Airbrushing acrylics without primer layer

I frequently paint with all kinds of acrylic without primers. I very rarely have problems with paint lifting off with tape or other masking material. I do clean the surface with alcohol first.

I've gotten away without priming on *clean* plastic using acrylics. And if it's something that will never see handling / fingernails/scrapes (cockpit interiors, for instance,) you're probably fine.

Otherwise, you probably want to prime. Some are a bit more prone to scratching and/or lifting with masking without it.

I've found out that sanding entire model with 800-1000 grit sandpaper helps acrylics to adhere. This way plastic loses its shine. I rarely use primer, and thin my MM acryl paints with tap water. I've had a lot of paint lifted by the masking tape before that. Now it rarely happens. I also find that multiple very thin layers of paint adhere to the model better.

Or You could just use primer.

On a curious note, masking tape lifted some MM Acryl primer sometimes. Never had this issue with mr surfacer.

Help me out here. What is different about primer? Anything chemically? I get why a paint will adhere better to the primer, but what makes a primer adhere better than any other paint? If there is some amazing chemical makeup of primer that makes it adhere better, they why not use that will all the paints?

Help me out here. What is different about primer? Anything chemically? I get why a paint will adhere better to the primer, but what makes a primer adhere better than any other paint? If there is some amazing chemical makeup of primer that makes it adhere better, they why not use that will all the paints?

Most real primers are solvent based, and the good ones are lacquer based. They bite into the plastic just a bit, making them hold on to the plastic when masked with the proper masking agent.