The second of my (anticipated four) projects for this GB is Eduard's excellent 1/48 MiG-21. This is one of the earlier, more lightly armed versions of the aircraft.

I'm not great at NMF, but the kit fits so well, that I'm not anticipating having to fix many gaps, which tends to marr my metalic finishes.

I began with the exhaust pipe. Here it is in two sections. The green on the blades may be the wrong shade, but it's barely visible once it goes deep down the pipe.

If I'm not too far off, I will use the same shade for the wheels and shock-cone.

IMG_20160417_195245508_zpsytv2owzz.jpg

Some cockpit work. I really should have used the plastic parts. I love PE cickpits in 1/72, but in 48th things look a bit flat.

IMG_20160422_220800601_HDR_zpsrp9sj2bj.jpg

Particularly on the side consoles. Oh well.

IMG_20160422_220827428_HDR_zpsrtdfcdyx.jpg

I really like this stage of the build, when the big components come together and the subject takes on its shape. Fit was near perfect.

IMG_20160423_231734558_HDR_zpsnv9nxzyc.jpg

And the cockpit ended up looking okay, too.

IMG_20160423_231830410_HDR_zpszcfnk9r8.jpg

Thanks, Yardbird.

Here is a bit more.

The main landing gear well assembly features some great detail.

IMG_20160429_224631103_HDR_zpsgz9zrs6x.jpg

some oil staining,

IMG_20160429_224655961_HDR_zpswgxzoty2.jpg

And the wings attached. The back end of the wing assembly was the only area that needed filler. Some panel lines will need to be reworked. I'm concerned about how it will look under a natural metal finish. :(

IMG_20160501_195019607_zpsesrkycuw.jpg

I hate, HATE HATE rescribing panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Surged ahead with this one over the weekend. Tonight I got it sprayed in a semigloss black in preparation for some Model Air Metalics. Really curious to see how these will work. I'll wait a few days for the black to cure first.

IMG_20160509_215753916_zpsvd5cifzc.jpg

Enough waiting :) . Here it is with a coat of model air Metalics aluminum. Spraying the stuff couldn't have been easier. We'll see about its adhesive properties when o mask off a few areas to paint dissimilar panels.

IMG_20160510_223501443_HDR_zpslt0f8dba.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a little while, but I finished painting all of the dielectric panels and began work on the gear. I want to weather the tires a bit and give the legs some light wear and tear.

Eduard providea PE parts for the complex break lines on the main gear, but they looked flat and hokey. Its not a detail I'm especially concerned with, so I'm leaving it off.

IMG_20160522_212158156_HDR.jpg

Looks great.I must get this paints.I`ve heard and seen so much about them that makes me get them.

To be perfectly honest, I don't love them. The tone and texture of the finish is pretty close to Tamiya spray lacquer metallic. The finish is somewhat fragile. While it doesn't pull up with tape, it is not very scratch resistant. I sprayed some panels with Tamiya silver, and that finish is hard as nails!

The Vallejo aluminum may be nice for small areas that need a quick spray, but for overall body work, I'll be sticking to Tamiya sprays

I am using MM chrome silver and other metalizers and those are great.Also the tamiya enamel chrome silver and silver are probably the best ones I have ever used and seen.When combined with the enamel glos black as a primer you get mirorr like finish that is drying really fast and it is verry hard and resistant.