1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon

Hello all!

I wanted to share my latest completed project, my 8th completed build, the 1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon. This one took me about 3 weeks to complete. The Hasegawa F-16 is very easy to build, even in in-flight configuration. The wheel bay doors fit pretty well. Over all I used very little putty, mostly at the wing joins and a little on the main gear doors.

I chose to build the COs jet from the 144th FW California ANG, circa 2007, and the decals are SuperScale. The decals were great, even though I totally mucked up the "144FW" decal. I had it on, and while I was trying to maneuver the large eagle decal, I put my thumb on the 144FW decal that already had solvaset applied. This ruined the decal, so I had to buy a new sheet for just that one decal. Doh!

This jet is a block 32, and the kit I used was earlier (V3 boxing from 1987), but had the correct engine and intake. I am no F-16 block expert, and not a complete stickler for details, so I am sure there are other things that aren't quite right for this particular aircraft. As long as the engine and intake is correct, I am cool with it. One thing I did have to add that was very prominent, was the "bird slicers" IFF antennas. I did my first ever scratchbuilding for these, made out of strip styrene. They look pretty good, if maybe a bit too prominent.

I also added a wash to this build for the first time since my first build. My first completed model, an Italeri F-14, I used a pastel sludge wash and it kinda got away from me... I over weathered it quickly and for some reason I was unable to sufficiently clean it up. So I kinda stayed away from washes for a few builds. So this time I decided to give it a try again, but this time I wanted to try oils. I mixed a wash using black+brown Abteilung Oils and oderless turpentine. This technique seemed to give me much more control, and I was able to get a nicer, more subtle weathering effect. I am happy with how it turned out, although next time I might go a little lighter in color for the wash.

Well, without further ado, on to the pics. I hope you like!

Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon V3

Decals: SuperScale F-16C Blk 25/32 Falcons 144th FW Cdr, 111th FS Cdr - # 48-1208

Aftermarket: None

Paints: Tamiya Liquid Primer (white), Gunze Aqueous FS36270 Neutral Gray, Gunze Aqueous FS36118 Gunship Gray, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Aluminum, Hot Metal Blue, Stainless Steel, and Jet Exhaust. Custom mix for inside of burner cans from Tamiya White and Desert Yellow

3HepVhQ.jpg

HVYEnAP.jpg

2b5zKxe.jpg

jAh0rfk.jpg

3o1WSID.jpg

sIcwIz9.jpg

uKH5RdH.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

Yessir, You did an excellent job building the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit. I build mostly in-flight models, so this one really "warms my heart." Your base and acrylic rod really look great. If this is your first in-flight, you nailed it! Did your wood base come from Hobby Lobby? It looks like one of theirs. It also looks like you read and re-read Ken Middleton's post in ARC's Tools-n-Tips section. How did you attach the acrylic rod to the underside of your model? Again, other than the minor hiccup with the one decal, everything looks really great!

Added: I stand corrected in my orthopedic shoes! That's not acrylic rod, it appears to be metal rod. And, if I would have paid attention, I would have seen that the rod is attached with a screw. I guess my only question would be what did you put on the inside of the fuselage to screw that rod into? Thanks.

Edited by balls47

That's one awesome looking falcon!! Nice stand also!

Thanks Adam! I think I have mostly perfected my stand making process. I will explain more later in this reply...

:thumbsup:/>/>

Thanks Neils!

Beautiful work, Michael. Another solid build. Nice camo work with realistic fading and the wash really makes the panel lines pop. Hats off for another great job.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the kind words! I feel like I am getting a little better with my finishing each and every build.

Fantastic work, an excellent build. This makes me want to build my next F-16N in flight!

Thanks bud! I really dig building in-flight models. You shouldmake your F-16N in-flight!!! And I want to see it when you do. :woot.gif:/>

Awesome build Michael! Did you mask or paint the camouflage pattern free hand? I love the weathering that you did on it! Can't wait to see your next build!

QT

Thanks Queito! I am very happy with this one. My next F-16 will be the Tamiya kit. Looking forward to building that one as I hear it is head and shoulders better than the Has.

The camo for this is freehand. It was pretty easy to do, I just had to keep looking at the model from above to make sure I got the area by the cockpit even. Eventually I got it! LOL

Next up for me is the Italeri AH-1W. This will be my first Helo! Just started it last night.

WOW, very nice job. I really like those markings too.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I really like these markings too. Originally I was going to do an Ohio ANG bird (since I live in Ohio), but I saw these markings and thought they were very striking... So I had to do them first! An OH ANG bird will be next up on my next F-16 I do.

