Build The Millennium Falcon!

Thank you for the compliments. Here's a picture of the backlighting (before I added the greeblies). I'm kind of holding off on the interior lighting - to see what's going to be offered. There's a guy in England who's doing a really nice "plug 'n play" light set for the underside lights (Episode V) for around $100 - but it's all pre-done - and best of all (to me anyway) is that it plugs into the onboard provided lighting circuit panel. He's looking into interior lighting as well. Since I want lights in the cockpit / corridors / cargo hold - I'd really like to have a centralized system - not multiple different set-ups. A friend of mine has already had to undo some fiber optic work he did in the cockpit - because of later additions. We're both a bit hesitant to go too far into it - without knowing how all of it is going to tie together in the end. I've really enjoyed it so far smile.gif Here's a picture of the bottom from around 3 weeks ago. I'm further along than this - and it's tough to get the subtle shading to show up. My basic overall thought is to keep it mostly inline with the 32" model from Episode V - but a "cleaner / tighter" finish. The studio model (to my eye is overdone - and rightly so for it to show up on film. From what I've seen online - the majority of guys seem to be going pretty heavy on the weathering. As with any project - it's just a matter of personal preference. In the photo below - the basic panel work and some streaks have been done (more has been done since) - still have oil wash / weathering powders to go yet.

I've redone every bit of external damage with a dremel and other tools. The positioning on the kit is good - it just needs to look more like the studio model in this area. Also - I'm the only one (to my knowledge - of all that I've seen online) that's added "thrust vector plates to the inside of the plates. It covers up some molding sink marks - and gives it more credibility / functionality (in my mind) - really simple to add - painted them to match the other side colors - looks great to me...

Cockpit1_zpsrjloc0qy.jpg

Bottom1_zpscve8zf1p.jpg

Bottom2_zps0c7vj5rn.jpg

Damage_zps9zvj4cck.jpg

Plate-Mod_zpsa7spqdom.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The vector plates inside look good and make sense to me as well. I liked how they turned out on the FineMolds Falcon I did a few years back so I am leaning towards doing it on my model also.

Concerning the higher use of 2D graphics in the E7 Falcon cockpit, it likely was done because there aren't as many scrap car and aircraft pieces to scrounge in England these days. The original Falcon pits for instance utilized some Volvo dashboard inserts for the side consoles and other assorted bits. These days, since most of those donor cars have long ago been crushed into cubes or rusted into dust, there isn't the large pool of parts to be found at various junkyards and those that are around likely charge silly prices for those parts if they are considered rare today. Plus replica prop builders and collectors have also snatched up more than a few of those rare bits as well.

Cockpit1_zpsrjloc0qy.jpg

Bottom1_zpscve8zf1p.jpg

Bottom2_zps0c7vj5rn.jpg

Damage_zps9zvj4cck.jpg

Plate-Mod_zpsa7spqdom.jpg

Looks really good!

Question about the paragrafix set. I know you said you haven't really concentrated on internal lighting yet but can you tell if there is enough room above the cockpit to add lighting for the overhead console? The kits cockpit is so jammed in to the tube that I don't think there is enough space to even run fiber optics (unless they are some of those side glow strands) I guess you could whittle away some of the tube's plastic but that seems a bit risky. Does the Paragrafix solve that issue?

Bill

Bill -

You're right - the top is really tight with the Paragrafix - it seems that traditional fiber optics will not have enough room. It seems like EL wire or something similar would be necessary. The question also being one if you could even see it from the angles we'll have available once it's closed up. I'm still waiting to see what aftermarket options might come up.

Regards,

George

True. But one thing I was hoping to light up was not only the upper consoles, but the side fill lights that run the length of the overhead and side consoles. The kit's decals have them there (the top row, not the bottom at the "desk" level) but there's no way to light them as it is now. I'm thinking something like this might work. https://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Optic-Solid-Core-Cable/dp/B00K59DVCU

It may even work for the corridor floor lights. Of course the overhead lights would have to be thinner. I think they make a 2mm size.

