Hi everyone! Just want to know when the "tips/heads" of the GBU-10s are pointed or tilted down or not parallel to the shaft, what does it really signify? Thanks in advance!

http://www.wikiwand.com/cs/GBU-10_Paveway_II

The head is mounted on a freely turning gimble and generally would align with the airflow in flight.

On the ground, it's supported by a collar which is removed immediately before the aircraft launches.

So, unless it's at a display, when mounted on an aircraft the crew would be aboard and all umbilicals and RBF streamers removed, ready for wheels turning.

Very good chek.

Here is a photo showing the seeker head lens cover ( cream colored part ) and the seeker head packing ( white foam part ).

These would be removed at the very end of the weapons loading process causing the seeker head to droop. Once airborne the seeker head would straighten out in the air stream.

Steve

IMG_5131_zpsauc1o0xh.jpg

Here is a GBU-12, note the position of the seeker head without the collar in place:

Jari

Whoops - warranty voided!

Actually that's an interesting photo.

Ideally a weapon's tech or Redshirt could explain.

Pilot doing his walkaround so the collar is removed to make sure the seeker head moves freely. If you look closely you'll see he has a screwdriver and is setting the laser code, so his bombs go where he is designating and not another designator's spot:

aete-and-cf-18s-apr-gd2015-0055-11.jpg

Jari

Pilot doing his walkaround so the collar is removed to make sure the seeker head moves freely. If you look closely you'll see he has a screwdriver and is setting the laser code, so his bombs go where he is designating and not another designator's spot:

aete-and-cf-18s-apr-gd2015-0055-11.jpg

Jari

Great close-up pictures!!!

Wow, nice shot for that last one. Looks like an RCAF pilot and crew from 409 Sqn flying the CF-18. Yellow bands on the GBU-10s so means live ordnance so somewhere hot I would think. Probably their latest mission in Syria?

Edited by skyhawk174

Interesting to see Sniper mounted on a Hornet.

I believe Canada has been flying with those for awhile now. Also, from what I understand they are a bit different from the US version.

Wow, nice shot for that last one. Looks like an RCAF pilot and crew from 409 Sqn flying the CF-18. Yellow bands on the GBU-10s so means live ordnance so somewhere hot I would think. Probably their latest mission in Syria?

More likely Iraq, Trudeau withdraw the RCAF from ops over Syria when he was elected. Still very much current Ops in the Middle East.

Since it's a Canadian Hornet, I figured the ground crewman was setting the "Please" and "Thank You" mode with the screwdriver.

Nope, in Canada, they use the "Sorry, heh!" mode.

but the intake warning is only in English... :rolleyes:/>

American plane. No effort made to accomodate the French speaking canucks... Tsss, Boeing, what kind of customer service is that? :lol: