Bathurst 1000 Race Car Models

I don't build model cars, but our daughter is at Uni in Bathurst & this weekend we went there so my wife could race the cycling hill climb up the side of the famous Mt Panorama car race circuit.

We always stay at the Rydges on Mt Panorama and recently they put a display case in the foyer full of model cars (1/24 scale?) depicting each winner of the Bathurst 1000 (a 1000km touring car race) since 1963....all except for 1964 and 65, which are still to be built by the looks. More info - http://www.mount-panorama.com.au/history/bathurst-1000-history.html

Here are some photos:

P1020759_zpsjzcwx0cf.jpg

P1020761_zpss5rk6yuc.jpg

P1020763_zpszpndya6w.jpg

P1020762_zpsxai9ujik.jpg

Below probably the most famous Bathurst cars - the Peter Brock 05 cars. 05 signifies the alcohol limit here in Oz above which you will be in trouble (0.05). Sadly, Peter Brock probably our most famous touring car driver was killed in a vintage car rally in 2006 - http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rally-ace-smashes-into-tree/2006/09/08/1157222310976.html

P1020769_zpsd4ypjifa.jpg

P1020764_zps1ih31x6d.jpg

P1020766_zpsxwjpabom.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Here is a hot lap of the circuit with Jenson Button -

At 1:46 into the video he passes the Rydges Motel which is on his right.

It is a really difficult steep circuit. When races are not on it is a public road, with houses and driveways along it, and a speed limit of 60kmh. I've driven it in our Mazda 3 and our daughters Toyota Yaris. How you can safely do any more than 50-60kmh up the top steep windy bits is beyond me. It would also be the No.1 spot in the whole of Australia to get a speeding fine, but everytime we stay, we see someone getting booked by the Highway Patrol.

There are some epic prangs up there like this one last year, where the poor flag marshalls cage got wiped out -

Edited by Thommo

Are those die casts? I didn't know they had plastic kits of really any of those cars. Unless they're resin kits and still probably short supply.

Cool display though. It's good they started showing that race here in the States. It's one of the pantheon of top races in the world.