Yessir, You did an excellent job building the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit. I build mostly in-flight models, so this one really "warms my heart." Your base and acrylic rod really look great. If this is your first in-flight, you nailed it! Did your wood base come from Hobby Lobby? It looks like one of theirs. It also looks like you read and re-read Ken Middleton's post in ARC's Tools-n-Tips section. How did you attach the acrylic rod to the underside of your model? Again, other than the minor hiccup with the one decal, everything looks really great!

Added: I stand corrected in my orthopedic shoes! That's not acrylic rod, it appears to be metal rod. And, if I would have paid attention, I would have seen that the rod is attached with a screw. I guess my only question would be what did you put on the inside of the fuselage to screw that rod into? Thanks.

Thanks for all the kind words! As I said earlier, I really love building in-flight models. Nothing like capturing a bird in it's natural habitat!!!

The wood base is actually from an online place called Trophykits.com. Size is 6" x 8". I actually bought a case of 40 since I plan to build so many in-flight builds. If you buy 40+ they are like $3.30 each, or if you buy less than 40 they are like $4.50 each. So big savings if you buy in bulk.

Gloss Black Base

The display card is made in Adobe Illustrator to the size of a standard baseball card. It is encased in a baseball card holder and placed on the base using double sided tape.

The wire that attaches the model to the base is actually 1/16" (10ga) armature wire. It is really nice stuff to work with. Strong enough to hold up even a 1/48 Flanker and a 1/48 Intruder. Those are big planes! It is also malleable into any position you want, so you can keep changing the display angle to keep it fresh, etc. You can get a 20' roll of the stuff for less than 10 bucks. Considering I used like 6" for each model, that 20' will go a long way!

Armature Wire

The wire is attached to the model using a 10-12ga ring terminal. Got like 50 of them from ebay for like 10 bucks. I just drill a small hole in the model, then use a self tapping wood screw through the ring terminal hole into the model to attach it. I have considered gluing a nut inside the model and using a bolt to attach through the ring terminal, but I always forget to do that before I glue the fuselage together. LOL

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask!

-Michael

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

The metalwork on the exhaust petals is amazing - you really nailed the look and sheen of it! Tremendous build!

Thank you sir! I think so far my biggest strength is painting, and it is my favorite part of every build. And of that, I am most satisfied with my metal painting/weathering./heat stressing. I appreciate the kind words, I really tried hard to capture the look of a moderately worn engine nozzle. Not super clean, but not overly weathered either.

Absolutely gorgeous! What color did you use for the missles?

Thanks bro! IIRC, I used light ghost gray for the missiles. Looking at the pics, the missiles really kind of stand out as being bland. In person it is not so noticeable. I think I need to pay a little more attention to them going forward. Might even go aftermarket (GASP!) if the kit ones are poor.

Hello all!

I wanted to share my latest completed project, my 8th completed build, the 1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon. This one took me about 3 weeks to complete. The Hasegawa F-16 is very easy to build, even in in-flight configuration. The wheel bay doors fit pretty well. Over all I used very little putty, mostly at the wing joins and a little on the main gear doors.

Hey! No more pics to see! Can you repost? It looks like the link was broken or something.... Thanks!

Edited by pminer

Hello all!

Hey! No more pics to see! Can you repost? It looks like the link was broken or something.... Thanks!

All I see is "posted image" but no pictures.

Hmmm, seems the URLs to my Scalemates album changed. Anyway, I uploaded them to my imgur, so they should be back now!

Well, that is one beautiful build. However, It is really hard for me o say anything nice about lawndarts..... :woot.gif:/>

Haha, thanks Kelly! I appreciate you forcing out the compliment on my lil lawn dart! So it makes the words that much sweeter to me.

If it makes you feel any better, I do have an F-15 build in the queue. Got an Ah-1W, OA-4M, and an Iranian F-14A in line to do then it is Eagle time!

Haha, thanks Kelly! I appreciate you forcing out the compliment on my lil lawn dart! So it makes the words that much sweeter to me.

If it makes you feel any better, I do have an F-15 build in the queue. Got an Ah-1W, OA-4M, and an Iranian F-14A in line to do then it is Eagle time!

Looking forward to it!

What model are you planning on doing?

Edited by kellyF15

What model are you planning on doing?

1/48 Revell F-15E from Elmdorf. I think the decals are repliscale... Never used that brand before so I will have to see if they are any good.

AS a former 144th viper crew chief (84-316)I dig it!! I am sure General Flaugher (Ret) would dig it too.

Rod

Thanks Rod, that really means a lot to me! Seriously, that just made my day!!!

1/48 Revell F-15E from Elmdorf. I think the decals are repliscale... Never used that brand before so I will have to see if they are any good.

Nice, That should be for the 229 E models when I was in the squadron. Best 6 years of my life.