Edited by niart17

I love how your build is going George. I know you are doing weathering on the hull, but as far as the paint work, does it come like that? or is it just minimal factory paint? I only have 1-20 so far, so not alot of hull pieces.

I agree with you Bill - something like that would work nicely. I have very little model lighting experience - just a few VooDooFx kit installs, and don't want to piecemeal the interior lighting. As I mentioned - the guy in England has the P'nP exterior light set that plugs into the onboard circuit. He's got a prototype interior set (but to me - it's too many "blinky" LED's). I'm hoping to hold off interior lighting until "a more elegant solution for a more civilized time" comes along. I'm open to all ideas - I just don't want to have multiple power sources - or to have to re-do anything if something better comes along.

Thank you for the compliments Kelly - I've painted the entire ship, still have a lot to go with oil wash, Tamiya pastels, hash marks and other misc. stuff on the bottom. The pictures I've posted show it to be much more stark / bold than it really is in normal lighting. The bottom really isn't going to be seen all that much once we're done - so it's a great way to get started on it. At around issue 50, they do a very nice job of explaining painting it - and their recommended Tamiya paints. On YouTube, Steve Dymso has four video's about this model including a lot of paint advice. While I (personal opinion) am not crazy about his execution of it - he's got some really good points and tips. Well worth watching all of them;

I've used Tamiya AS-20 (USN Insignia White) (which is more of a light tan / cream color) as the base coat. I didn't use any primer - but I'd recommend washing the plastic (I've had a few "fish eyes"). They recommend using super glue on the parts - but I've been using Tamiya green cap "Extra Thin" cement without any issue. The plastic is ABS - so not all cements / solvents will work. The red's, yellow's, gray's are custom mix to my taste for the reference pictures I've got. There's been some issue with the DeAgostini web site releasing reference pictures (something legal) - but supposedly - they will be releasing something - at some point. They also are supposed to be making available some paints as well. Right now, there's someone in Europe that has some custom mixes (kinda pricey in my opinion) - but I have seen them on eBay. There's a couple of different DeAgostini web sites that have lots of information - but are a little clunky in their design. In the end, (as is almost always the case) - whatever paints you're comfortable with, and suits your taste will be fine. According to most sources I've read, ILM used Pactra and Floquil paints - almost none of which are available anymore. Most good pictures show lots of grime / dirt / repair work that's accumulated over the years - so again, it'll be your preference, and nothing is really "wrong".

http://forum.us.model-space.com/

http://forum.buildmi...con.com/forums/

It really has been a fun project, and not having all of it at once has forced me to be a bit more relaxed on it - not a bad thing smile.gif

Regards,

George

I figured out EXACTLY what Tamiya AS-20 is. It is essentially FS36622 Camouflage Gray with 30% white added. And I know that from working on my Eagle kit as I used both a Testors Camo gray and white mixture for some of the assemblies and Tamiya AS-20 for the rest. The match was as close to dead on as I have ever seen. Straight Camo gray is too dark, but with light gray or white added, it works nicely as a Falcon base color.

As for the overhead panels in the cockpit, might be a good idea to try a variant of what is used to light the shuttle bay in the Polar Lights 1/350 TOS Enterprise. Use thick pieces of clear styrene with silver backside painting (and some light frosting to diffuse light) and mount them above the panels. Mount an LED each to beam into them on the periphery near the back wall. If done right, they can theoretically project enough light to illuminate the displays up there without using fiber optics. If Round 2 could design that into their lighting kit and get it to work on the Enterprise in a sub-assembly THAT large, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a Falcon cockpit. But honestly, even if you can't get the overhead panels to light, you won't really see much up there since the sight line will be obscured by the nose and the canopy frame anyway, not to mention the glass unless you opt for a model with no glass like the studio models.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with the interior a little lately. I'm a little disappointed that the curved hall way leading into the main hold isn't going to be visable with a cut-a-way like it apprears it would be. But it is what it is. I read on the BTMF forum website someone suggested this snaps for the hall-way sconces and I found some at Hobby Lobby. They may be slightly oversized but for the price you can't beat it and I think they really look the part. What do you guys think?

