Build The Millennium Falcon!

In my experience, the parts shipments have been coming about every 4 weeks like clockwork, so I am actually a little ahead of the month curve (shipment 16 just got billed and should ship by the end of the week). But I also signed up for 24 months pretty early in the cycle. There was only one month where parts got delayed because the U.S. based warehouse hadn't gotten them from the main source yet, but they arrived only slightly behind schedule.

BTW, check your parts bags closely when you get them. There was one issue I got where a screw bag inside wasn't entirely sealed and it spilled screws into the main bag. Not a problem normally, but the big bag had a hole and a couple of the screws ended up floating around loose in the shipping box. No worries though, I found them and inventoried them and wasn't missing any parts.

Thanks for the heads up Jay. I'll definitely keep an eye on the parts and packaging. I still need to go get some sort of organizer for all the hardware and various parts to keep them safe until needed. From what I understand there are extras provided with most issues BUT I don't want to count on that fact and lose screws thinking I'll get more. Better safe than sorry. My floor is scheduled to be here tomorrow so that is exciting.

Bill

Like Jay, I also had a shipment where the screws had come out of the bag. There are extra screws - but I thought I'd misplaced one of the metal plates - that connect the metal frames. Would've stopped construction cold - but I did find it. I bought a large plastic hardware storage container at Harbor Freight for keeping all the fiddly bits and small components organized - works great. Check the parts with the magazine to make sure you've got everything - and plan for a large workspace.

20160228_180821_zpshiqjoocm.jpg

When do you get the plastic cradle in the above picture? ^^^

I don't really know the answer to that, I'm sure some of the others here will answer, BUT seems like I've seen that it comes a little at a time like the other parts. If that's the case I think that's rather lame. Seems like they could just send that at one time instead having it take up room in the monthly parts packs. That way they could have a few more parts per order in those issues. But it is what it is I suppose.

BTW, I propose we maybe make this a open thread for anyone building this model, unless you guys just want to start separate threads. I think it would be nice to see all the different builds in one location. Up to you guys. If anyone wants to add anything in this thread feel free. I can retitle it as well to make it as such.

Bill

BTW, I propose we maybe make this a open thread for anyone building this model, unless you guys just want to start separate threads. I think it would be nice to see all the different builds in one location. Up to you guys. If anyone wants to add anything in this thread feel free. I can retitle it as well to make it as such.

Bill

Agreed

The plastic cradle jigs come along with the parts. There are five or six sections for the bottom and they arrive when the proper bits do or slightly before.

As for my storage container, I went with a big plastic tub which I got at Walmart for not much money (in their office/organization section).

Well, my floor came in and I'm mixed about it. I'm happy with the print. It is a bit thin but nothing that some bracing added to the back won't strighten out. But I'm getting a little more nervous about whether it will fit or not. Oh well, it is what it is. It's just a little bit bigger than the kit floor but I think it's closer to accurate...or not. :woot.gif:/>

DSC_0213_zpstokehofh.jpg

So thin it bends like paper...but it's all good.

DSC_0219_zpssdwms6cz.jpg

Bill

Wouldn't it be better to just place it over the kit floor and only knock out holes for the access ports? Given the coloring of the floor and how no light shined through it except for the openings, that seems the best approach.

Wouldn't it be better to just place it over the kit floor and only knock out holes for the access ports? Given the coloring of the floor and how no light shined through it except for the openings, that seems the best approach.

On the other hand, if he had lighting, pipes and simulated steam under there.....

I may do that, but in order to do it I would have to modify the kit floor to allow for a slightly larger room. I want to verify, or at least be a little more comfortable that it will fit, before I hack up the kit's floor just in case I need to punt on this idea and build it stock.

Thanks,

Bill

Very cool thread. I saw this subscription and was interested until I saw the price tag!

So I visited Japan last week and sprung for the Bandai kit instead :)/>/>

20160519_200906_1.jpg

I admit, the final cost means the model won't be cheap (about $1500 when all is said and done). But in my case I factored that in with what a Master Replicas 32" Falcon goes on the secondary market these days (even when they were new they were not cheap) and by that reckoning, the DeAgostini model is very affordable. Plus, with it being a kit rather than a prebuild as the Master Replicas was, I can make it mine and tweak it my way.

That being said, I know not everyone can take the plunge. It is very nice that there are options out there for the Falcon as I count no less than 10 different sizes and scales of Millennium Falcon kits that have been done over the years from very tiny to rather massive. So there is a size and a price point for everyone depending on how much accuracy and/or detailing you want to do. That little Bandai kit is a NICE option for the price.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Very cool thread. I saw this subscription and was interested until I saw the price tag!

