Kitty Hawk's newest 1/35th scale helicopters- AH-6J and MH-6J

• 2 months later...

Kittyhawk just updated their webpage with some CAD shots of the AH-6J.  Not sure if they are any different than previous ones we saw in the summer, it seems that a few details might have changed.  Given that this kit is due out by Christmas, I'm guessing the latest images are representative of what the plastic will look like.  Somewhat surprising that if this kit is supposed to be out in a month or so, they can't show us any sprue shots.  

A couple of comments - it looks like they are using the wrong FLIR unit.   I thought the one shown was only introduced on the later M-version?  If it did fly on some J's it certainly was towards the end of that version's service at best. The older style FLIR would have been more appropriate (IMHO).  Also, the CAD's show a couple of small protuberances on the rear side of the "dog-house".  Never seen those before, they almost look like panel latches that are in the open position.

In any event, don't think I'm slagging this kit. Most attach configured LB's didn't fly with the FLIR at all, so that is a non-issue and if those "tabs" on the doghouse are inappropriate, it's a very easy fix.

http://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/copy-of-kh80144

Now bring on the MH-6J!!  Floyd - in the even that the MH is delayed (or never is released), any info on whether the AH-6J will come with cabin doors?  Need them for an upcoming build.

Edited by 11bee

The AH-6J in the CAD images appear to be representative of a late-service machine that would have flown in Iraq and Afghanistan. The lumps on the rear of the doghouse look like RWRs. In the photos I have seen with LBs fitted with them, they are fitted near the top. If they are separate parts, they will be an easy fix.

LD.

Yes, you can but the kit will have to be modified. The main and tail rotors will have to be shortened a little as will the tail rotor gearbox. I'd guess a fair bit of the moulded surface detail on the fuselage will have to be removed and the D-model instrument panel will have to be scratch-built. It is actually a case of removing things here and there and adding a few other bits and you'll have a 500D.

If you have some of the old Dragon kits, some of the parts can be used to make a few more versions. Floyd had also mentioned that he might consider doing some resin for this kit. I love to do a full-spec late-service Israeli 500M-D Defender/Lahato'ot.

LD.    

1 hour ago, salvador001 said:

Roger that LD, would love to have an accurate 500D. BTW, someone should release the high skids.

Rod.

http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/catalog/product/view/id/767/s/md-500c-d-e/category/15/

Scroll down the page for the different landing gears. They make them in 1:32, 1:35 and even 1:48.

:cheers:

Gertjan

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I don't know when they will come out.  I was hoping by Christmas..  Sorry I'm not in charge of that part of the model

Floyd

Any feel for if the MH will be right behind the AH or is it possibly months/years out?    I know you aren't involved in scheduling, just wondering if you had any intel at all on this?

2 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Cant wait to see this kit, hope to be far better than the Dragon, if so i will buy it for sure.

Rod.

Honestly, the Dragon kit isn't that bad.  Need to sand down some of the rivets and it definitely needs the Eduard PE set but it's certainly not as bad as some of their other products.  The worst part of the Dragon kit was getting the windscreen assembly glued in place with the thin upper fuselage frames.   Always had problems there.   Will be interesting to see if KH has a different parts layout.  I almost think it would be better to mold the entire windshield and door frames from a single piece of clear plastic.  

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, 11bee said:

Any feel for if the MH will be right behind the AH or is it possibly months/years out?    I know you aren't involved in scheduling, just wondering if you had any intel at all on this?

No but it shouldn't be long now.  But I have no intel.  I should be the first to get the new kit before it hits the distributors, by at least a week, so you'll get a inbox review when I get it.

15 hours ago, 11bee said:

Honestly, the Dragon kit isn't that bad.  Need to sand down some of the rivets and it definitely needs the Eduard PE set but it's certainly not as bad as some of their other products.  The worst part of the Dragon kit was getting the windscreen assembly glued in place with the thin upper fuselage frames.   Always had problems there.   Will be interesting to see if KH has a different parts layout.  I almost think it would be better to mold the entire windshield and door frames from a single piece of clear plastic.  

I hope they do that parts breakdown as well.  I asked but again I'm not in charge of that portion of product development.  I think you'll all be happy with the results. 

Floyd

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

Hi Floyd, sorry to be a pest but…..any news about release date, of the LB or your book?

I got nothing on the release date.  As far as the book goes, still waiting on the S2 and PAO at the Regiment. 

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
22 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

Hi Floyd, sorry to be a pest but…..any news about release date, of the LB or your book?

Floyd probably knows better but on the KH Facebook page, they have a couple of jets listed as coming in "late Feb".  Those pics were posted a month ago.     Given their usual routine of announcing new releases via social media 3+ months in advance, at this point I'm guessing we won't see the LB until late spring / early summer.   Someone posted this question a while ago on their FB page, got a "like" from the admin, nothing else. 

Edited by 11bee
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, 11bee said:

Floyd probably knows better but on the KH Facebook page, they have a couple of jets listed as coming in "late Feb".  Those pics were posted a month ago.     Given their usual routine of announcing new releases via social media 3+ months in advance, at this point I'm guessing we won't see the LB until late spring / early summer.   Someone posted this question a while ago on their FB page, got a "like" from the admin, nothing else. 

Hopefully I'll know more in Feb when I see Kitty Hawk models face to face at the Richmond show.

Floyd

On Sat Jan 14 2017 at 10:40 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I got nothing on the release date.  As far as the book goes, still waiting on the S2 and PAO at the Regiment. 

Floyd

Whats this about a book?  What did I miss?  

1 hour ago, mike_45 said:

Whats this about a book?  What did I miss?  

Night Stalker Walk Around/ history book I'm working on.  No release date.  Still working it.  If you have any original photos, even from airshows, I'd like to see them.

Floyd

36 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Night Stalker Walk Around/ history book I'm working on.  No release date.  Still working it.  If you have any original photos, even from airshows, I'd like to see them.

Floyd

Cool.  I will look forward to it.  

No photos.  I think i saw a 160th bird a long time ago but failed to get a shot of it because I am a derelict.  So cant help there.  

Mike

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2017 at 9:18 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Hopefully I'll know more in Feb when I see Kitty Hawk models face to face at the Richmond show.

Floyd

Not sure when this show was scheduled for but figured I'd see if you have any updates.  Also, I noted that the pics of the MH-6 variant are no longer present on the KH website.  Hopefully no reason to be concerned, that's the version I'm really interested in.