Not a fan, but sad nonetheless. Peace and comfort to his friends and family.

Another great talent if this is possible gone too soon. May he rest in eternal peace. My condolences to his family, close friends, and most loyal fans. Like the Righteous Bros sang If there's a Rock-n-Roll Heaven you know they got a helluva band, well another great one has been added. I was a fan, and like most of his music; his career was varied and productive.

I honestly felt heartbroken hearing this news today. Like I got sucker-punched. Amazing Entertainer! Such a loss!

I remember watching his music videos back in the 80s, and sneaking up late at night to watch Purple Rain (movie) on HBO. Owned Purple Rain on cassette, CD. Lots of his stuff on MP3 nowadays in my library. Drove past his purple home a few times.

I hope when I go to Rock and Roll heaven some day he's up there playing my life's soundtrack.

RIP

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life. Electric word, life, it means forever, and that's a mighty long time. But I'm here to tell you, there's something else...the after world. A world of never ending happiness. You can always see the sun, day or night. So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills you know the one, Dr. Everything'll Be Alright... Instead of asking him how much of your time is left, ask him how much of your mind, baby. 'Cause in this life, things are much harder than in the after world... In this life, you're on your own!

And if the elevator tries to bring you down...

Go crazy, punch a higher floor

When you look past his own music and take into account how many songs he wrote for others that became hits, the scope of the loss is magnified that much more.

His own music may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there very likely is a song or entire CD done by someone else over the past three decades or so that you do like that has his signature or fingerprint on it as either songwriter or producer.

Even if he had never had a career in the performing end of music, his loss would still be felt in the songwriting and production end of things.

He wasn't just a performer; he was an influencer and trailblazer.

He was once quoted as saying something to the effect that he had written enough songs that he could stop writing (this was probably 10-15 years ago) and he'd have enough for his grand kids to record and live on.

He was challenged by Sheena Easton, if I recall correctly, when she told him she imagined he could write a song around pretty much anything. So he made a song based on sampled dog barking...and it rocked!

Amazing talent.

Bill

Edited by niart17