F-102 decal disaster? What would you do?

..but, nooooo, lucky me, the tail flash seems to be consistent all 'round!!! :bandhead2:/>/>

Not really, here is a 73 shot that shows the tail flash at close to the angle you have it. - you'd just have to repaint the airplane silver!

a56-1489-L4krug19730300_zps4onu3p5c.jpg

The problem with moving it is that the minuteman in the guard logo absolutely should be vertical, so if you move it this is what you will have:

DSC00452_zps9ztcmwmr.jpg

So it becomes a question of which will bug you more. I'd leave it, but it is your model and you should absolutely do whatever will make you happiest with it.

I moved the turbine warning stripe while I was at it, but here is a tail shot that shows where it should be

a57-0822-RtailElang19750600_zpspi9j6uba.jpg

Edited by Superheat

From AV O's link above...tail flash has a definite slope:

Yep, very slight. But nowhere near what mine had.

Tried soaking and trying to move it...no chance. Gotta say, seems like once those Wolfpak decals are set, they're REALLY set. Normally that would be a good thing....

I hate to be the one to throw the fox into the hen house - BUT; I think the chevron decal is too short!?

Looking at all the pics of the real birds the tip is damn near at the pitot tubes at the front of the fin. The decal comes no where close to the tubes?? Maybe it's just my old eyes but your decal appears to placed right but needs a bit more length at the front, IMHO?!

Probably late to the party here but I'd leave that tail decal alone. Had you not mentioned anything I think the vast majority of folks would never have known that it was ever so slightly off. Hey, we've all been there when something so small goes wrong with an otherwise great build and it bothers us to no end. But you have a nice looking Deuce there as is in my opinion :thumbsup: .

:cheers:

I've fixed some models built by others and had to redo some of mine.

If the "commission" or my "bugging myself" dictated, I'd try that idea of moving it---great suggestion that I would not have thought of.

If that failed, I'd sand it (amazing how high the ridge of a decal is if painted over), repaint, get the replacements.

If you display it and someone sees it who knows the type well, you'll be reminded somewhat directly of the error.

So I'd go with the fix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yessir, Are you going to enter it into a contest? Even then, it probably wouldn't be noticed unless the judge was a DCC on one of the airplanes from VT. Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed anything if you hadn't brought it up. Even more honestly, I still don't see anything wrong. I'll bet if you showed this model to ten people, you would get nothing but kudos. Looks great to me.