What can I say, I know the US Army is hurting for money to purchase weapons systems. However, being just as resourceful as their brothers in The Core, they have come up with a new way to kill bad guys in these times of budget crisis. Drop Humvees on them. I was skeptical at first but after watching this, I'm a believer!

BTW, the comments from the troops are worth the 2 minutes of your life lost watching this. Classic grunt humor.

My company handled the fuel clean up when a Humvee was lost during a sling load operation here in MA a few years ago. Wasn't much left of the truck but many LOL's were had by the troops involved.

God I miss the Army....

And yes - it is a slow news day.

Edited by 11bee

"The Core?" What, do we now have a service branch made up of underground Morlocs or CHUDs? ;)/>/>/>

Actually Steve, you aren't far off the mark. I see many similarities.

Plus, in speaking with members of that illustrious organization, it's clear that they feel they are indeed "The Core" of the US military. I think I read that their upper management is considering making this word change official, replete with trademarks, updated bumper stickers and revised lower back tattoos.

Edited by 11bee

It's all part of a new tactic. The enemy will laugh themselves to tears and a crack unit will attack them while they're distracted. We will sacrifice Humvees to save troops.

Cheers

Paul

It's all part of a new tactic. The enemy will laugh themselves to tears and a crack unit will attack them while they're distracted. We will sacrifice Humvees to save troops.

Cheers

Paul

:rofl:

I've seen the occasional burn in, but three in one drop is ridiculous. There are many checks that should never happen. I am speculating, but with that many pieces of equipment I expect the cause was a far too hurried rigging, it takes about an 8 man detail an entire day to rig a HMMWV so to do an operation on that scale is a lot of manpower.

Kidding aside, I truly hope there are some riggers in the 173rd who are now newly-minted E-1's.

Those poor souls in the BSB are going to be going through the ringer with their Command, the IO and his staff, safety, and CID. It is to be expected to have a burn in to happen and this is exactly why we train to do this. Three though? That's Court Martial.

Edited by fulcrum1

I've seen the occasional burn in, but three in one drop is ridiculous...

Absolutely! A tad embarrassing as well. That was an expensive exercise on many levels.

:cheers:

"Hey Melvin, I gotta run to the bathroom. Finish up these last 3 HUMVEES for me real quick. All that's left to be done is to connect these parachute straps to those lift points. I'll be back"

--15 Minutes later--

"Are they done?"

"Yeah Sarge, their done. Lets load em up!

--20 Minutes later in-flight--

"Uh oh! I forgot to put the pin in!"

"What pin"

"The locking pin for the load strap connectors. These here"

"Eh, we don't need no stinking pins!"as the loads go out the back of the plane.

Tim

What can I say, I know the US Army is hurting for money to purchase weapons systems. However, being just as resourceful as their brothers in The Core, they have come up with a new way to kill bad guys in these times of budget crisis. Drop Humvees on them. I was skeptical at first but after watching this, I'm a believer!

BTW, the comments from the troops are worth the 2 minutes of your life lost watching this. Classic grunt humor.

My company handled the fuel clean up when a Humvee was lost during a sling load operation here in MA a few years ago. Wasn't much left of the truck but many LOL's were had by the troops involved.

God I miss the Army....

And yes - it is a slow news day.

Doesn't mean that somebody didn't do their job correctly, just that those Hummers got to the ground sooner......

I recall a driver of a Sheridan tank telling me of the time this happened to his tank. His Sheridan pancaked upon hitting the ground with no parachute and the only usable part was the steering wheel....the said steering wheel was removed and presented to the driver as a momento.

Best thread ever..

And btw that will buff right out i know a good body shop guy.

Hey did you forget to put the parking break?

Nah i drive an automatic no need for a parking break

In other tought, the troop parachuting at the same time probably had some serious doubts about their own chutes

Edited by Neo

In other tought, the troop parachuting at the same time probably had some serious doubts about their own chutes

Pretty sure that they don't typically mix heavy loads like that with troopers. Don't want guys on the drop zone with humvees or other heavy cargo plummeting down (or even just landing normally). Probably changes if that was a combat jump but in peacetime, I think they still have some safety regs that need to be followed.

Speaking of troop jumps, it's amazing how many of these guys are jumping with Go-Pro type camera rigs. You-tube has dozens of "hero-vids" filmed by airborne troops. Most seem to be in the 82nd. Don't seem to see many videos from rangers or other units. The use of video cams also allow for some interesting training videos. Here's a summary of how not to jump from a plane:

Pretty serious stuff, I believe a guy in the 82nd was recently killed when his static line got wrapped around his neck.

Pretty sure that they don't typically mix heavy loads like that with troopers. Don't want guys on the drop zone with humvees or other heavy cargo plummeting down (or even just landing normally). Probably changes if that was a combat jump but in peacetime, I think they still have some safety regs that need to be followed.

Speaking of troop jumps, it's amazing how many of these guys are jumping with Go-Pro type camera rigs. You-tube has dozens of "hero-vids" filmed by airborne troops. Most seem to be in the 82nd. Don't seem to see many videos from rangers or other units. The use of video cams also allow for some interesting training videos. Here's a summary of how not to jump from a plane:

Pretty serious stuff, I believe a guy in the 82nd was recently killed when his static line got wrapped around his neck.

That's a good video, it's an older one from the Airborne Test Board. The 82nd now sets up Go Pros on every jump, not for hero-vids but for after action review and for evaluation if there is a malfunction. There have been several fatalities in the last couple years, it is dangerous business. The one you mentioned was actually a towed jumper (the static line malfunctioned) and the suspension lines of the next jumper wrapped around her neck.

• 2 years later...

Looks like it was intentional.   Amazing that given this cost a couple hundred thousand in damages and potentially could have killed someone on the drop zone, that this clown got away with only a reduction to E1 and a bad conduct discharge. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/army-soldier-found-guilty-cutting-straps-sending-humvees-plummeting-from-plane-during-training-exercise.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+(Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text)