Question for German ARC members

What is "Deutsche Post Brief?" I had thought it was German Post Service.

The reason I ask is I just purchased something on eBay thinking it was being shipped by the German Postal Service, now I suspect it is DHL. I avoid Couriers at all costs, because I don't want them charging their obscene fee's at the door.

No wonder it was only $7.00 shipping to Canada.

Brief international, deutsche Post

It is nothing dangerous! It is the classic letter and you can send different sizes and weights. In your case from Germany to Canada, means: international. Deutsche Post and DHL is more or less the same. But do not worry, when the sender had chosen the right kind and size of "Letter" you will not be charged for the postage. If there are custom fees is another topic.

Here, the letter "Maxi": maximum weight 1000 gr (=1 kg), L+B+H = 90 cm max. means: it is a parcel!But the price of 7 EUR is really economic...

For example: the book prices or decals for the winners of the 2015 Tiger-GB I preferred to send by international letter because it is still affordable!

Edited by tobiK

What is "Deutsche Post Brief?" I had thought it was German Post Service.

The reason I ask is I just purchased something on eBay thinking it was being shipped by the German Postal Service, now I suspect it is DHL. I avoid Couriers at all costs, because I don't want them charging their obscene fee's at the door.

No wonder it was only $7.00 shipping to Canada.

Why didn't you check with the seller before you bought it?

Why didn't you check with the seller before you bought it?

It looked straight forward, it wasn't until I looked as some of his other auctions did I notice he shipped everything by a courier method. He did not state that in my auction.

I'm not accustomed to any eBay seller using a courier service for shipment.

Brief international, deutsche Post

It is nothing dangerous! It is the classic letter and you can send different sizes and weights. In your case from Germany to Canada, means: international. Deutsche Post and DHL is more or less the same. But do not worry, when the sender had chosen the right kind and size of "Letter" you will not be charged for the postage. If there are custom fees is another topic.

Here, the letter "Maxi": maximum weight 1000 gr (=1 kg), L+B+H = 90 cm max. means: it is a parcel!But the price of 7 EUR is really economic...

For example: the book prices or decals for the winners of the 2015 Tiger-GB I preferred to send by international letter because it is still affordable!

All his auctions list shipment at 7.00 EUR regardless of size or weight (kits and decals are all the same). His other auctions state DHL and courier service, mine didn't.

I guess time will tell.

I paid roughly $60.00 Canadian for a 1/32 kit, including shipping. That is a good value, it sells for roughly $90.00 Canadian in our shops. But if it arrives and DHL charges another $60.00 at the door that value is gone,

DHL is the package service for the Deutsche Post. Every parcel or package sent by Deutsche Post is handled by DHL.

7 EUR is the normal postage for an insured package within Germany. I've once sent a coffee maker from Germany to the US, and it was about 26 Euros. If the seller did not realize that he is shipping to Canada, it is his fault, and he lost 20 Euros. Do you have a shipping confirmation from the seller?

I am not sure if DHL may charge you as the buyer when the postage was not paid for fully. Hell... they even can't track a shipment If I tell them that a package on the way to me was lost. The sender has to inititate that request, as the sender paid for the package.

So you better ask for the shipping confirmation, or tracking number if you haven't received that already.

I can say from my own experience when receiving stuff from Germany I've never had to pay anything extra... it's been a while but IIRC DHL only brings it as far as Canada and then Canada Post takes over once here...

I can say from my own experience when receiving stuff from Germany I've never had to pay anything extra... it's been a while but IIRC DHL only brings it as far as Canada and then Canada Post takes over once here...

Good to hear, I have had to pay once for a work shipment by DHL. I have never had anything to my door.

DHL is the package service for the Deutsche Post. Every parcel or package sent by Deutsche Post is handled by DHL.

7 EUR is the normal postage for an insured package within Germany. I've once sent a coffee maker from Germany to the US, and it was about 26 Euros. If the seller did not realize that he is shipping to Canada, it is his fault, and he lost 20 Euros. Do you have a shipping confirmation from the seller?

I am not sure if DHL may charge you as the buyer when the postage was not paid for fully. Hell... they even can't track a shipment If I tell them that a package on the way to me was lost. The sender has to inititate that request, as the sender paid for the package.

So you better ask for the shipping confirmation, or tracking number if you haven't received that already.

It says it is shipped but there is no shipping confirmation number.

Edited by Scooby
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a follow-up to this post, I wasn't dinged with a courier charge. This purchase was a bargain!

I paid $9.90 ($7.90 US) Canadian to ship a 1/32 kit from Germany to Canada!

The same kit on eBay is listed as $23.06 Cdn to $46.08 Cdn to ship from the US to Canada. Not one of those kits is cheaper than what I paid out of Germany!