DSC_0306_zpsjffkhzlv.jpg

DSC_0308_zpscmsakuba.jpg

with some test LED lights. There are a few light leaks I need to address but overall I think convincing.

DSC_0304_zps3lgvuzag.jpg

I also raided one of my daughters cheap toys she got from a school party and found a really cheap source for fiber optics. They aren't high quality but for smaller applications they may work.

DSC_0283_zps0atfsa8z.jpg

Here are some on the nav computer. Still rough but has promise maybe.

DSC_0288_zpsltzizymy.jpg

Bill

Bill -

I've put my interior stuff on hold for now. I'm waiting to see what else becomes available. I think we're looking at it more critically close up, as individual pieces. I think when you get it all in place - wall lights, computer fiber optics and anything else that we know is there from the movie will fit the bill nicely. Much of this stuff won't be as clearly seen on the finished model, and our eyes will fill in the blanks with what we remember seeing on screen. My friend (who's also building one of these) - have talked a lot about how much were trying to get all the details right - but in the end, with it being such a big, imposing piece - almost everyone will notice the "whole thing". On some of the DeAgo. forums, it seems like some ran into issues with space behind the corridors when they used LED's to light them up.

Edited by GEH737
  • 1 month later...

I haven't posted or done much work on this build lately. A big part of the reason is how poorly they've been with their shipping. Out of the 5 months orders I'm up to now, 3 of the month's have had issues with them either doubling one set and not providing the second part of a month, missing a whole set completely because of back orders, or simply not shipping both sets even if they aren't back ordered, yet they never have issues charging on time or even early. Plus really poor communication. I don't know how well you guys have been treated, but most companies would be in serious trouble if they handled their shipping as poorly as they've handled my subscription. Maybe it's just my luck. I don't want to cancel because I'm stoked about what it will end up being. But it sure is frustrating getting there. And my wife is really losing patience.

Sorry. Had to vent.

Bill

I understand Bill. Every one of my orders has arrived and I haven't had a duplicate part problem. There was only one delay, but it was a short one. Although given I got involved pretty soon after the ordering went live, that could be a factor in seeing my orders arriving on time.

Like Jay - I was on board from pretty early on. No problems with orders, missing or duplicates. The only issue I had was when my credit card date expired - and they didn't notify me. After not getting an order in quite awhile - I called them and had to straighten it out. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth.

George

I guess I'm just one of the unlucky late comers. It's like I told the CS rep, I understand occasional supply shortages since its sold very well in a relatively short amount of time. And I understand the occasional logistics issue. But this is looking lik

e a current pattern, and there's little communication unless I reach out to them constantly. It doesn't seem very professional. But maybe it'll get better. I hope so, cause otherwise I'm enjoying the model itself.

Edited by niart17
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd drop by with a catch-up update of where I am on this build. Starting to get to the fun (or more fun) stuff with a little painting and weathering and my first leap into the world of model lighting. I've found some LED lights from a flower arrangement thing that seem to look the part and temporarily placed them around the lower hull. I know the locations might not be perfect, I've seen conflicting information on their decided location, so I just went with what felt ok. I've also started looking in to enlarging the gun bays to be a closer match to the movie sets as opposed to the models. It may not fit (you can see I drew a line where the hold bulkhead will likly interfere but I'm holding out hope that I can make it work somehow. ANYYYYYway, here are some latest pics.

DSC_0381_zpsxlfmxbg7.jpg

DSC_0380_zpssjljw8k4.jpg

DSC_0383_zpsgomkvkgl.jpg

DSC_0386_zpscpwvkmyj.jpg

IMAG0700_zpsfbjkymzk.jpg

151215102518-luke-millennium-falcon-supe

I realize this is sitting in the turret upside down, but it's just for fitting

modified%20well_zps0avrm7o8.jpg 

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

So I've been kicking around ideas for how to display this monster once I get'r done. Ideally it will be under glass of some sort because I'm not going to put the clear parts so I can see dust is going to be an issue. But glass, or even plexi, that size is going to be really expensive. But in the meantime, for the base itself I've been thinking of something simple but effective. This is what I've come up with as a concept so far. What do you guys think? I'll likely add some LED's around the inside of the outer lip like in the movie, but it still should stay understated for the most part. As for the size I was thinking about 30" diameter, which is not going to be screen accurate proportionally, but I don't want it to be too big. Just big enough to extend slightly past the sides.

