Minicraft 1/144 KC-135

They all have the same basic parts except the engines. The KC-135R also includes the wingtip refueling pods and a small apu intake/exhaust part that scabs onto the side of the fuselage. Other than that they all have same large span horizontal tailplanes and the HF probe at the tip of the tail that includes the flood light for the boomer. Paul Fisher makes a resin replacement nose that fixes the misshapen windshield Minicraft provides in the kit. He's also got resin replacement TF-33s that look great. I'm putting the finishing touches on a KC-135R.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have about a half dozen in the works right now.

Don

I can't really answer your question since I haven't seen the other versions, but I do have the KC-135R in my stash, and I have to give Minicraft credit...they did engineer the engines very well as far as hiding seams and such go. The engine assembly for their JSTARS and E-3 kits are a pain in the keester as far as dealing with seams go.

They all have the same basic parts except the engines. The KC-135R also includes the wingtip refueling pods and a small apu intake/exhaust part that scabs onto the side of the fuselage. Other than that they all have same large span horizontal tailplanes and the HF probe at the tip of the tail that includes the flood light for the boomer. Paul Fisher makes a resin replacement nose that fixes the misshapen windshield Minicraft provides in the kit. He's also got resin replacement TF-33s that look great. I'm putting the finishing touches on a KC-135R.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have about a half dozen in the works right now.

Don

Hi Don,

How well does the corrected nose fit the cut fuselage?

It's Paul Fisher (i.e.: about as perfectly as it's possible to fit).

Unfortunately MC copied the inaccurate AMT/Ertl CFM engine nacelles. Compare AMT's to Airfix/Heller's to see what I mean. I believe Paul Fisher is working (or will be working) on better CFMs to go with his TF33s and J57s.

Hi Don,

The fit is pretty good. You'll still need to make sure your initial cut to the MC fuselage is true and you have a flush and even surface to glue the new nose to. Then you'll need just a bit of filler in a couple areas to make sure everything smooths out. The great thing about Mr. Fishers nose section is it's hollow so the nose wheel well pretty much drops right in. Naturally with it being resin, you'll need CA to cement everything with. I've used three of his noses now on the Minicraft KC-135 (KC-135Q, KC-135E and KC-135R), two noses on the Minicraft E-3 and E-8 (with judicious modification to nose wheel area and one on a Roden 720 kit. I just bought four more so yah, I'm totally hooked on them. I keep planning to do a review of his stuff but keep putting it off.

As for the CFM-56 engines, they look the part in 1/144 with a bit of shaping around the upper intake area. At least they'll do for my purposes.

Hope this helps.

Don