Build The Millennium Falcon!

I got home from work today and there were a few boxes on the floor in our bedroom. My birthday is coming up next month sometime and these packages were delivered today and she didn't get a chance to hide them. WELL the boxes are clearly marked on the outside SOOOOOO... She subscribed me to the Build the Millennium Falcon build! I was going to post some pics of my bounty but apparently Photobucket is taking a nap again today. I'll try to get some shots soon. My big problem now is how much do I want to add to it. I understand there are a few minor issues to the true prop gurus, but I'm not that particular. As long as it's an awesome looking, fairly accurate model then I'm happy. The other problem is going to be where to put it....but I don't mind that problem. So to sum it up....BEST WIFE EVER!!!!!

Bill

P.S. I've re-subtitled this thread now so it can be an open thread for anyone wishing to post progress, information, comments or anything about the Diagostino Millennium Falcon. Obviously anyone can still start separate build threads, but I'd like anybody to be welcome to post here. So have at it and lets see some of these kits being built.

Edited by niart17

Well it looks like Photobucket decided to work today so I'll post a few pics. There are a lot of online builds and Youtube videos of this model so I won't post much in the way of general construction other than maybe to just keep up to date of where it stands periodically. If I do any customizing or come up with something ground breaking (fat chance of that) then I'll post that up as well. OR if I need feedback (most likely situation) or if anyone wants to see something specific. I'm definitely going to repaint and perhaps detail out some of the interior. Don't know if I'll dive into designing stuff to print from Shapeways but I know it will be tempting to do so. ANYWAY... here are a few pics of some of the first issues parts.

DSC_0193_zpswdmlq70p.jpg

With the obligatory soda can for size...yeah...BIG!

DSC_0194_zpswi6iwp8m.jpg

Very cool and precise framework. Super easy to assembly so far.

DSC_0195_zpsujnzb5of.jpg

I'm at around issue 50. The detail is great for Episode V - the 32 inch model. Paragraphix photo etch has some really nice stuff, and there's quite a few nice pieces with Shapeways as well. Both have their advantages - and I've combined elements from both. Reference photos show a whole host of possibilities that vary from movie to movie - so don't sweat it too much. The DeAgostini web site has some really useful forums that cover everything that you might want to know about it. Well worth looking into. Besides myself - two of my friends are also building this - and it really is a fun project - but make sure you've got some room to work - it's big...

Hope you have fun with it :)

Edited by GEH737

Hey guys. Glad to know others here have this kit. Question, it's been a little confusing about the error on the nose cone replacement. In the painting videos they mention a new nose piece would sent to subscribers. I emailed "customer service" and was told there were no plans to issue corrected parts. My problem is the issue was known and fixed way before I started the subscription so it should be right. Have you guys further in the build received the newer more correct part?

I am 15 months into the subscription myself. I should have done some construction work by now, but I've got to acquire one of the Paragrafix etch sets first and that likely won't be until Wonderfest in June. After that, it should be pretty rapid construction until I wrap things up early next year before Wonderfest 2017.

Later into the "subscription" (approximately issue 40) - they send cockpit pieces, and clear parts that have some differences - nothing earth shattering.

Very early work here - just to illustrate the subtle differences.

20160321_164650_zps8j7zj6xv.jpg

20160319_104753_zpsrahyncyi.jpg

Are those the 2 different sets? If so, I dont really see the difference...

If you compare to the pic of the one I received in the first second post you can see the front window and the side windows are in-line with each other whereas the one he posted the front windows extend down lower than the sides (which I THINK is accurate...or at least more accurate) and the upper frames taper from front to back on mine and I think his taper from back to front. At least they are supposed to. It's hard to tell from the pics.

Bill

Edited by niart17

I should have been more clear. Both of the above posted pictures are of the "improved" later parts provided. Not perfect - but are somewhat different from the original pieces.

I decided to model the floor for the hold area. I was going to just buy one already made on Shapeways, and there are some really good ones there. but I like the process of designing and modeling one and I think (could be wrong) that it's slightly more accurate. I found some research on the Replica Prop Forum that provided actual dimensions from a real pallet used for the flooring and based my 3D model. Thats one of the few parts on the interior that traditional scratchbuilding would be practically impossible (at least for my skillset)

Because of the size of the tiles it's slightly bigger than the kit floor so I'm crossing my fingers I have enough extra room in the model to fit it in. It extends about 1/2" behind the couch side (under the dish) and about 1/4" back towards the "Leia make out room". but I think I'm safe.

