Cessna O-2 DON'T SHOOT

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:46 AM, Aerodata.it said:

Welcome back to Oscar Deuce!

This is my result, hope you like it! It took 6 consecutive gold medals in 2017 Italian challenge ;)

39468799681_c78969ae7c_c.jpg

39438205712_162f3aa8ca_c.jpg

39468799301_b91a38c543_c.jpg

P.S. I'm on short final with 1/48 detailed Bird Dog and AOA decals for s/n 57-6273

Cheers, Alex

I doubt if any of you believe this, but that O-2 (DaNang AFB) was flown by a guy named Gary out of Gary, Indiana.  White as snow, and often wore a straw cowboy hat. So how do I know who he is? He was my regular FAC from May 68 till I went home. Started out with an O-1, and suddenly showed up in an O-2. The boy was as wild and crazy as anybody in country. Think all he did was the 196th LIB and us.

The other Gary in I-Corp

gary

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Winnie said:

Lol, I'd give you 5 thumbs up if I could Gary!

Welcome home.

I often wondered if "Gary" made it home in one piece. To be exact I often worry if everybody I was in contact with got home in one piece. 

Anyway; I refuse to think of him not getting outta that place alive. 

gary

Covey FAC then, 20th TASS. The unit was O-2 and OV-10, usually flew the OV-10s during the day and the O-2 at night. 504th TASW I believe, but that could be wrong. Just finished Tom Yarborough's book about flying FAC out of Da Nang in the OV-10.

Edited by Winnie

I can't tell you about events after March 69 and flying FAC out of DaNang, but can tell you about events from all of 68 thru Feb. 69. Never saw anything bot an OV1 doing night missions out west. Not saying they didn't, but just never saw any. All O-2 and O-1 flights we saw were in daylight hours. Yet we saw the OV-1's headed to the border every night just before sundown. 

Most fire missions and even a very few air strikes after dark came from ground support. Once you got 25 miles inland and it got dark; you were on your own most all the time. Listening to the "fire push", you pretty much knew what was going on for a 25 klick circle around you (often closer to a 50 klick circle). Normally arty missions called if by infantry and CAV units. Yet many of these strikes were pre planned with intel gained from daylight over flights and Special Forces recon teams.  On the otherhand it was common for an O-1 or O-2 to take flight about 4:30 or 5:00 am to try an catch the other guys moving at first light. Of course these flight would leave later as the day got shorter. Some days you knew before the flight took off that he was coming, and other days he just appeared. Normally a FAC could be sent in within fifteen minutes as they were all within sixty miles of you. Still when the sun set, the OV-1 was king.

gary