Dr. Strangelove - B-52G or B-52H?

I recently purchased a Revell (ex-Crown) 1/144 B-52H kit. I plan to build the B-52 bomber "Leper Colony" flown by Maj Kong's crew from the movie "Dr. Strangelove." The opening credits show the aerial refueling scene between a KC-135A & B-52G. However, the flying scenes depict a B-52H model flying over the frozen landscape. So I will build an early B-52H, hence the old Crown mold kit re-boxed by Revell. I would love to hang some AGM-28 Hound Dogs from the wings, but I will "stick to the script," so to speak. It's been awhile since I last saw the movie, is there a shot of any nose art? I will make up some sort of insignia for the fictitious 843rd Bomb Wing at Burpelson AFB.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

No wonder... :lol:/>

strangelove_11.jpg

Or did the wings of a BUFF ever bend like that?

Perhaps during Linebacker II!?

Ahhhh, I remember my time at Burpleson AFB. We were staging attacks on Nacho Grande from there. :monkeydance:

hah, that is the funniest true answer I've seen, Jennings.

I forget how much the B-52 guys would say it would flex,,,,,but it was some amazing amount. (to a Skyhawk guy, anyway,,,,,,if those wings flexed, someone was having a verrrrry bad day)

didn't they also droop when on the ground? (I forgot)

Edited by Rex

hah, that is the funniest true answer I've seen, Jennings.

I forget how much the B-52 guys would say it would flex,,,,,but it was some amazing amount. (to a Skyhawk guy, anyway,,,,,,if those wings flexed, someone was having a verrrrry bad day)

didn't they also droop when on the ground? (I forgot)

They drooped so much that is why Boeing put outrigger wheels on the ends of the wings. Especially when the wing tanks were fueled up. It's cool to watch a take-off on Youtube and see the wings go from sagging down with outriggers touching the ground to curving upward as lift is being generated. According to faqs.org, "The wings were thick, with a chord (ratio of cross-sectional height to width) of 15% at the root, tapering to 8% in the outer wing. They could flex from 3 meters (10 feet) down to 6.7 meters (22 feet) up. The heavy engines helped dampen wing flutter." http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avb52_1.html

Don

If you check th shadow of the aircraft as it overflies frozen tundra, you'll see they used a B-17 to film that background.

I thought that looked like Green Bay.

Regards,

Murph

It is my understanding that the wing tips, in flight, could flex as much as 15 feet from a neutral position, up or down. The fuselage was also flexible if you look closely at the wrinkled skin, especially looking down along the sides. Boeing made it that way. They knew how to make BIG aircraft!

DET1460

Murph is obviously a Packers fan...

John Facenda fan actually. I grew up watching him do the local newscast in Philly, before he became the voice of NFL Films and think of him every time I hear the term "frozen tundra".

Regards,

Murph

According to faqs.org, "The wings were thick, with a chord (ratio of cross-sectional height to width) of 15% at the root, tapering to 8% in the outer wing. They could flex from 3 meters (10 feet) down to 6.7 meters (22 feet) up. The heavy engines helped dampen wing flutter." http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avb52_1.html

:woot.gif:22 feet up...!? Wow, I'd actually never seen a shot of a BUFF which had its wings bent up like that before. Of course I had seen them rolling on the taxiway with wings bent down.

Interesting piece of info, Don. Many thanks!

The fuselage was also flexible if you look closely at the wrinkled skin, especially looking down along the sides. Boeing made it that way. They knew how to make BIG aircraft!

Yeah, lots of stressed skin on the sides of the fuselage. Knew of a modeller over on Z5 who replicated those wrinkles on the fuselage of the Monogram BUFF.

Waiting for Sanger to release their 1/48 vac-form B-52 kit. May have to buy the flat downstairs where to display it once built in the meantime. :lol:

Thanks, DET!

:woot.gif:/>/> 22 feet up...!? Wow, I'd actually never seen a shot of a BUFF which had its wings bent up like that before. Of course I had seen them rolling on the taxiway with wings bent down.

Interesting piece of info, Don. Many thanks!

It's always better in engineering to flex and bend rather than break.

Hence not only wings, but skyscrapers and bridges that sway in the wind.

maxresdefault.jpg

The fuselage was also flexible if you look closely at the wrinkled skin, especially looking down along the sides.

Actually the reason the fuselage skin wrinkles is because it's *not* flexible. Swept wings have to be flexible in order not to break. Fuselages are never made to be flexible.

I took these two photos of a B-52 doing his party piece at RAF Fairford for an airshow.... crabbing down the runway.

The main wheel trucks can pivot for cross-wind landings - so he starts off pointing one way, then 'crabs' the other way as he goes down the runway......

b-52_crabbing_01.jpg

b-52_crabbing_02.jpg

It was a neat display.

Ken

Hmm. I remember one Loftleider / Icelandair DC-8-63 flight across the Atlantic, sitting near the very back, where the cabin floor arced in flight down the length of the fuselage from front to rear. Definitely not rigid! I had an aisle seat and don't remember if I bothered seeing whether the wings flexed or not. Much like a large vessel will "hog" and "sag" between or suspended in wave troughs. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Not to say fuselages *don't* bend, but they're not designed to bend the same way a swept wing is designed to bend.

The idea is that the fuselage is supposed to go the same direction as the rest of the airplane.

Edited by Jennings

John Facenda fan actually. I grew up watching him do the local newscast in Philly, before he became the voice of NFL Films and think of him every time I hear the term "frozen tundra".

Regards,

Murph

That guy had a distinctive voice, and I can hear him in my head saying that. Picturing ice-hard turf at Lambeau with the yard lines visible only because of snow blowers and Lombardy in his rather light coat and hat. Bet them glasses got COLD.

Consider the B-52 mothership, when carrying the X-15, was lightly loaded (no bomb load, minimal fuel for the launch mission) and not pulling Gs, and the wing deflection was still quite evident...

x15cha8d.jpeg