HMS Spartan SSN with DDS

This is my conversion of the Airfix HMS Trafalgar into the earlier Swiftsure class sub HMS Spartan.

350-HMS%20Spartan_11.jpg

This sub was fitted with a Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) for covert operations with the Special Boat Squadron (SBS).

I was inspired by this series of photos - the only ones I have ever seen of the DDS.

On my model the hull is shortened by 7mm from the Trafalgar kit, the single side vents are replaced by twin vents and the rudder is shortened by approx 5mm - all to make a Swiftsure class sub.

350-HMS%20Spartan_12.jpg

For HMS Spartan, the decking behind the sail is extended to port and a scratch-built DDS is fitted - as well as a bathtub-shaped bulge on the starboard flank.

350-HMS%20Spartan_13.jpg

I have tried to replicated the missing anechoic tiles seen in the photos when she was operating in Brazil......

350-HMS%20Spartan_14.jpg

Two 1/350 scale crew figures are added to give scale....

Closeup showing the DDS on the extended decking.....

350-HMS%20Spartan_15.jpg

Starboard view showing the DDS, rear 'bathtub', twin vents and general scruffy appearance of this boat.

350-HMS%20Spartan_16.jpg

I do wish Airfix would follow up their Trafalgar with some more submarine models - especially WWII types.

Now, where is that photo of HMS Astute fitted with a DDS ????

Ken