I just read that those Imperial Walkers aren't AT-AT's at all but a different variant called an AT-ACT (All-Terrain Armored Cargo Transport). Also, in the trailer we get to see an entirely new Rebel ship in the U-Wing. Pretty cool stuff :thumbsup:!

I have a good feeling about this!

Hi Gents.

Same here! I watched the first trailer with interest and was waiting for this second one to appear and I'm liking what I see. This unashamed Star Wars and Star Trek fan has had to suffer that damn JJ Abrams put his stamp on both franchises. Please, of course I want action and good CGI, but is a coherent script without plot holes the size of the Death Star really too much to ask for? It never used to be beyond film makers. So, I like what I see so far and hope that this 'gritty' take on Star Wars isn't dumbed down before release.

Gary

Enough with the JJ-hate! :deadhorse1:

I'm loving what I'm seeing in Rouge Squadron. The fun part about being a parent is I get to take my kids and buy them the toys!

Agreed. My Son and I love TFA...and the toys :rolleyes:. We've both watched the trailers for Rogue One and are really looking forward to it. Should be another great December at the box office and under the tree ;) .

:cheers:

Lol

And let's wait to see it folks. Episode 3 had a wonderful preview...

I agree, but doing "better" than the prequels did to reach fan's expectation won't be that hard

but honestly, for me, apart from some vintage hardware/spaceships and darth vader, i'm not that much excited yet...

i don't have the same expectations as it doesn't have production level than Episode 7.

I like the looks of it do the the darker nature. Much of the original trilogy was darker before Lucas wussified it.

Episode 3 I actually think was pretty good aside from the terrible acting.

Well, to be fair, I think the prequels HAD to be brighter, less dark, "wussified" as you say, to contrast the darkness that set in after Palpatine took over. Had to show the bright, positive feel of the Republic, the "before and after" thing.

Well, to be fair, I think the prequels HAD to be brighter, less dark, "wussified" as you say, to contrast the darkness that set in after Palpatine took over. Had to show the bright, positive feel of the Republic, the "before and after" thing.

Yeah, which i don't think they really got. But I can see your point.

We are going to look back and have to explain that star wars movies didn't always happen once a year LOL...

Heck, not only that, my students and all this new generation don't understand that you only used to be able to see movies at the movie theater. They truly don't quite understand the difference between a "show" and a "movie." Everything you watch on the TV screen is now a "movie" I'm finding.

Remember in about '84 or so when they showed the original Star Wars (sorry, I hate saying ANH) on TV as the movie of the week? Was a huge deal!! Most average people had only seen it a couple of times total by that time, and this was after ROTJedi came out!

Heck, not only that, my students and all this new generation don't understand that you only used to be able to see movies at the movie theater. They truly don't quite understand the difference between a "show" and a "movie." Everything you watch on the TV screen is now a "movie" I'm finding.

Remember in about '84 or so when they showed the original Star Wars (sorry, I hate saying ANH) on TV as the movie of the week? Was a huge deal!! Most average people had only seen it a couple of times total by that time, and this was after ROTJedi came out!

Yes!!! I remember the adverts would run weeks in advance here in Oz!

Enough with the JJ-hate! :deadhorse1:/>

<.....>

Why?

So, it's okay to hate on Lucas for the prequels?

Some folks like myself we're disappointed in TFA ...

I'm looking forward to Rogue One with its Dark Forces influenced story ...

-Gregg

Why?

-Gregg

Mainly because all TFA hate has pretty much been :deadhorse1: in this thread dedicated to...well...TFA:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=289552&st=0

No sense re- :deadhorse1: here on the Rogue One thread. Head on down to TFA thread and have at it. I'd also include re-beating the terrible Lucas prequels here as well. Makes no sense at this stage. Once Rogue One gets released then comparisons can be made but right now all we have to go on are two teaser trailers.

Its fun to play the speculation game and watch the excitement build for a new SW movie. I think folks just want to keep this thread on topic (i.e. Rogue One) and play the "what if", "how come", "could", "should", "would" game without rehashing the same old debate over which SW movie is best/worst. Once Rogue One gets released then let the games begin in that department.

