Kitty Hawk's newest 1/35th scale helicopters- AH-6J and MH-6J

3 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

Modeling Madness has an in-box preview up. Unfortunately Scott stopped posting sprue shots in his previews in favour of instruction scans a while back but it's still a good read: https://modelingmadness.com/scott/mod/previews/kh/kh350003.htm

Pretty bad when the author doesn't know anything about the subject.  He calls it a plane throughout and says it should be painted overall helo drab with a dark gull gray interior.

Edited by HeavyArty
On 11/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Kitty Hawk

Floyd

Hey Floyd,

I saw the kit in the LHS today and they indicated the figures would maybe be out later this year.  Will they be sold separately or in the kit?  The kit I looked at today didnt have them but on the sprues I saw several rifles.  Which males me think they could possibly be included but have a feeling they wont be.  

Thanks 

Edited by mike_45

I'm not sure.  They first mentioned a special edition of the kit with the figures then the very next day they said something about them separately available by Christmas.  So bottom line- I don't know.  The sprues do include rifles for the pilots personal armor to add to the cockpit as you see fit.

My online build has started on the Werner's Wings Facebook page.  I might include it here but working with the image program is always a pain.

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, DanW said:

Is it just me being blind or they forgot to add paint colors/numbers?

Flat Black, everything, inside and out.  What more do you need?  Usually the paint call-outs in directions are wrong anyways.  It is better if you do your own research on paint colors.

Edited by HeavyArty
On 11/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, DanW said:

Is it just me being blind or they forgot to add paint colors/numbers?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10490885

Despite being told just paint everything flat black, you'll be doing your model a disservice.  Not only will it look incredibly boring, it won't resemble a typical, in-service Littlebird.   I'd suggest doing some google searches of the real thing first off.   Most will show the exterior is anything but uniform flat black.  The paint they use weathers quickly; most in-service helos seem to be faded and show a lot of touch up work in different tones. Draw your own conclusions and go from their.   Personally, I'd use something like Testor's Interior Black for the interior.   Adds a bit of visual contrast, plus the cockpit seems to be a bit "blacker" than the rest of the airframe, if that makes any sense.

If you want to represent a Littlebird that just rolled out of the paint shop, go with overall flat black.   It's your model...

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Despite being told just paint everything flat black, you'll be doing your model a disservice....If you want to represent a Littlebird that just rolled out of the paint shop, go with overall flat black...

Of course you have to weather it to make it look realistic.  He didn't ask how to weather and finish it, just what color(s) to use.  Flat Black is the basic overall color.

Edited by HeavyArty
On 11/27/2017 at 12:51 PM, HeavyArty said:

Flat Black, everything, inside and out.  What more do you need?  Usually the paint call-outs in directions are wrong anyways.  It is better if you do your own research on paint colors.

I did mine out of 1/48 MD500  following Ginos Advice a couple of month ago... and yes is all black that is the best reference color lol and thats all,, and of course a heavy Mogadishu weathering

2yki0xk.jpg

30hvlvl.jpg

166hm35.jpg

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

Despite being told just paint everything flat black, you'll be doing your model a disservice.  Not only will it look incredibly boring, it won't resemble a typical, in-service Littlebird.   I'd suggest doing some google searches of the real thing first off.   Most will show the exterior is anything but uniform flat black.  The paint they use weathers quickly; most in-service helos seem to be faded and show a lot of touch up work in different tones. Draw your own conclusions and go from their.   Personally, I'd use something like Testor's Interior Black for the interior.   Adds a bit of visual contrast, plus the cockpit seems to be a bit "blacker" than the rest of the airframe, if that makes any sense.

If you want to represent a Littlebird that just rolled out of the paint shop, go with overall flat black.   It's your model...

Just to confuse things a little bit more, an AH-6J that was brought up to Andrews circa 1990 had a satin black finish.  The pilot and a crewchief verified the paint was not flat black and both called it "satin black".  The pilot indicated that it was not an off-the-shelf paint.  There were areas of weathering and touch-ups in various shades which were all flat, and extensive (but thin) greenish staining on the sides and undersides from minigun blast.   So study photos of specific aircraft and when and where...

Probably the blackest/shiniest part of the aircraft was where oil had run down from the filler port/sigh glass on the rear upper right fuselage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any chance someone can put up a list of which optional parts below to which rough time frame for those of us outside of CONUS with not much access to reference materials or info?

Specifically, the antennas, RWR, lights as well as the bench/ fast rope frame. Recall seeing it mentioned somewhere it was a post GS model but can't seem to find the post anymore.

Thks and regards,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got one in a trade. The kit says what station holds what but is there a chart on authorized loads? Ie hellfire and 19 shot plus both mg-134 (probably not but not sure)

Also can the kit be built as a civilian or non 160th version? I get some work in the rear cabin and removing most antennas. Just trying to see what else might be possible with the kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...