BASE CONCEPTsmall.jpg

Edited by niart17

I like that idea a lot.  I think the landing platform gives you opportunity to have lights in the ship shinning down, and lights in the base shinning up.  Plus, you've got the ability to conceal power cables.  The only issue (it seems) would be size.  And we knew that when we started this project :)

• 1 month later...

reached another small milestone on this build and have all of the main plates of the top hull mounted and the dish on. I'll post pics soon.

I do want to point out one negative thing about this build experience. DeAgostini has been one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with from a customer service point of view. When you have a product that is based on a subscription for materials, then customer service is really what you're based on. It would be one thing if it were a traditional model company that simply produced and sold full kits (which you can get this in a full kit format now from what I understand) But to have a subscription service with bad customer relations is not good at all. So while I love this kit, I could not in good conscience recommend it to anyone without them having a clear understanding of what they may be getting it to. If you can get the full kit in one swoop by all means do so, it's a good model. But I don't recommend getting this or any other pay for parts kits from DeAgostini unless you're willing to probably put up with a lot poor service. Just thought I'd offer that outlook. Pics to come soon I hope.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Love the base idea.

Good to know about the subscription service and customer support.   that's one reason I havent pulled the trigger on this thing.

Hoping instead for a new Bandai 1/72 kit.   loved their 1/144 kit.

I've got one more shipment left, if not mistaken.  #25.  I think it will include the wall mounting display bracket but I'm not sure.

My plan was to wait until I had received the entire subscription before getting started on the build.  As several have already stated, best to wait and see what after-market parts are available before tackling this expensive build.   It also allows better initial planning in regards to lighting and effects.

I've got a number of TonyRR's 3D printed options, as well as Paragrafix and the underside lighting kit from the chap in England.

As previously stated, this will be the end-all, do-all version of the Falcon for me, so I want to make sure I do it right.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. Just touching base with where I am on this build. I have officially received all of the shipments so I can start putting things together and stacking upper and lower hulls to figure out how I want to cram everything in. I've started working on the recessed pit areas of the ship and am not going to go for an exact copy of what the filming miniature looked like but rather maybe a little less rushed and hopefully more realistic weathering approach. Here's what I have so far. I still want to throw a little more color here and there and make the contrast a bit more, but overall I'm happy with where these are going.I'd like to have some of the pipes showing more heat stress by adding some blues and purples to it but not positive yet.

IMAG1007_zpsuazfqcpd.jpg

IMAG1006_zpsehroizno.jpg

IMAG1008_zpshoodc8gg.jpg

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Some slow but steady progress is being done on this build. I'm considering breaking from the typical way the interior hold is meant to be installed and instead of bracing it from the lower hull with posts or walls, I think I may attach it to the upper hull instead. That will allow me to insure that the seam along the tops of the walls are nice and snug and it frees up the underside for whatever space I may need for wires and the detailed equipment bays. The drawback is that I'd have to have the power supply running to everything in the holds and halls and will likely have to incorporate some sort of plugs in case I ever need to remove the top. I don't think that will be too difficult and I think the pay off of having the interior sitting more firmly in place will outweigh any issues. Here are a few preliminary shots with it mocked up in place. This is simply taped in so it's not exactly where it goes but it's an indication that I think my plan will work. This also will allow me to put any details I want at the top of the bay, like air ducts, frames, lights etc.. without fear of later not fitting with the top on.

IMAG1047_zps7yel9cxa.jpg

IMAG1049_zpsa5rfb4lf.jpg

IMAG1050_zpsovqktdiw.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill