Flex-I-File Rant...

I love Flex-I-Files, they are one of the best tools available for knocking out seams on an aircraft fuselage, weapons and drop tanks and I've been using them for however long they've been on the market.

Lately though, the last few batches that I've bought, it seems that the quality has diminished. The grit comes off after just a few swipes and I've had a few that the ends have just come undone.

These two examples are from this morning, nothing vigorous going on here, just cleaning up the seams on a set of Kh-58 missiles...the medium grit (brown) went "SPROIINNNGG!!!" after just two passes and the fine (gray) is bare after barely making it through these four missiles. I haven't had these issues with the extra fine (red) ones or the coarse grit (black) files, those hold up just fine.

Am I the only one running into this issue with Flex-I-Files??

IMG_1989_zpsbjyhzr7y.jpg

IMG_1990_zps0dxmx3ts.jpg

I have had the same issues here. I am lucky to get one sitting at the bench done before the sanding band either snaps or the sanding surface is ineffective. They used to last much longer then that. The thing is its a great tool! Its just getting frustrating...and a little expensive...going through so many sanding bands.

As an aside, I am kind of surprised that no other company hasn't come along with a similar tool (to my knowledge at least).

:cheers:

Although my current bands are at least 2-3 years old, I habe the feeling that they changed to glue for the grit. My first set worked great doing wet sanding, the band bought a few years ago lost their grit the moment the got in contact with water.

Cheers

Thorsten

I have one, and there are times when I find it useful, but it's not my go-to. Haven't gotten bands in a while, so I haven't yet had the opportunity to see this problem.

This has got to be a new thing. My old ones from 5 years ago are working 100%, but the ones I bought last week at the LHS, did indeed fall apart and the grit comes off after one job on a drop tank.....

Anyone reached out to Micro Mark? Not a bad company to deal with ever...

-Jim

I've noticed that the grit wears off much more quickly now than ever before. I used to be able to keep the bands on for months, and now I'm changing them at the end of practically every session.

My sense is that it's their business model now: it's a useful product so they know we'll keep buying sanding bands...and they want us to buy more.

I picked up some replacements recently at my LHS. Not only did this happen, but many had at least one side completely glued closed.

Another issue is the sanding material does not last much longer than one part (i.e. one fuel tank).

i sent them emails regarding trying ti get replacement strips but nobidy replied.

Same here; were it not for the ends coming undone, which I fixed by stapling both ends with a mini stapler, I sent three or four emails to complain about the bands losing their grit in a blink of an eye...!

No replies ever since a month or so.

I resorted to cutting my own bands out of sandpaper and fixing them to the frame by stapling.

Think we ought to do something about it; I don't know, make the company's inbox full with complaints.

It's really infuriating.

I've been using these for years, but I'm using a purchase from 5-6 years back. I cut them in half as I find a thinner width more useful and I get twice the number of strips ( refer to my user name ). 70.gif

BTW I've had a few let go at one end but A drop of Superglue fixes that.

Edited by MacStingy

I've been using these for years, but I'm using a purchase from 5-6 years back. I cut them in half as I find a thinner width more useful and I get twice the number of strips ( refer to my user name ). 70.gif

BTW I've had a few let go at one end but A drop of Superglue fixes that.

Can't speak to the issue at hand, but let's talk stingy :thumbsup:...

IMG_20160423_183435544_zps3lrq2kjq.jpg

I've been making my own bands for my flex-i-file for ages now. Just cut wet&dry to length, fold ends over and apply a dab of CA, press folded over portion home and away you go. They may not last as long as the actual ones do (or used to by the look of that!) but at pennies each, a new one is seconds away!

Edited by Dmanton300

You used a cable tie? LUXURY! :D

Haha, it needs to be cheap, but it also has to work, so I went a little crazy.

I've been making my own bands for my flex-i-file for ages now. Just cut wet&dry to length, fold ends over and apply a dab of CA, press folded over portion home and away you go. They may not last as long as the actual ones do (or used to by the look of that!) but at pennies each, a new one is seconds away!

....and now I can save on strips too, thanks for the tip Dmanton

Edited by plasticWerks_JL

Hey 82Whitey51, I have had a Flex-I-File for several years. I also bought some extra packets(some grit more than others) of the bands. K & S Metals of Chicago, IL sells sheets(approximately 4" & 5") of different grits. These sheets are very similar to the material that Flex-I-File uses for their Flex-I-File unit. Since the Flex-I-File is not my "go-to" tool for sanding rounded items, I have yet to need to try the K & S sheets as replacements for the Flex-I-File bands. I have quite a few of the original bands that I bought several years ago and have had to problems like those listed in this "Flex-I-File Rant." Good Luck!!!

I have one, and there are times when I find it useful, but it's not my go-to.
Since the Flex-I-File is not my "go-to" tool for sanding rounded items

What are your "go-to" tools?

Anyone reached out to Micro Mark? Not a bad company to deal with ever...

I haven't done business with Micro-Mark since they pirated some of the products brands they sold. There are other places to get the Flex-I-File including Creations Unlimited:

http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php

While there, I picked up a second Touch-n-Flow applicator and saw some new tools. LifeColor paints are also nice.

Regards,

Short video showing how to make your own:-

You're welcome! :thumbsup:/>

8:09? Seriously? That's, like, at LEAST 7:30 longer than it needs to be. :P

(frankly, as someone who's been doing this since I got my first Flexifile, I'm a little dismayed that it needs a video at all!)

I don't know it this will help but several years back I started to staple both ends of the strips - the staples are at the outter ends so I've never had them interfere with my sanding efforts...AND....since I've been doing this I've never had any problems with them coming "unglued" like you mentioned.

Good luck!

Tim