So I visited Japan last week and sprung for the Bandai kit instead :)/>

20160519_200906_1.jpg

Sapporo. A#1 super best beer. So delicious! Such taste!

The price of this kit / collectible isn't cheap by any means. But - as with all collectibles, they have a limited span of availability, and first rule of collecting - collect what you like. The odds of getting a better Falcon in my lifetime seem slim - and I do like the fact that I get to put it together. Back in '96 when I moved to Orlando, the company ICONS was producing a resin casting of one of the studio models of both the X-Wing (which had a Plexiglas case and a base cast from actual Death Star tiles) and the TIE Fighter for $1,500 each. I really liked them - but was hesitant because of the cost, and when I decided I wanted them - them were sold out. A couple of years later - on an online forum, someone offered me #2 in the series of Limited Edition (Signed by Mark Hamill - he has #1) for $800. I jumped on it - and I'm so glad I did - because I wouldn't sell it for any amount now. If you can even find a "regular" ICONS X-Wing - they go for serious money. The point being is that if you really like a subject - the cost will be a distant memory as you get to enjoy it for as long as you choose. I kind of look at these things not only in the terms of what it will cost now - but will I regret passing up on the chance later on. Like a lot of collectible pieces, I consider myself fortunate to have them, and can always sell them if the situation changes. Here's the X-Wing, along with original, sealed R2-D2, C-3PO and some other early Star Wars pieces.

X-Wing_zpssy5wppyr.jpg

The price of this kit / collectible isn't cheap by any means. But - as with all collectibles, they have a limited span of availability, and first rule of collecting - collect what you like. The odds of getting a better Falcon in my lifetime seem slim - and I do like the fact that I get to put it together. Back in '96 when I moved to Orlando, the company ICONS was producing a resin casting of one of the studio models of both the X-Wing (which had a Plexiglas case and a base cast from actual Death Star tiles) and the TIE Fighter for $1,500 each. I really liked them - but was hesitant because of the cost, and when I decided I wanted them - them were sold out. A couple of years later - on an online forum, someone offered me #2 in the series of Limited Edition (Signed by Mark Hamill - he has #1) for $800. I jumped on it - and I'm so glad I did - because I wouldn't sell it for any amount now. If you can even find a "regular" ICONS X-Wing - they go for serious money. The point being is that if you really like a subject - the cost will be a distant memory as you get to enjoy it for as long as you choose. I kind of look at these things not only in the terms of what it will cost now - but will I regret passing up on the chance later on. Like a lot of collectible pieces, I consider myself fortunate to have them, and can always sell them if the situation changes. Here's the X-Wing, along with original, sealed R2-D2, C-3PO and some other early Star Wars pieces.

X-Wing_zpssy5wppyr.jpg

Dang! Nice score.

Definitely a nice score on the X-Wing. I'm not sure if you're aware or not but the ICONS X-Wing is prone to "wing droop". I hope it's just the light distortion through the acrylic that I'm seeing or is there already a slight droop?

X-Wing_zpssy5wppyr.jpg

Nice display GEH737! Beautiful X-wing.

I decided to do a little CAD work on a possible cockpit print to replace the sorely lacking kit cockpit. I wasn't going to worry about it, and I may still just work with what's there and add details to the stock parts, but if anything it's a fun exercise and helps pass the time while I wait for other parts. This isn't perfectly screen accurate or anything, just mainly a combination of screen shots from ANH and ESB along with some shots of the full size replica being build on the RPF forum. As long as it's closer than the kit's then it's all good. I still have a ways to go on it. There are a LOT of lights and buttons and greeblies on the real deal. I love the look of the Falcon's cockpit. Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

CABIN2_zps4i0jnlg3.jpg

Bill

Thank you Bill -

While collecting as much reference as possible on this subject - it's interesting to note how much changed from movie to movie. In episodes IV and V especially - there's tons of real life switches etc - giving it a very realistic 3D look - because it was. In the current film - when you look at good photographs - they used mosty 2D graphics. Not sure why - but it's pretty noticeable (for those of us into that kind of stuff).

The Paragrafix photoetch is really accurate - but is only 2D. The Shapeways cockpit parts are really nice 3D - but I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to paint them.

I compromised and added some extremely tiny watch greeblies and plasitc bits to the Paragrafix set to give it some 3D effect. Here's an older "in progress" shot. It doesn't look all that great with close-up photos - but at viewing length - it's reasonably convincing.

Falcon-update_zpswjxseoiz.jpg