Silly Photo-etch Question…Maybe It’s Not Silly?

Hi All,

I tried searching for this and couldn’t really find anything (I’m not the best “Googler” however), but maybe you all can help me out.

When I’m using Eduard photo-etch, mine has a grayish-silver coating. I notice often in the In Progress Builds that a lot of people applying the photo-etch have a nice brass (yellow gold) color. How do people get this color? When I sand my etch I can get the brassy color, but it’s not uniform. I tried soaking my etch in vinegar to help with paint bite, but that doesn’t take away the coating.

How do you guys do it? I see a ton of pictures of people using nice yellow brass etch. I can only get that with sanding, but you can’t get the coating off the recesses. It’s almost like it came that way.

Maybe I’m just being silly. Maybe it doesn’t matter. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dave

I've seen sets that come in both finishes the shiney brass and the matt greyish colour, however both are the same and as far as I know it doesn't matter once the paint is on.

I figured it doesn't matter once the paint was on either. I didn't realize they came both ways. I have seen pictures of some with with the same set I have, mine is gray and theirs was yellow brass. Very strange. Thanks for the info!

Different metals are used, brass and stainless steel. I'm sure there's technical reasons to use stainless, but brass is most common. PE can also be pre-painted. Is you set just the one color or several? I've not used pre-painted yet, but I believe I have some in my stash. Which specific set is it? The manufacturer's description may shed some light.

I'd love for there to be pre-primed PE with a more durable primer coat that I can achieve, as that's usually my biggest problem. I've been trying lately various pickling process, e.g., soaking in hot vinegar water or soak in vinegar then sit in warm oven. Seems to help, but it isn't as robust as I'd like.

It doesn't really matter what color it is for functional purposes. I've got sets from Eduard that were pure brass and others that looked like they'd been oxidized or burnished. Just prime it with Mr. Metal Primer before painting and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it mattered, but didn't realize they came two ways (or always brass but oxidized).

I have at least two sets. One Eduard EA-6B (actually the exterior, wheel bays and wing folds, so three) and another Eduard for the Harrier. All in 1/48. They all are an oxidized grayish color. I have never seen brass colored except for on ARC.

I usually use Mr. Metal Primer, but every now and then some Tamiya tape will pull up a chunk of paint. Sometimes I sand them too, and that's how I noticed the brass (in addition to online photos).