka Tano, Anakin's former apprentice, is in Rebels as well and its unclear what really happened to her in this seasons finale.

As an aside, I wonder who the dark cloaked figure is kneeling in front of what looks like a holo projector? Vader? But Vader wearing a hood? Possible I suppose but not typical Vader type garb. If not Vader then who? Can't be the Emperor as who would the Emperor be kneeling to? Then again the Red shrouded Royal Guards are standing there. Snoke? Is Disney working Supreme Leader Snoke from TFA into this movie? I just found that little tidbit interesting.

Fun stuff!

Cheers!

Wow! Looks like it's going to be good. Love the Tank-isque vehicles with the Stormtroopers. I can see a lot of potentially good models coming from these new movies. AND one of the best things about them doing early timeline stuff is it would be justification for companies to update or completely come up with more NEW kits of original trilogy stuff. The force is strong in these times indeed.

Bill

Oh please...oh please....a new Star Destroyer kit...

+1000! The dated and long in the tooth MPC/AMT kit fetches ridiculous prices for what's in the box. Come on some company...any company...the Star Destroyer is as iconic a symbol in SW as most any vehicle. Lets get a new kit already!

Cheers!

Well I would think if the guys in charge of product development for any and ALL of the so-far licensed companies watched that trailer and didn't automatically think "We HAVE to make Star Destroyer and an AT-AT kit...NOW" then they are really not paying attention. They are such strong images of just that few minute trailer, I would think that's enough to gather interest in the models. If Dragon pulls off their AT-AT and/or Bandai does one in 1/48th.....just take my money.

Bill

BTW, i'm not a super well versed on the Star Destroyer details, was that antennae looking assembly in the middle of the bridge structure new (old...different) from the original ones. It looked more like a cruise-line type radar...or am I off base and seeing things?

I believe that's an Imperial I Class Star Destroyer with the antenna array between the shield generators. Compare stills of it with the Imperial II Class Star Destroyer from Episode IV and you can see the difference.

Found this:

classcompare04yt1_zpshfwezwsi.jpg

Imperial II on the left...Imperial I on the right...

Yes/no?

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Don

As an aside, I wonder who the dark cloaked figure is kneeling in front of what looks like a holo projector? Vader? But Vader wearing a hood? Possible I suppose but not typical Vader type garb. If not Vader then who? Can't be the Emperor as who would the Emperor be kneeling to? Then again the Red shrouded Royal Guards are standing there. Snoke? Is Disney working Supreme Leader Snoke from TFA into this movie? I just found that little tidbit interesting.

Fun stuff!

Cheers!

We all know who he's bowing to, we just don't want to admit it. It can only be one character.....Darth Binks! :woot.gif:

I have to admit that I don't usually get too hung up on those details when they are fictional craft. From my readings about movie-making in the hey-day of sci-fi movies after the first Star Wars came out, many differences in how ships looked from movie to movie were more a function of the model builders and their resources rather than any intentional change.

Even at this point with computer graphics, I wouldn't be surprised to find that level of detail is more a matter of artistic expression than any sort of intended generational change in ship design. I think the larger similarities are more the focus, such as when there's an intended overall "family resemblance" like the ARC-170 having some similar design components to the Incom X-Wing, and the new X-Wings and TIE fighters from TFA, etc.

I bet sci-fi modelers say similar things about F-16's..."if you've seen one then you've seen them all as they all look a like" :D. Kidding aside diehard sci-fi and SW guys look for little nuances in ships and such and if a ship doesn't fit they'll call it out. Heck there was discussion regarding the design of the SD's, Inquisitors Tie, and AT-AT's in SW Rebels cartoon so I'd bet that the SD's in this movie were purposely designed to fit with the movie. Considering the SD is as an iconic symbol as you are going to find in SW I am pretty sure attention was given to making sure its specific class fit.

Edited by Don

You may be right, but look at what's been done with the overall movie structure in general, both in Star Wars and other movies - Luke having the hots for Leia then they turn out to be siblings, all of the changes Lucas put into the new re-releases, and what Abrams did with Star Trek,etc.

I think they are more interested in their own story-telling than worrying about some technical ship detail. The model builders might be more attentive, but I think even they might would rather put something in they see as an improvement or their own stamp on it than be 100% accurate to another movie's representation.

Yeah, I agree with you that story lines will change and evolve indeed (i.e Luke and Leia as you pointed out) but I honestly think the movies and SW cartoons/TV pay pretty close attention to vehicle lineage. Its not just us modelers that notice these things but those whose hobby/passion is everything SW. I mean those SW sites can get some pretty heated debates going over this or that seemingly tiny little thing (think pre-shading vs. black basing on steroids :lol:).

I thought TFA did a great job with the Resurgent-Class SD's and moving the design forward 30ish years from ROTJ to TFA. Based on what I have looked at in what little we have to see from Rogue One's SD's I think they have done a good job back dating the Imperial II Class SD's. Anyhoo...the SD is one of my favorites and as I wrote earlier today I'd love a new tool kit.

• 4 months later...

Vader at the end...I've missed that classic sound.

Looks like a great SW movie based on what we're seeing and reading. Star Destroyers, classic looking Ties, X-Wings, Death Star, AT-AT's...all the things SW fans love in a SW movie. I (and my Son) are really looking forward to this!