I just measured out the outline of this beast in my office. Holy huge airplane! I'm going to need to entirely rearrange my whole room to have it in a good/safe display area.

It will be worth the re-arranging trust me. I know a few things about "large aircraft" displays. I'm curious about your display base for the beast ??

Steve

It's big. I still have no idea where mine is going when I'm done. I'm afraid I'll have to build a sturdy wooden case to store it away. I had to buy a card table just to lay out the sprues so I could work on it.

I always said there is no way I would spend this kind of money. But after seeing pieces and parts of the big B-17 at the nats, I'm starting to change my mind. I've always wanted to build a Memphis Belle. It might be time. I just need to figure out how to find a vendor that takes PayPal so I can put it on credit LOL! Or I'll start saving now be stashing cash into my PP account. The Mrs. won't catch me this way. Hehehe.. She feels the other 175 kits on the shelf is all I need. Silly woman.

I'm surprised that it seems people are way more excited for this than the G. I understand loving the F more than the G but it also seems like people are blown away by the kit itself. When it really should be basically the same kit as the G.

For as long as I can remember I've said there's no way I'd put down that much $$$$$ for such a huge kit, especially since I'd have no place to put it once its finished, as I live in an apartment. The biggest kits I've every bought were the 1/48th scale B-17s by Revell and Monogram and Monograms B-24 & B-29. Then Italeri came out with their 1/32 scale PT-Boat, which I bought, then I picked up Tamiya's 1/32 scale Spit Mk IXC and then recently just bought the Fly Models 1/32 scale Hurricane Mk IIC. Because of the question of what to do with these three kits when finished they are still sitting in my stash closet.

I don't know why, but there's something about the B-17, especially the "F" model, that always gets my modeling juices going. Maybe its because I grew up in the '60s and one of my favorite TV shows was 12 O'clock High, plus I have the original 1949 movie on VHS, both of which used combat footage clips featuring mostly B-17Fs.

I've come close a couple of times pulling the trigger and pre-order the "F" but I've stopped, as I'm hoping that soon some company will downsize HKs kits to 1/48th scale, but I don't see that happening, if at all, any time soon, so who knows what'll happen.

• 2 months later...

I had to call Freetime today to update my cc information since it's been so darn long.  They said my authorization had expired too due to the delay.  However, that did not affect my kit reservation, just an FYI for you guys.  They also said they believe the Forts are on the boat headed their way! :woo:

• 4 weeks later...

Hehehe...mine will be here tomorrow from Sprue Bros.  I'll be examining the sprues tomorrow evening.  I did see some minor issues and I've decided the misshapen nose isn't a deal-breaker after all (I'm getting too damned old to care about absolutes).  Having said that, I'll still identify what I can (and will) fix and what I will not fix.  I say, to each his own and I'll be interested to see just how many different combinations of B-17F I can come up with (without major surgery).

Saw one today at Freetime Hobbies, in a word it's awesome! Gotta think about this one, but for those that have one on the way, get ready for a monster kit! The thing that jumped out to me was the surface detail, really nice.

Chuck

One marking option is Knock-out Dropper, 41-24605.  HKM shows the cocarde with a blue border yet all the profiles I can find show red. One clear B/W photo of a companion bird shows a dark border but without knowing the film type there's no way to tell the color.  The kit markings specify November 1943 so that could be of help.

I'm drawn to Wulfe Hound 41-24585. Simple yet eye-catching Zircus Rozarias scheme. Maybe I'll do that instead of trying to decipher the cocarde border color.  Except for the swastikas on the tail, all the markings appear to be easy to mask and paint and the serial can be cobbled from the kit decals.