Why do you build models

I've had time to think about it, and make it short and sweet. I build models because I admire the creations and their capabilities...and at times would imagine myself at the controls...at times I still do; primarily aircraft at times cars. The model railroading I do, gets into a little different tangent

What's your reason?.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Because I dig airplanes (same as some guys dig cars I guess...), and I'm a military history geek.

Also, it's great for relaxation and the mind...have you seen the trend in "adult" coloring books (get ya mind outta the gutter...) and the studies that show they improve brain function and stave off Alzheimer's??? I'd say we're all waaay ahead of the game.

...and I'd also sit around drinking beers instead if I didn't!

To learn more about subjects that interest me. Aircraft, armor, helicopters and ships mainly. I get a bug to build something, research/read about it, discuss it with folks who share the interest or who are far more knowledgeable about the subject then myself all while building it. I do my best to be accurate but I certainly don't stress over it...anymore ;). Its relaxing, educational, fun, and nothing gives you a sense of accomplishment like having built something yourself.

Good for the brain and memory too.

What were we discussing again... :lol:

:cheers:

Many reasons, several already mentioned by others; stress relief, quiet time, history, chaeper than drugs and alcohol or women. Although I do enjoy a beer and music at the workbench.

I am happily married with kids, so modeling helps keep me at home with them and set a positive example. I have a nice (read messy) hobby room we built in the house and I sometimes get the kids to join me, they like building Legos and doing some crafts.

Edited by toadwbg

I can't have a hangar full of the world's planes, so I make a personal museum. It also gives me a chance to combine technical skills with artistic interpretation. I don't just build models though, I build rifles (muskets and "assault rifles") and I generally do handy work in my spare time. To me, this is a fulfilling art where I get to transverse difficult situations in a variety of ways. It's mentally stimulating.

I can't have a hangar full of the world's planes, so I make a personal museum. It also gives me a chance to combine technical skills with artistic interpretation[...]To me, this is a fulfilling art where I get to transverse difficult situations in a variety of ways. It's mentally stimulating.

That. That sums it up perfectly for me as well.

I've always built them.

I don't of an exact reason why I do, though.

I do know that when I had to quit a few other hobbies, dropping out of model building was never even considered.

As expensive as some might find this hobby, it has always been the least expensive of all the others I did. (cars, music, even softball/baseball cost me more per year)

A few years ago, when my hands started to hurt, I casually mentioned to my doctor that I might have to give up this one, too. He told me to keep it, because the small tool and parts manipulation is good for keeping the pain away, unlike bolting cylinder heads onto a 1/1 scale hot rod.

My love of military aircraft began as a kid...modeling lets me keep (somewhat mediocre) copies of many of them! I tried collecting diecast but there was a lack of accomplishment on my end plus but modifying kits I can build almost anything I want. I sing in a hard rock band to help hide my nerd side!

Edited by farmerboy

I've been building models for 30+ years and I'm only 39, I had breaks away it at times but have been doing it fairly consistently since I was about 23. I have always loved military history especially aviation, my grandfather was a civilian Air Force historian and I inherited a lot of his library.

Now it is a stress reliever and my own time, even though when my kids are interested I'll always build with them.

Why?

1. I grew up building models with my Dad, and it's stuck with me.

2. I have an intense interest in history, and aviation history in particular

3. I like the craftmanship and artistry involved.

4. Stress relief and alone-time.

All of the responses about stress relief and "me time" apply to me as well.

But to add - I got back into modelling as an adult because my day job didn't create anything as such. Work your butt off and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day. I wanted a hobby that I could see touch & hold what my efforts had gone into.

Plus chicks dig it. :monkeydance:

Interesting to see a couple of you guys mentioning "creating something because my daily job won´t give me that particular form of satisfaction". That´s indeed something that I have in the back of my mind when I think why I have kept modelling from age 10 to now (age 40), even when studying, getting children and having a job.

Would be interesting to have some kind of poll to see if the majority of us have a similar work/hobby-bakcground. If my thesis would be correct, we´d have only a few people who actually work in a job where they "produce" something real (like a carpenter or any other form of craftsman).

HAJO