Kitty Hawk's upcoming 48th Scale Su-22M-3 & M-4

2 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

So Kittyhawk facebook page says, Su-34, Su-35, Etandard and thisone, all coming at the end of February. Can that really happen? 

Well, two of the four (Etendard and Su-22) are already available in Asia and soon here in the States. Judging from this, I believe the answer is yes, they'll make it.

5 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Fuselage is broken into three pieces. So six total pieces that need to come together with no steps or gaps?  Why???

A modelling buddy of mine is already putting the kit together and reports that the fit is excellent even though the fuselage is broke into multiple sections.

5 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Two reasons:

1. So the kit can fit into the small boxes they use.

2. Easier to make other variants.

Larry

FYI, the box they used for this release is double the size of the one used for their Gripen, Jaguar and Mirage F-1 kits. It is also larger than their Super Etendard box.

Mark

48 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

FYI, the box they used for this release is double the size of the one used for their Gripen, Jaguar and Mirage F-1 kits. It is also larger than their Super Etendard box.

Mark

Thanks for that info. I stand corrected.

Larry

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, mingwin said:

i'm also glad i'd never invested in the Ciro twin seater conversion set (even if i'd been very tempted from time to times then...)

Actually, the set #410 by Ciro Models will fit the new Kitty Hawk kit like a glove. Were I you, I'd get one set ASAP!

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, Laurent said:

And I like KH's lowered slats and flaps option. 

Laurent, what is the new KH kit wing glove's width compared to the old Smer/KoPro kit like? Is it narrower than the latter or is it the same? One thing I could never live with on the KP kit. :gr_barf:

a2152ddf753c303c96fe193844301b9e.jpg

Overwhelmed by the beauty of this pic!  

Henka

Laurent, what is the new KH kit wing glove's width compared to the old Smer/KoPro kit like? Is it narrower than the latter or is it the same? One thing I could never live with on the KP kit. :gr_barf:

I don't own it yet.

I like also...

2826749.jpg?v=v42d4f43d10c

3 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

Actually, the set #410 by Ciro Models will fit the new Kitty Hawk kit like a glove. Were I you, I'd get one set ASAP!

Well, that is good news indeed, as I have two of those (Ciro 410's that is) in the stash!

7 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

a2152ddf753c303c96fe193844301b9e.jpg

Henka

I have no doubt that the Ciro Twin seater conversion set was great. in every picture i've seen  it, it looks very nice.

but  the breakdown of this kit indicates that a Twin seater is also to be kitted by Kitty Hawk sooner or later... and as i'm in no hurry, i'll wait the request time.

Well, there's an Asian modelling mate who happens to be grafting the Ciro Model set #410 to the new kit as we speak. Will ask him for pictures, but if you cared to surf the web for a while, you might learn what the area of concern with the old kit was, which is ahead of the new kit's, as far as I was told; here:

ciro-fuselage-assy-1.jpg 

ciro-overall-test-fit.jpg

I myself use to concur on the idea that just because a set reads "to fit an specific kit", that doesn't mean that it cannot make to fit just any other similar kit in the very same scale, that is.

Nice castings those Ciro Models ones.

Cheers,

Henka 

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, ChippyWho said:

If you're not that bothered about the KH kit, take a look at what one of those cheeky dudes at Britmodeller hacked out with the Kopro + Ciro bits...

That's an awesome build. My mate in Hong Kong, the one who's grafting the Ciro Models #410 set onto the new KH kit, has also got the KoPro kit; he says that using the new Kitty Hawk kit as a template, it would be possible to fix the issue with the KoPro forward fuselage. The fixing involves a cut behind the cockpit bulkhead, or something like that.

Hope to have the pictures in order to share them with those of you truly interested.  

• 1 month later...

I got the kit 2 weeks ago and after some days I've put it into the shelf. There are a lot of mistakes may be easy to correct (lots of instruction errors, decals, variants, armament...), the worst thing I guess is the intake cone. Hope aftermarket will help soon, also with good decals (there are some for Polish and Russian) - @Kotey: Any plans...? East German Navy? Stencils?:rolleyes:

Ok, got it, lots of mistakes. But, the question of the year is, is this kit an improvement over the much earlier OEZ/KP Su-17/22? I am not going to ask whether it is worth the extra money, since that is a much more subjective question and will really depend upon the individual.

Issues of the KH kit are relatively easy to mitigate/fix. 

I. Middle under fuselage concavity

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001168-kitty-hawks-148th-scale-su-22m-3-m-4/&do=findComment&comment=2649260

II.  Absence of intake splitter

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001168-kitty-hawks-148th-scale-su-22m-3-m-4/&do=findComment&comment=2655201

III. Windscreen framing "rounded corners" 

Masking, surfacer and painting should do. 

Edited by Laurent

The Trumpeter 1/48 Su-9 also omitted the splitter plate and the stabilization vein. It was easy enough to fix, as this will be. Would I prefer that it was provided in the KH kit, but not a deal breaker for me since I wrestled the KP kit into submission.

On 6.3.2017 at 11:30 AM, Floggerman said:

I got the kit 2 weeks ago and after some days I've put it into the shelf. There are a lot of mistakes may be easy to correct (lots of instruction errors, decals, variants, armament...), the worst thing I guess is the intake cone. Hope aftermarket will help soon, also with good decals (there are some for Polish and Russian) - @Kotey: Any plans...? East German Navy? Stencils?:rolleyes:

Some additional marking options:

Su-17/22M4 GDR,Germany, Poland, Ukraine:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD48010 

Su-17M4 USSR with nose art + stencil data :

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD48011 

(upcoming) Su-22 M3/4 Angola, Poland, Iraq, Syria

+ stencil data for desert / light grey camouflaged Fitters:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HD48032  

Edited by Diego