I just read this very sad news. I've been a fan of his for quite some time. You may not be a fan or even like his music, but one must admit the talent and creativity he possessed. He pretty much wrote the soundtrack of the 80's. There are so many songs and people that were written and/or produced by him. Way more than most people realize. He will be missed.

Bill

I will admit to never quite understanding how people loose it over the passing of an entertainer... However, this hit me hard, and now I guess I do understand the strong emotions tied to figures such as Prince. Its hard for me to remember when I wasn't a Prince fan. The third or fourth CD I ever bought, way back when they came in the long rectangular cardboard boxes, was Controversy... I can remember going into music stores on day that the newest album was released (Diamond and Pearls, and the Symbol album pop into mind).

Purple fading to black...

I have always been more of a Hard Rock/ Heavy Metal guy but I enjoyed so many of Prince's songs and his musicianship. One hell of of a singer and guitar player. He will be missed. Perhaps in Tribute I can get my band to cover one of his songs.

I only came to appreciate his talent and skill as I got older too. When he was peaking in the '80s and '90s I didn't really like his music but looking back at it now, and taking his work since then, the man was truly brilliant.

Perhaps in Tribute I can get my band to cover one of his songs.

A band I was in use to cover "Blue Light". cool little lesser known raggae-ish song. Most of my favorite Prince songs were lesser known. Of course that almost goes for most songs I like.

Bill

I've always been a punk rock/alt music fan but definitely appreciated Prince's stuff...in this age of Kanyes he'll be sorely missed. As a teenager in the 80s, you didn't go to party without hearing his songs, and "Purple Rain" was a great movie.

Already lots of talk of Illuminate involvement...

At first I thought this was some new drug that I had never heard of...boy was I way off...

Anyways...R.I.P Prince.

Don.

I will admit to never quite understanding how people loose it over the passing of an entertainer... However, this hit me hard, and now I guess I do understand the strong emotions tied to figures such as Prince.

:ditto:/>/> Agree 100%. Back when I was a teeneager in high school and starting to become aware of things around me, that's when I first took notice of Prince and his music. He and his music were objects directly tied to my youth and my evolution. During the memorable moments of my life back then, his music was always in the background as part of the national fabric. Now to learn that he has died means, for me anyway, that a part of my past has a sad shadow cast upon it. I'm not going to run out and build a shrine or anything like that anytime soon, but I'll still be sad when I think about time passing and we along with it.

Tonight I'll dig out my "Purple Rain" and "Batman" soundtracks and listen to those at work tomorrow. "Electric Chair" was always my favorite especially when he performed it live on SNL. Talk about showmanship.

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

I had the chance to jam with his sideman Levi Seacer at a club many years ago. Prince was OK, but truely not a very personable guy. Levi was very cool and he and I had quite the time trading licks. These are my souvineers, the picks they were using at the time...IMG_20160421_193705.jpg[/url]

Sad!

Growing up in Minnesota in the 1970s and 1980s, I was naturally a fan (and still am). My wife went to high school with Michael Bland, the drummer for Prince's band New Power Generation. Some of the first dates my wife and I went on were to Prince's club in Minneapolis.

So this has shocked us both.