So his deliberate act caused somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.000+ in damages in 3 destroyed Hummers (give or take), potentially put fellow service members lives at risk, and he lied during the investigation and he wasn't sentenced to any jail time, nor even dishonorably discharged? Wow...

Edited by Don

I remember that video, had no idea it was deliberate. On different planes so it must have been done back at base prior to loading?  

Edited by habu2
Typo
40 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I remember that video, had no idea it was deliberate. On different planes so it must have been done back at base prior to loading?  

I believe the Sgt was part of the 173rd rigging crew.    

GEICO AGENT: Hello this is GEICO Insurance how may I help you today?

CO: Yes, I had a slight accident with some of my equipment.

GEICO AGENT: Sure we can help you get the repairs done on that. How much damage was done to the vehicles?

CO: Mama the vehicles were not damaged they were destroyed.

GEICO AGENT: Oh! OK, may I ask how this happened?

CO: We dropped them out of an cargo plane for a training evolution and someone forgot to install the safety pins on the parachute harness.

GEICO AGENT: Were sorry, we don't cover stupidity claims!

Edited by tosouthern66
18 hours ago, Don said:

So his deliberate act caused somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.000+ in damages in 3 destroyed Hummers (give or take), potentially put fellow service members lives at risk, and he lied during the investigation and he wasn't sentenced to any jail time, nor even dishonorably discharged? Wow...

A Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge) is a dishonorable discharge. Virtually all veterans' benefits are forfeited and he is not eligible for VA disability compensation.

So basically this kid just screwed himself over for the rest of his life because not only can he kiss his VA benefits goodbye, he can forget getting a good paying job. Hardly any employer is going to touch him with a BCD/RE-4 on his record, I'm a hiring manager and the first thing I look at if an applicant claims military service is their discharge code, if it's an RE-3 I will ask the applicant why they got an RE-3. If it's an RE-4, I don't even consider the applicant even if he can walk on water in the middle of a thunderstorm and not get wet. If he is kicked out of the military why would I want him on my team, he'd be better off applying at McDonald's. 

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

If he is kicked out of the military why would I want him on my team, he'd be better off applying at McDonald's. 

Yet another reason to never eat at McDonalds......   🤮

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, Don said:

interesting price tags (3). Last time I was at Bragg, they were selling surplus Humvees for $12,000 a piece and didn't get a lot of takers. Plus the Army didn't pay anything close to $200,000 a unit for a Humvee. Be thinking much closer to $100,000 fully equipped. Also the Army has a rather dismal track record parachuting rolling stock, and this is why they normally do a pallet drop at very low altitude. 

Please tell me where and when the 173rd dropped these three Humvees. In the USA it had to be in the 1940's, but yes that leads into another problem.

glt

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

interesting price tags (3). Last time I was at Bragg, they were selling surplus Humvees for $12,000 a piece and didn't get a lot of takers. Plus the Army didn't pay anything close to $200,000 a unit for a Humvee. Be thinking much closer to $100,000 fully equipped. Also the Army has a rather dismal track record parachuting rolling stock, and this is why they normally do a pallet drop at very low altitude. 

Please tell me where and when the 173rd dropped these three Humvees. In the USA it had to be in the 1940's, but yes that leads into another problem.

glt

Up-armored ones and the latest variants of the past decade or so are around $200K, more when equipped. These were not those, however.

Dismal track record of parachuting rolling stock? Where do base that opinion from?

"The former military workhorse, the Humvee, carried a $70,000 price tag. As that was modified, or "up-armored," the cost rose to from $160,000 to $220,000."

Full article found here:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/27/army.vehicle.costs/index.html

Those ^^^ are 2011 price figures but it seems the cost quoted in 11Bee's article are pretty close to accurate. Even if the vehicles in question were not exactly $200.000 a copy how much fringe cost per-unit did this whole deliberate act cost the tax payer?  Obviously more then $12.000 and well north of $100.000 per-vehicle. So again, I think the figures or "price tags" per-vehicle quoted in the original article aren't off by that much either way.

In terms of the Army's record of dropping things from parachutes goes I have no idea. Never looked into it. But I would imagine that its rather hyperbolic to classify the modern Army's track record as "dismal". Besides, in this case the vehicles were deliberately destroyed...hardly the Army's fault.

Edited by Don
8 hours ago, Don said:

"The former military workhorse, the Humvee, carried a $70,000 price tag. As that was modified, or "up-armored," the cost rose to from $160,000 to $220,000."

Full article found here:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/27/army.vehicle.costs/index.html

Those ^^^ are 2011 price figures but it seems the cost quoted in 11Bee's article are pretty close to accurate. Even if the vehicles in question were not exactly $200.000 a copy how much fringe cost per-unit did this whole deliberate act cost the tax payer?  Obviously more then $12.000 and well north of $100.000 per-vehicle. So again, I think the figures or "price tags" per-vehicle quoted in the original article aren't off by that much either way.

In terms of the Army's record of dropping things from parachutes goes I have no idea. Never looked into it. But I would imagine that its rather hyperbolic to classify the modern Army's track record as "dismal". Besides, in this case the vehicles were deliberately destroyed...hardly the Army's fault.

there you go Don! I knew what the bare unit cost, as I worked for the folks that did a lo of work on them. Yet I'd forgot about the upgrade system.  Plus that $160K price tag is a rip off for the tax payer!  As for the parachuting rolling stock, it was bad enough at one time, that they actually investigated equipment made in the Warsaw Pact countries. 

glt