Mig-29 questions

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions I have for the Mig-29 experts in the house.

The Mig-29s flown by the Ukranian Tridents Demo Team in 1992/93, were they 9-13s? To me they look like they have the larger spine. Although I have read that the subsequent Demo Team, the Ukranian Falcons switched to the 9-13. I should know this answer, I was present with this team when they started their North American tour and when they ended it. I have a lot of pictures of the jets being assembled and disassembled and being modified with a western transponder.

We're East German Mig-29s all 9-12s?

The Ukranian digital Mig-29s, are they all 9-13s (2006).

Thanks in advance.

GDR only had 9-12's which now serve with the Polish AF.

The Soviet AF stationed in GDR did have 9-13's

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

Can you verify that the Mig-29A in this link is a 9-13?

I think it has the larger spine.

http://www.wetwing.com/aerobatics/ukraine/

I have the GWH 9-12 kit, during my Airforce career I have come in contact with Mig-29s twice. The Ukraine Mig-29s and Luftwaffe Mig-29s in 2000 at Maple Flag in Cold Lake. I want to build one of the aircraft I came in contact with, I have great walkarounds of both. I don't want to buy the 9-13 kit. But I really want to build the Ukrainian Mig-29.

Thanks much for your reply!

So I am correct then? Ukraine (USSR) had/has 9-13s, East Germany only had 9-13 (Warsaw Pact).

All of the non-Soviet WARPAC MiG-29s were 9-12s. No 9-13s existed at the time most of those exports took place in the late 1980s and very early 1990s.

All of the non-Soviet WARPAC MiG-29s were 9-12s. No 9-13s existed at the time most of those exports took place in the late 1980s and very early 1990s.

I think I have determined the answer to my question already, the Ukraine Mig-29 I have in my link is a 9-13, correct?

I fully understand what you are saying.

EDIT - I just edited my typo in my previous reply to you. I understood what you stated, I didn't realize I typed 9-13 twice. I know the Luftwaffe Mig-29s are 9-12s.

Sorry for the confusion, I did understand your first reply.

Edited by Scooby

Hi Gabor,

Can you verify that the Mig-29A in this link is a 9-13?

I think it has the larger spine.

http://www.wetwing.com/aerobatics/ukraine/

I have the GWH 9-12 kit, during my Airforce career I have come in contact with Mig-29s twice. The Ukraine Mig-29s and Luftwaffe Mig-29s in 2000 at Maple Flag in Cold Lake. I want to build one of the aircraft I came in contact with, I have great walkarounds of both. I don't want to buy the 9-13 kit. But I really want to build the Ukrainian Mig-29.

Thanks much for your reply!

Aircraft coded 01 in the above link is a 9-13 version with a larger spine.

Bit of history, the original MiG design for the MiG-29 was with large dorsal spine but as it is usual with new aircraft development most of the equipment did not make it in time but there was a central demand for introduction into service of MiG-29 as fast as possible. So a "starter" version was made which did not have all the capabilities originally designed for this small figther and it was introduced into service with smaller spine and coded 9-12. As a less capable version there was no problem in supplying it for export to War Pac and friendly countries (which were further down graded in comparison to Soviet examples). In the mean time the development of the more advanced 9-13 was finished and put into service with Soviet VVS under 9-13 code.

Jennings, I am sorry you are wrong (again) 9-13 was already around in late 80's. I have seen them, just as many others did.

Best regards

Gabor

I photographed this Ukrainian Falcons MiG-29 9-13 at Vasilkov in 2010.....

day03_004.jpg

It could be just a 9-13 airframe painted up in the Falcons colours - but I'm sure they had 9-13's when they displayed at RAF Fairford in 1997.

Not really helpful I know - but years ago I made an Italeri MiG-29UB in Tridents colours - using Leading Edge decals...

mig-29_01.jpg

mig-29_03.jpg

Ken

Thanks very much everyone for the replies, I think I will buy a 9-13 afterall!

Three companies made decals for Ukraine Tridents. They all missed the zaps I put on them.

Nice build Ken, the Tridents had applied for a raffle license to sell tickets to win a ride in the UB. Transport Canada would not allow it (later in the tour it was permitted). So to start they had a media ride, where they drew names from a hat to see which reporter would go along for a ride (for publicity purposes and to promote the tour). The first name to be pulled was a female reporter and the pilots absolutely refused to allow a female to fly in their aircraft.

I have so many stories about this tour, I should post a photo essay with all the details. I documented this visit well.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies, I think I will buy a 9-13 afterall!

Three companies made decals for Ukraine Tridents. They all missed the zaps I put on them.

Nice build Ken, the Tridents had applied for a raffle license to sell tickets to win a ride in the UB. Transport Canada would not allow it (later in the tour it was permitted). So to start they had a media ride, where they drew names from a hat to see which reporter would go along for a ride (for publicity purposes and to promote the tour). The first name to be pulled was a female reporter and the pilots absolutely refused to allow a female to fly in their aircraft.

I have so many stories about this tour, I should post a photo essay with all the details. I documented this visit well.

You should! I'd love to see it.

Funny they didn't want to let a woman fly, considering by then the CF allowed female combat pilots...

Just to put the record straight. The first MiG-29’s arrived in Hungary in August 1986 and they were 9-13’s with the hump. The “big” Fulcrums were around in Europe very early!

It could be that US/Jennings intelligence was not around to see it and make a note of it. :D :D :D

Best regards

Gabor

The Ukranian digital Mig-29s, are they all 9-13s (2006).

Yes, they're all 9-13s. Ukraine retired their 9-12s several years ago. I'm also interested in hearing about the Tridents tour, too. Didn't they have to cut it short because their sponsor or promoter or whoever suddenly went under right in the middle of the tour?

Yes, they're all 9-13s. Ukraine retired their 9-12s several years ago. I'm also interested in hearing about the Tridents tour, too. Didn't they have to cut it short because their sponsor or promoter or whoever suddenly went under right in the middle of the tour?

They didn't cut it short, although they had to fend for themselves. The group Russiaamerica Airshow Ltd disappeared with all the money near the end of the tour. At the end of the tour, their Antonov 225 was fully fueled by a donation from the Canadian government. Otherwise they were not going home.

You should! I'd love to see it.

Funny they didn't want to let a woman fly, considering by then the CF allowed female combat pilots...

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. The Ukranian Demo Team wasn't permitted at first to sell ride tickets to the public by Transport Canada.

The Ukranian Demo Team refused to fly a female reporter when her name was drawn for a media ride. No one on the Canadian side was preventing it.

The wall had only just come down and change was still coming to the Ukraine. Equal status for women was still not accepted.

A lot of things were eye-openers for the Ukranians. A Ford dealership donated new vans for their tour. Cruise control, air-conditioning, and power windows and locks were all new to them. I took them to a Superstore, they couldn't believe the amount of fresh food. They had never seen strawberries, bananas, or many other fruit.

Edmonton has a strong Ukranian community, all of the team were housed with local Ukranians. None of the demo team had a change of clothes, just what they had on their backs. They also didn't have any money in their pockets. They loved French fries.

They didn't cut it short, although they had to fend for themselves. The group Russiaamerica Airshow Ltd disappeared with all the money near the end of the tour. At the end of the tour, their Antonov 225 was fully fueled by a donation from the Canadian government. Otherwise they were not going home.

Wow...so they were almost stranded in North America with a few of Ukraine's MiG-29s? I imagine that was a few panicky hours after they found out Russiaamerica suddenly left with all the money.