Su-27 Flanker "Red 01" Cobra

Hello everyone, I wanted to show my latest work, the venerable 1/32 Su-27 Flanker from Trumpeter. After almost 6 months it's finally done! I had sworn off "kitchen sink" builds for a while, but over time I was able to get ahold of the Zactoman Su-27 Nose, intakes, missile pylons, and AA-11 and AA-10 missiles (unfortunately the Zactoman canopy set was OOP at the time and I couldn't find it anywhere), Eduard internal and external photo etch, Aires cockpit and burner cans, various little bits of scratch building, Mr. Color paints, as well the extraordinarily rare Linden Hill "Flankers on Patrol" decals from a very kind friend here on ARC, another equally kind friend supplied lent me the help of AMAZING reference photos. The Trumpeter kit is a very large and impressive take on the Flanker, all the aftermarket fit really well, the only tough area was attaching the Zactoman resin nose, (while its not perfect I did a better job with it this time around, and there's only a small step that is hardly noticeable at all, so I'm happy with it). I love this particular camouflage scheme on this Baltic Sea based Flanker, it's really eye-catching and unique. Not to mention very fun to do this camo scheme, if anyone would like to know more about how I did the airbrushing I'd be more than happy to talk about it. Weathering was a mix of fading paint, oil washes, streaks&grime, some of you may notice what appears to be spilled paint on the right upper fuselage, this was no mistake, some actual paint did get spilled on this particular plane in real life and I wanted to replicate it for a truly unique aircraft. Anyhow, hope everyone enjoys taking a look and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions (I'll also try to post some WIP photos in a bit as well). Also forgot to add I added rivets to the front fuselage vertical and horizontal stabilizers for added effect (a nerve wracking task with the rivet tool I have).

IMG_2866_zpsixxamsxe.jpg

IMG_2868_zpsmy6bgswt.jpg

IMG_2865_zpsf8rtamqa.jpg

IMG_2857_zpsragwco5z.jpg

IMG_2852_zpsn1esdafr.jpg

IMG_2851_zpscjt9su4i.jpg

IMG_2850_zpssokwwq5q.jpg

IMG_2849_zps0wghltpy.jpg

IMG_2848_zpsduryjdu7.jpg

IMG_2847_zpso55lxi0o.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Edited by dsahling

Thanks fellas, for the exhaust I laid down a base coat of alclad pale burnt metal and jet exhaust, then I used the Tamiya weathering sets for the heat staining. I highly recommend the Tamiya weathering set as its easy to use and doesn't come off easily after being applied, its fun to play around with and get various effects, the pigments "set" by just applying a coat of Future to the plane.

Another small detail was I used acrylic chipping fluid over the metallic areas on the leading edge slats with various acrylic mixes for the blue and grey, and pollyscale RLM 65 (a pretty good match as I didn't feel like wasting acrylic paint just to use it for such a small area, and once the oil wash got to it, it pretty much blended it all together). Then I used a fairly stiff brush dipped in warm water and started chipping the paint away in this area. I highly recommend the MiG Production Acrylic Chipping Fluid for this as it can make some really nice weathering/chipping effects. I added some more photos of the undersurface (before flat coating and pylons) as well as some in-progress shots..

IMG_2804_zpsotphotwq.jpg

IMG_2805_zpsoyalvqzf.jpg

IMG_2619_zpsjgr7u4xn.jpg

IMG_2641_zpscwkjqiub.jpg

IMG_2744_zpsmfsfxyr8.jpg

One of the ways I try to accomplish the worn out finish with Russian aircraft involves lots of "bleaching" and "mottling" of the base colors. Over time, the real paint on the actual planes change colors; I attempt to duplicate this. The nice thing is you only need a base color that is a "good enough match" to the real color, in fact, it helps if its a bit darker than the actual color that way the weathering, fading, and bleaching will standout a little more. It's also good freehand airbrushing practice as I find you end up developing really fine control of the airbrush. I then use various light blues, whites, greys, and other darker blues to work in, and blend to give the paint depth. The nice thing about airbrushing this way is its actually very forgiving and easy to fix mistakes. I find you can also fine tune the colors better according to reference photos this way, rather than using solely stock FS colors.

• 3 years later...