Back on topic, anyone else notice the new (or old...?) helmets on the Stormtroopers operating the hover tank in the trailers? Almost look a cross between Clone Trooper helmets and early Stormtroper helmets. There is just so many little nuggets to be seen in the trailers.

Yep..I remember that! In fact, during the summer the original was released (1977) I picked up a magazine featuring an ad in the back where you could buy clips of the movie on 16mm film. It was only about five minutes of footage, and as I recall it was like 50 bucks for B&W silent, and 100 for color with sound. Back then we would wait anxiously for any clips of the movie to be shown in any context on TV. Since VCRs weren't common yet, those fleeting glimpses were all we had, other than seeing it on the big screen. Fortunately since it was three years between movies, they would usually do a theatrical re-release of them every year or so. The last theatrical run I saw of the original Star Wars (prior to the 1997 revised versions) was in early 1983. The print was in really rough shape..full of all kinds of scratches and splices. But we still sat through two showings. I remember that during the previews they ran a trailer for "Revenge" Of The Jedi (the name was changed soon afterwards.)

Speaking of the modern generation, one of my newer workers is a relatively recent immigrant from China (probably in her early 20s.) The other day she was complaining about the price of cable TV, so another co-worker suggested she just get an antenna. "You mean, like a satellite dish?" she asked. "No..an antenna, yah know, you hook it up to your TV and receive over-the-air broadcasts for free." She was dumbfouned..she'd never heard of such a thing, and asked if it was even legal. Mind you, we all work AT A TV STATION!!

SN

That's hilarious. The other day I had a young teacher explain to our class that during the eighties you had intermission in the middle of every movie. I told her that there was no such thing. She snapped back how was I so sure. I told her I was ALIVE back then. She was teaching a film history class BTW.

Edited by THUD4444

As stated, VCRS were not commonplace till about after Return of The Jedi, 1983ish.

As such, what filled my Star Wars fix between the Original Trilogy films was the Marvel Comic books. The stories were the first expanded universe for SW fans back in the day.

I used to run inside the local convenience store while my mom pumped gas and look for the latest issue. If I was lucky, I got a soda and bubble gum too.

mvsw011.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

Longer theatrical features used to have "built in" intermissions, but I don't think I've seen a film that had one since the late 60s/early 70s (some DVD releases actually include them.."Tora! Tora! Tora!" comes to mind.) Now some theaters might intentionally add an intermission of their own simply by pausing between reels, so folks would go buy snacks and such. However the only time I can recall ever seeing an intermission during a theatrical movie since I started going to movies in the mid-70s was during a showing of "Titanic" in 1997. And I believe that was a case of the theater simply pausing between reels to give the audience a concession/bathroom break..the movie was three hours long, after all. But then again I've been to other equally long films and don't ever recall there being an intermission (I remember wishing there had been an intermission during "Blackhawk Down," not so much because of the running time, but simply because the film was so emotionally exhausting.)

SN

Toad when I was a kid I did the exact same thing. I actually got hooked on regular comics by those Star Wars books. I had the flu one week and sent my StepMother out for my Star Wars book. She accidentally picked up some Secret Wars comics instead. Next week I went out looking for X-Men comics as soon as I was better. That was an addiction that wasn't cured of until I noticed girls.

The only intermission I remember from my youth was at drive in double features. When they changed films. We didn't have one on RotJ. The only intermission I've ever gotten during a film was for Gone With the Wind at the Alabama Theatre. She was implying all movies had intermission in the 80s. That just isn't so.

Edited by THUD4444

Toad when I was a kid I did the exact same thing. I actually got hooked on regular comics by those Star Wars books. I had the flu one week and sent my StepMother out for my Star Wars book. She accidentally picked up some Secret Wars comics instead. Next week I went out looking for X-Men comics as soon as I was better. That was addiction that wasn't cured until I noticed girls.

The only intermission I remember from my youth was at drive in double features. When they changed films. We didn't have one on RotJ. The only intermission I've ever gotten during a film was for Gone With the Wind at the Alabama Theatre. She was implying all movies had intermission in the 80s. That just isn't so.

Yeah, Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars! I got them too as a kid. Got me into Spiderman also.