US Riverine Command Boat in 1/72, from scratch

Maybe it was Plastruct vs Evergreen? They are very different types of plastic.

Do like the idea of using paper plans to make something in plastic.

Had the same idea for a tug boat link

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the short delay, but I was still busy with the boat! One half evening I was searching through my stash to get some parts that would look good as radars and search lights:

IMG_6123_zpsf7de08w2.jpg

And I attached the cabin roof, as you can see. For some reason the build stressed me a little during the last days. I think it´s because I have to scratch nearly every tiny piece of the boat myself. It´s much more rewarding if you scratch bigger parts and don´t have to waste time doing really small things that can hardly be seen. But I think I´m on a good way, though.

IMG_6124_zpsoxkapk0f.jpg

You can also see the small platform where the MK-49 Remote Control Weapon Station will find its place:

IMG_6126_zpsvqnzr9sx.jpg

I didn´t liked the look and position of the station after taking the pictures, so I corrected it. More pics of that later!

I was a bit curious what may be the reason for the swiveling construction at the stern of the boat, so I sent an email to Safe Boat, the company that built the US-versions of the boat. The answer I got didn´t contained any information...:

"Thank you for your interest in SAFE Boats International!

Unfortunately we are unable to provide an answer to your question as this was a boat built exclusively for the US Military."

Oh, really?!?! ;)/> Didn´t knew that! Well, maybe it´s their way of saying: It´s secret, don´t ask!

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Wow! I must have missed that. Ah I see... it's not an airplane, that's why I did not see it. LOL! Looks really cool. Reminds me of that 1/48 B-2 bomber that had it's origins in a paper model. Whatever happened to that build? I know it was on ARC.

So when are you starting that 1/72 scale Nimitz class carrier? A guy in our modeling club scratchbuilt the USS Forrestal in 1/200 scale, maybe you've see it?

Edited by Lancer512

I´d say that the construction phase is finished now!

IMG_6129_zpssmrhnwcq.jpg

Well, except for some details like weapons, antennas, equipment and of course crew-members!

IMG_6130_zpssh529g2g.jpg

First layer of coat will be Revell 39, lightened up with yellow 15.

IMG_6131_zpsvzq1hrzu.jpg

HAJO

Before I started painting I counted all parts of my model that were NOT modified and ended up with 12:

In the cabin:

- Steering wheel

- 2 Seats

- 2 Bags

- UZI submachine gun

- CPU (some stuff on th erack behind the seats)

Exterior:

- Plastic pearl (FLIR)

- Gun-mount (as base for the Remote Weapon Station)

- 2 Chaff/Smoke-grenade launcher at the stern

- Handgrip aft crew room

As basic colour I used Revells 39 (lightened up with Yellow 15), the darker patches are Revell 65 (lightened up with Yellow 15 as well).

IMG_6134_zpsfgovybgh.jpg

I tried to make the pattern as close as possible from the pictures, but on most pics it was quite hard (too hard) to distinguish between the two colours which don´t have that much contrast. Therefor a lot of my camo-scheme is "educated guess".

HAJO

I´ve been thinking, for many years, of doing something similar, a Stridsbåt in 1/72 based on the same paper model. But now that you´re doing such a nice job of it I guess I can wait a while longer..

Here are some pics of Swedish Combat Boats during last years Baltops Exercise.

41.jpg

42.jpg

59.jpg

Great pictures! Don´t hold yourself back with a build, I´d love to see a swedish boat!

I can see that the swedish versions have that strange aft-structure as well... Any idea what that is?

HAJO

That structure is a stand, so that the boat can be safely parked inside the dry dock in an amphibious assault ship. It was developed to be used in conjunction with a Rotterdam class Amphibious Assault Ship during Operation Atalanta outside the coast of Somalia. You can see it in action here:

(abt 2.30 in).

By the way, here is another CB90 I shot in the archipelago of Gothenburg a few years ago:

1_dsc1991.jpg

A versatile little boat.. If I was rich, I´d buy one.

Thanks a lot, my quest has finally came to an end! ;)

I hope that it´s possible to operate the boat without that stand, since I´m nearly finished now and don´t have that much motivation to scratch it as well...

HAJO

I don't think the US boats have it, just some of the swedish ones. It's only needed if you plan on parking the boat in a dry dock very often. The swedish boats managed without for 20 years..

Well, on most of my pictures the US boats do have it, but I´ll follow your point! :)/>

HAJO

Oh, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. After all, the US possesses those kinds of amphibious assault ships. Sweden does not. Maybe the stand is an american invention initially. I think I will have to ask around :-)

Sorry for the late answer, but as you can see, I was busy with the boat!

I added the crew on deck and some smaller items.

IMG_6141_zpsvhmxdmjn.jpg

For the figures I used GIs from Preiser , the twin M2 is an original Roco, the Minigun came form an Italeri HH-53 and the M240s are from Dragons Humvee-kit.

The next pictures will be of the finished model.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

It´s done!

IMG_6142_zps8k3aoxhh.jpg

After two months of scratchbuilding it´s finished!

IMG_6144_zpsomrdkovd.jpg

I used some "water diorama" I built years ago. Since this wasn´t intended for this model, it lacks the "connection". I will do a diorama especially for the boat.

IMG_6149_zps2mwvvthd.jpg

IMG_6147_zpsgjomadn4.jpg

IMG_6151_zpslwdzvf11.jpg

IMG_6152_zpsvylvzreu.jpg