1/48 scale RF-20E Super Tigereye

Here's my ROKAF RF-20E Super Tigereye. She took 2 years, 1 month and 13 days to complete. This is not the Freedom Model kit. It's a kitbash of AFV club's RF-5 Tigereye and Monogram's F-20 Tigershark. The work in progress thread is here http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38567.0.html

Here's what I did, I grafted the tail of the F-20 onto the fuselage of the RF-5. Wouldn't have been easier to just add the nose from the RF-5 to the F-20 instead of the tail to the RF? Yes it would have been and I had that same idea when I had first had the idea for this project. That changed as soon as I saw AFV Club's RF-5 kit. AFV did a amazing job. It's a gem with a tons of beautiful detail, which I want to keep as much of it as I can. I did used the larger intakes from the F-20. The nozzle is from Aires. The grafted F-20 section was rescribed. The cockpit tube is from the AFV RF-5 but I did used the Monogram instrument panel cause it looks more modern with the two MFD's. The ejection seat is from Quickboost. The Refueling probe is kitbash and scratch built along with Master Model's beautiful NATO refueling probe tip. New pitot tube from a steel pin. The 20mm cannon is an aluminum tube. I cut off the tail planes from the Monogram tail section and added some aluminum tube to make them move freely. Her drop tank is from the AFV kit and was used as test for painting a tigermeet scheme. I did paint my RF-20E in the tigermeet scheme but I was not happy with the result so I stripped her down and repainted her as you see her today. I used Model Master enamels Dark Earth(ANA 617), Dark Green(FS34079) and Gunship Gray(FS36118) for three tone scheme and light sea gray(FS36307) on her belly. I did preshade her with flat black. The AIM-9X and the ACMI pod are hasegawa. The Shorty targeting pod I made. Decals are from Academy's 1/48 F-16 kit no# 12204 and EasyCal's ROKAF F-5 sheet. The chaff/flare boxes are resin copies. OK enough talking... Here she is, My ROKAF RF-20E Super Tigereye!

RF20E_5.jpg

RF20E_6.jpg

RF20E_2.jpg

RF20E_3.jpg

RF20E_4.jpg

RF20E_1.jpg

RF20E_7.jpg

Edited by FAR148

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your RF-20, and your RF-104! :thumbsup::woot.gif:

I build mainly recce aircraft, and it is rare to see any recce models built, especially "what-if" recces.

I saw how hard it was for you to combine the two kits so flawlessly, GREAT JOB! I have wanted to do an RF-20 myself, but I can't justify the expense of an AFV Club RF-5E kit to be used just for parts. Maybe someday. :crying2:

Larry

Thanks guys for the support! :thumbsup:

I saw how hard it was for you to combine the two kits so flawlessly, GREAT JOB!

Thanks Larry :thumbsup: LOTS of sanding but it was a fun build.

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!! If only the F-20 had gone into production

Thanks Darren :thumbsup: Yeah if only...but with scale models we can make anything we can dream up.

Steven L :wave:

Hey Steven - great to see that you finished it after all this time. Looks as good as (all) your projects. Drop me a PM if you have time, let me know how you doin', OK ??

Ian.

• 2 months later...