Assem%201-48%20with%20hatch_zpsiv1y0edi.jpg

Bill

Edited by niart17

I decided to model the floor for the hold area. I was going to just buy one already made on Shapeways, and there are some really good ones there. but I like the process of designing and modeling one and I think (could be wrong) that it's slightly more accurate. I found some research on the Replica Prop Forum that provided actual dimensions from a real pallet used for the flooring and based my 3D model. Thats one of the few parts on the interior that traditional scratchbuilding would be practically impossible (at least for my skillset)

Because of the size of the tiles it's slightly bigger than the kit floor so I'm crossing my fingers I have enough extra room in the model to fit it in. It extends about 1/2" behind the couch side (under the dish) and about 1/4" back towards the "Leia make out room". but I think I'm safe.

Assem%201-48%20with%20hatch_zpsiv1y0edi.jpg

Bill

Just curious, is there a problem with the kit floor?

Just curious, is there a problem with the kit floor?

I wouldn't say there's a problem. It's just not very detailed. The kit floor just has flat tiles with no detail and the hatches have some detail representing the open grates. But the whole floor, well other than the couch and work station area, should be open grate tiles. These were actually constructed from plastic shipping pallets. And an interesting fact I didn't know about til researching this build is the same pallets are used in Alien movies for various ships floors and walls at times, in Outlander and many other movies as well as other ships in the Star Wars universe. It's apparently almost to Holy Grail status amongst prop piece collectors and builders. Or at least it's very hard to find.

But having said that, there's nothing wrong with using the kit's floor as-is. I just figured a $1500 model should at least have some special details correct.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Bill -

Your work looks great. Paragrafix photo etch for this kit is really nice - I've got all their sets - and have been very impressed with the fit of them.

20160423_232843_zpsekdxskdv.jpg

20160401_201206_zpszpwtqpqm.jpg

George

That is the TonyRR computer station - really nicely detailed with pre-drilled holes for fiber optics. I scratchbuilt the panel above it. I went with the Paragrafix floor because I really liked the detail - and it's a perfect fit. The kit uses a different kind of plastic - difficult to cut - so that's a factor as well. Those are Tony's arches as well that lead into the corridors - a huge improvement over the kits parts, perfect fit - and will allow for adding the piping easily inside them. A big time saver over other options.

Edited by GEH737

It looks like Paragrafix also got the tiles more accurate. They show 21 spaces between the rungs and that is correct. But they also should be rectangular and not square. Mine came out a little bigger because I scaled down the tiles to 1/48 (which I'm told is closer to the scale of the interior as opposed to the 1/43 exterior). Not sure if that's correct but I know that 1/43 would definitely not fit in the same space as the kit's interior. I just hope I'm not inviting too much headache in the future by counting on a slightly larger floor. But in the end, it is what it is.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Another question for the U.S. guys that have a subscription and aren't up-to-date on the issues. Do they typically just send the next set of issues at the same time of month each month (I'm on the 12 month plan so get 8 a month) or does it vary from month to month? also, I assume thy send an e-mail each month to let you know it's been shipped or is that not the case? Just curious. Would be nice to know a little of the details in advance.

Bill

Bill -

I'm on the longer plan (that was all that was offered at the start). You get an email when your card is charged, and when the shipment has been sent. I'm not really tracking the timeline - so can't speak to the timing.

It seems to be pretty regular, My only issue is that there is no tracking number. I am on the long plan also, same as above, the short plan wasnt offered when I started.

Alsom in reference to all the pictures you guys are posting; Im getting poorer because of them. I guess Im going the whole way with the shapeways and paragrafix items. I was originally going to build it just as it came. However, for the amount of money it ends up costing, it seems a shame not to add a little detail.

...I was originally going to build it just as it came. However, for the amount of money it ends up costing, it seems a shame not to add a little detail.

That's what I feel as well....but whether or not my wife feels that way is yet to be seen.. :woot.gif:/> Too bad my wife isn't into designer clothes etc...then I could use the argument of "you wouldn't want to carry a $10 purse while wearing $1500 shoes would you?" She doesn't spend much on clothes so I have to come up with another approach.

Bill

Edited by niart17

My feeling on the "extras" is that this is a "one time good deal" - I might have multiples of other kits - but I'm only going to do this particular kit once. With that, all the extras really do add to it, and in the cargo hold in particular. Having been a fan of this since '77, I haven't really thought about the cost that much, because it's really been a fun project - that will be "right" no matter how much, or how little you do to it :)