I finally gave in to the constant notices of upgrading to windows 10. The notices kept getting bigger and bigger till I got tired of them and having to delete them so I could see my complete screen.

My current problem is... what happened to my list of favorite sites. I didn't think they would be deleted by the upgrade but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone have any information on where they went and how to get them back?

According to the last notice I have 31 days to decide if I want to keep the program but I don't see them supporting windows 7 forever so I'm probably stuck with it one way or the other.

If you mean your Internet Favorites, then they're still there - you're probably opening the new Edge browser (which is replacing IE, although IE is still a part of Windows 10...). Click on the Hub (top right of the window, it's the three horizontal bars) - it should open on 'Favorites'. Then click on 'Favorites Settings', then check the Internet Explorer box in the 'Import Favorites' section.

I predict this thread will be about five replies long before someone chimes in 'Buy a Mac/I'm sticking with XP/Install Linux' etc. etc.

Thanks for the info, it worked. That's a big relief, there was a lot of sites on there.

Even though I used a terminal when I was in the 5th FIS for tracking pilot's events, I was never all that great with home computers. It might be a generational thing as I have run into many in my age range that have problems with computers.

I'm still using windows XP on ym desktop machine. :yahoo:/>

I must admit I'm pondering a newer OS.

I wouldn't ponder too long, Steve. XP is now unsupported by Microsoft so any security flaws that can affect it are no longer being fixed, leaving your system vulnerable - trust me, I run a cyber security business!

Well I was putting off installing Windows 10 for as long as I could. I was running Windows 7 Pro until last week. I was in another room when I heard the computer restart so I went to have a look and there was the new Windows 10 start screen. I guess Microsoft got tired of me dismissing them :)

Still had to do a couple things to get started but it was interesting that there was a nice big notice on the screen at the end of all of that saying "All of your files are in the same places" or something to that effect.

So far so good but did lose a couple of items that I had to restart like my scanner. No big deal. I am still on 7 Pro in the office and may upgrade soon. Still learning where some of the stuff is and the way it handles the display when I open Windows Explorer to see the files is a tad different.

Oh and Steve I too have one of my old machines with Windows XP but I do not connect it to the net. Good thing I had that too since I needed it recently to scan some slides. My slide/negative scanner is incompatible with 7 and of course does not work with 10.

For those that may not know, you can download a bootable copy of Windows 10 to a thumb drive or burn it to a disc. You have to be running a certified copy of 10 on your machine and it is available at Microsoft's website. I was concerned that if my hard drive crashed how could I reinstall the OS and found this out. I now have a burned bootable copy on disc as well as a thumb drive. Once you get used to it W10 is great. Additionally there's a helpful website: Windows 10 Forum that has a lot of helpful info as well as people that might be able to help if you have any issues.

Windows 10 is up2date and classic shell keeps you the use of the win7 start menu.

Don't forget to run through the control panel and check the apps installed, most people switch off the camera as they fear someone is lurking out there... :woot.gif:

I finally gave in to the constant notices of upgrading to windows 10. The notices kept getting bigger and bigger till I got tired of them and having to delete them so I could see my complete screen.

My current problem is... what happened to my list of favorite sites. I didn't think they would be deleted by the upgrade but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone have any information on where they went and how to get them back?

According to the last notice I have 31 days to decide if I want to keep the program but I don't see them supporting windows 7 forever so I'm probably stuck with it one way or the other.

When I was setting up Edge, in W10, I just typed in what I thought would take me to ARC. I allowed the auto fill etc... The thing is it took me to 2012 pages! It looked just like our new daily page. I didn't even notice for a while, and when I did, I dismissed it as Silly Week?!?! Anyway, if you go here...http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/new.htm... you'll see!!!

I'm still using windows XP on ym desktop machine. yahoo.gif

I must admit I'm pondering a newer OS.

Thats interesting.

Do you get any security issues with it?

I was holding off upgrading because Sony do not and will not support NetMD / OpenMG on Windows 10.

Ive managed to sidestep that little problem by getting myself an old Sony VAIO notebook with a NetMD drive, so Im now feeling an upgrade to Windows 10 is coming (trying to decide to go 2.5" SSD or mSATA/M.2 before I upgrade as the upgrade will be hardware locked as it will be an MSDN copy)

But as to the notebook, its been such a long time since I used XP, I know they dont release any updates any more, but do you have any problems?