F-102 decal disaster? What would you do?

Been on a nostalgic kick lately and have been building an F-102 of the Vermont ANG, the plane that was patrolling the skies above the town I was born in and that my dad used to photograph from time to time.

So, I've realized I've got the gorgeous tail chevron with the ANG badge at slightly the wrong angle. Made the mistake of thinking the Minuteman in the badge should be standing straight up 90 degrees, but now, too late I study the bottom edge of the chevron and find it's noticeably pointed too far down at the front.

So what would YOU do? Is it bad enough to warrant buying a new sheet (Wolfpak decals) or is it close enough that you might accept the penalty?

...or, better yet...anyone have the Wolfpak sheet and not going to use the Vermont tail chevrons? :)/>

DSC00452.jpg

VTF102b.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Thanks Darius! Yes, it is bugging me; been staring at it for a couple of days wondering what to do, hence my post...but perhaps I can be persuaded by public opinion if it turns out to be much like yours....

See though, compare the bottom edge of the chevron with the top "line" of the serial numbers below it in both photos....

Andrew,

Where did you buy the Wolfpak decals, I tried Lucky and Sprue Bros. and they did not stock them. If I could easily get a replacement I would change it. This aircraft means something to you, it deserves your best efffort !

I grew up, and still live, just 25 miles north of the border close to Burlington, by the time I went to airshows, the F-102s were long gone... They have an airshow this year over Lake Champlain, hope we get a sneak peak at their future resident, F-35 !

I would leave it. Just make sure the one on the other side goes on at the same angle. Is that possible, given the angle between the minuteman and the chevron? Otherwise you may need to cut to get this effect.

If that already bothers you, I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the turbine warning stripe, should I? :whistle:/>

Oh, @#$%.... Okay, go ahead and tell me; at least I have some replacements for THAT simple fix :lol: Never built a Convair Delta in my life, nor did I ever think I would....

I would leave it. Just make sure the one on the other side goes on at the same angle. Is that possible, given the angle between the minuteman and the chevron? Otherwise you may need to cut to get this effect.

Nah, they're both on....otherwise I could have at least had ONE side right. After all, as Red Green would point out, nobody's ever going to see both sides at the same time...unless you're in a REALLY bad accident.... <_<

Andrew,

Where did you buy the Wolfpak decals, I tried Lucky and Sprue Bros. and they did not stock them. If I could easily get a replacement I would change it. This aircraft means something to you, it deserves your best efffort !

I grew up, and still live, just 25 miles north of the border close to Burlington, by the time I went to airshows, the F-102s were long gone... They have an airshow this year over Lake Champlain, hope we get a sneak peak at their future resident, F-35 !

I get them direct from Wolfpak, at Mill Creek Consultants:

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-14.html

I haven't been back to New England in over thirty years, and I'm getting really nostalgic.

Oh, @#$%.... Okay, go ahead and tell me; at least I have some replacements for THAT simple fix :lol:/> Never built a Convair Delta in my life, nor did I ever think I would....

You have it a bit too far forward. There are three same sized rectangular panels on the tail, and the turbine warning strips should be right under the centre of the most forward one. If you draw an imaginary line from the TWS across the tail, it should end right behind those two rods on the tail leading edge. You can just make out those three panels on this TF-102. Should be easy to fix.

If that already bothers you, I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the turbine warning stripe, should I? :whistle:/>

LOL.. tough audience around here!

Maybe hit it with some decal setting solution? I had a similar problem and just kept soaking the decal until it finally came loose. I was extra gentle, just nudged it into place a bit at a time using a wet paint brush. I also used water with a small amount of white glue diluted in. Once it was in place, a bit more setting solution and when dry, I shot a coat of future over it.

LOL.. tough audience around here!

Maybe hit it with some decal setting solution? I had a similar problem and just kept soaking the decal until it finally came loose. I was extra gentle, just nudged it into place a bit at a time using a wet paint brush. I also used water with a small amount of white glue diluted in. Once it was in place, a bit more setting solution and when dry, I shot a coat of future over it.

Hey, I'm glad to know now rather than too late about the stripe! :D

Not sure if I can move the decal; it's been sitting two days, and Solvaset was used on it....maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it's beyond moving?

Hey, I'm glad to know now rather than too late about the stripe! :D/>

Not sure if I can move the decal; it's been sitting two days, and Solvaset was used on it....maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it's beyond moving?

Unless you are ok with leaving it in place (it really doesn't look that noticeable), you've got nothing to lose. If you are pulling the decal and replacing, might as well try to move it first and save the cost of a 2nd set of decals. I use solvaset on all my decals and was still able to loosen that one I had an issue with. Your mileage might vary.

Nice job on that Duece by the way (at least from what I can see of it), good choice of markings as well.

Ya know what else bugs me? In comparing photos of Vermont ANG Deuces, I've noticed lots of variations on the positions of the word "VERMONT" on the tails (see photo in post #1) and the script "The Green Mountain Boys" on the wing tanks...but, nooooo, lucky me, the tail flash seems to be consistent all 'round!!! :bandhead2:

Been on a nostalgic kick lately and have been building an F-102 of the Vermont ANG, the plane that was patrolling the skies above the town I was born in and that my dad used to photograph from time to time.

So, I've realized I've got the gorgeous tail chevron with the ANG badge at slightly the wrong angle. Made the mistake of thinking the Minuteman in the badge should be standing straight up 90 degrees, but now, too late I study the bottom edge of the chevron and find it's noticeably pointed too far down at the front.

So what would YOU do? (snip)

VTF102b.jpg

I'm looking at the photo of the real jets with my iPhone so the image is pretty small, but it seems there is some variation between the tail markings. For sure "Vermont" is stenciled in a couple of different locations between the jets. I think the chevron on your model looks fine, and who is to say it doesn't exactly match one of the assigned F-102s that's not in your photo?

Based on my experience working on ANG and active duty F-4s, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your model matched a real jet from that unit. There was plenty of variability in the markings of the jets I worked on.

I say leave well enough alone, don't try to fix the chevrons!

Scott W.

Have you noticed that on the photo you posted above, the word VERMONT sits at different place on each aircraft ?

Yup, that's what I was saying. Why couldn't it be the fin flash?? Then at least I'd have a good argument....

And on the profiles, the turbine strip is not at the good place either ?

Maybe that's what messed up my placement of those. But at least that's a much easier fix.

I'm looking at the photo of the real jets with my iPhone so the image is pretty small, but it seems there is some variation between the tail markings. For sure "Vermont" is stenciled in a couple of different locations between the jets. I think the chevron on your model looks fine, and who is to say it doesn't exactly match one of the assigned F-102s that's not in your photo?

Based on my experience working on ANG and active duty F-4s, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your model matched a real jet from that unit. There was plenty of variability in the markings of the jets I worked on.

I say leave well enough alone, don't try to fix the chevrons!

Scott W.

Well, I think the aspect that's driving me crazy is that the chevrons ALL seem to have their lower surface almost parallel with the ground, not angled. And, I hate to say, I think it looks a lot better....