Hi! Could you guys give me a few reputable on-line shops that carry ENAMEL Akan paints. If enamel paints are out of stock/circulation, what is the substitute paint to use which could be paint-brushed (I mean same characteristic as the enamels), can acrylic or water-based be a good substitute? I am aware that lacquer paints can't, am I correct?

Just to make sure I understand you correctly: You wanted the AKAN enamel paints (8-series), specifically for hand brushing? If that is your intention, I have brushed some small parts with the AKAN acrylics (7-series) and they brushed very nicely (but I do admit this was only on small areas, such as inside cockpits and on figures). The acrylics can be bought from most online shops as there are few shipping restrictions. If you are in the US, LindenHill is highly recommended.

I have actually never tried hand brushing the enamels nor the lacquers, although I have used both quite extensively in the airbrush. So, it is difficult to compare.

We distribute AKAN in North America and the UK. AKAN have told us they are phasing out the 8xxxxx enamel series. It's being replaced by the 7xxxxx lacquer series, which some refer to as enamel. I myself have use a paint brush to apply both the acrylics and also the lacquers. Both coat well. The lacquer is more robust when dry, while the acrylic is more eco-friendly as it doesn't come with the lacquer fumes.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

We distribute AKAN in North America and the UK. AKAN have told us they are phasing out the 8xxxxx enamel series. It's being replaced by the 7xxxxx lacquer series, which some refer to as enamel. I myself have use a paint brush to apply both the acrylics and also the lacquers. Both coat well. The lacquer is more robust when dry, while the acrylic is more eco-friendly as it doesn't come with the lacquer fumes.

I have noticed once things are made eco friendly, they no longer work...

I have noticed once things are made eco friendly, they no longer work...

Let me put it another way. I'm using 'eco-friendly' as shorthand for 'if you spray or brush in a dwelling place with you share with family members, lovers, fellow tenants, etc., acrylic paints don't come with the noxious fumes associated with lacquers/enamels.'

I'm working on a Lithuanian Spartan right now using AKAN acrylics only. The kit may be fighting me every inch of the way, but the airbrushing has been painless from the start.

Okay, I'm mildly confused. *All* of their paints are acrylic (IIRC), but they use different thinners and are not mutually compatible.

Once and for all, can we get a definitive, concise breakdown of the Akan paint lines?

Akan's aqueous paints start with this number: __________

Akan's enamel paints start with this number: __________

Akan's lacquer paints start with this number: __________

Or, perhaps more simply,

Akan ____ series are like Mr. Color.

Akan ____ series are like Vallejo.

Akan ____ series are like Model Master.

Wow, a lacquer, are they anything like Mr. Color?

Okay, I'm mildly confused. *All* of their paints are acrylic (IIRC), but they use different thinners and are not mutually compatible.

OK, let met try:

Akan's aqueous paints start with this number: 7xxxx

Akan's enamel paints start with this number: 8xxxx

Akan's lacquer paints start with this number: 6xxxx

Or, perhaps more simply,

Akan 6xxxx series are like Mr. Color.

Akan 7xxxx series are like Vallejo.

Akan 8xxxx series are like Model Master (NO!!!)

On the last one, the Akan 8 series, which are their enamels (apparently being discontinued in future), are not really like Model Master as they still do not thin with MM or other conventional enamel thinners. I use Mr Color Leveling thinner with both the 6xxxx and 8xxxx series.

A generic post by this point, but yes, I've never had any issues with AKAN's acrylic line, either with spraying or with cleanup. And I do appreciate the lack of fumes when spraying their acrylic paints! They've never clogged my ancient Badger airbrush.

What works best for thinning the acylic based Akan paints? I looked for a thinner and can't seem to locate anything. I dread using water as I have used Acetone to thin my Tamiya paint for years (screw using Tamiya lacquer thinner!) as the paints including gloss spray perfectly! So what is the silver bullet for Akan?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie