Elementary P-51 questions

It was homing beacon antenna when it was. Communication radio on other cases. You will go nowhere looking for scheme fitting the subversions. Radio equipment answered the needs of the theatre, region and task of the aircraft. All that could have change upon the time. Sometimes there was more than one configuration ready to fill the task. I can list some ten radio systems that used to be carried by P-51 right out of the hand. Possibly there could have been more, when checked. And , of course, there is no way all would fit in one frame. And, of course, they did need dedicated antenna system. And, of course, there were field modifications coming out of individual preferences or repairs.

You just have to start with the one very frame and look for the answer for her. It is not impossible the next aircraft in line would have carried different wiring.

That's reassuring in a way. I've always installed wires running from the antenna mast to the tail to any aircraft rather dogmatically. It seems Mustangs (and Spitfires) require more attention than that.

:-)

Thanks all,

Rob

Possibly.

Do you have a photo showing what you mean?

Most of the 23rd FG P-51D photos I see show both the loop antenna and the wire.

I know it is an exception, and there may be many explanations for that. The patch covering the base for the loop antenna is visible.

iowa%20bell.jpg

What makes me wonder is the presence of additional antenna wire on the planes with radio compass loop. I was thinking of MSN-26 being used as supporting communication radio and the Detrola idea comes to my mind too.

The SCR-522 radio box (CS-80) is visible in the rear window.

This means the MN-26 radio compass and accompanying SCR-274 command set have been taken out of this aircraft.

The wire antenna is for a Detrola range receiver.

Yes, SCR-522 is possible. As I said it is explainable.How about those aircraft with loop and additional wire?

The SCR-522 is more than possible, it is right there on your photo.

I'm not sure I understand the question, the MN-26 system requires both a loop antenna and a wire antenna.

The wire antenna on P-51B/C/D/Ks was not a communication antenna. Most US (and British) tactical aircraft began using a VHF/FM set in (from distant, distant memory) 1941/42. The VHF set required a much shorter antenna, which was contained in the vertical mast, and didn't require a long wire antenna. If you see a P-51B/C/D/K with a wire strung from the tail to the cockpit area, it's for the homing beacon set, not for communications.

Thanks, Jennings.

The thought that it took me 30 years of building aircraft to discover this... :-)

Cheers

R

The SCR-522 is more than possible, it is right there on your photo.

I'm not sure I understand the question, the MN-26 system requires both a loop antenna and a wire antenna.

Yes, I can see it. Yet having seen different USAAF radio equipment and considering the quality of the pic I wouldn't dare to say it is for sure SRC-522. But I agree it is more then possible if You put it that way :).

I didn't know MN-26 receiver needed both antennas. The description of AN/ARN-11 I have doesn't mention the wire antenna being specific on loop antennas, connecting wires etc at the same time. I am no radio man, so had no idea here. Thank You for clarifying that.

I didn't know MN-26 receiver needed both antennas. The description of AN/ARN-11 I have doesn't mention the wire antenna being specific on loop antennas, connecting wires etc at the same time. I am no radio man, so had no idea here.

In some cases a spike/needle antenna could be used instead of the wire antennas for the MN-26.