1/48 Hasegawa F-14D

Several people suggested I start a WIP for my F-14. This is my first time building the kit in 1/48. I'm not a tomcat expert, so advice along the way will be welcomed. The build is largely OOB, but I got a resin LANTIRN pod and some weapons from here and there. I may get some aftermarket seats, and I think I'll replace the decals too. This is the Black Lions last cruise decal sheet, but I'm hoping to do something with a bit more grime (but still colorful) on it. Maybe a bounty hunters or tomcatters CAG bird. It'll be a good while before I get to that stage though.

Meanwhilings...

My take on the cockpit.

IMG_20160501_213523760_zpswtybzrxh.jpg

started with drybrushing, followed by a black wash to diminish the drybrush look. I then picked out some buttons and switches with silver, light gray, red, or orange. The CRTs are clear green over a drybrushed black, which gives them some texture.

Edited by RKic

Great stuff, glad you are doing this WIP. The kit decals are ok, but Fightertown gets my vote everytime now. Don't forget to put in a PTID/LANTIRN side controller on the RIO port console.

F14rear.jpg

Edited by Parabat

Great stuff, glad you are doing this WIP. The kit decals are ok, but Fightertown gets my vote everytime now. Don't forget to put in a PTID/LANTIRN side controller on the RIO port console.

F14rear.jpg

Good call. There's a little control stick thing that came with the LANTIRN pod; that must be what you're talking about. Sticks will be getting painted and going in tonight. :thumbsup:

Watch the fit of that cockpit tub in the front fuselage halves. You will use curse words that would make a sailor blush...

Really? I dry fit it and it went in without issue. Do things become dicier once the wheel well and IP shrouds go in?

So I had a look-about the web for decal alternatives. Geez, you'd think that only VF-103 flew the tomcat, based on what is available :rolleyes:

So I had a look-about the web for decal alternatives. Geez, you'd think that only VF-103 flew the tomcat, based on what is available :rolleyes:/>/>

Ha ha, VF-103 is a popular choice (for a B model), but Fightertown do some very sweet decals of pretty much all the F-14 squadrons - VF-2 and VF-31 look the nuts.

Edited by Parabat

Good call. There's a little control stick thing that came with the LANTIRN pod; that must be what you're talking about. Sticks will be getting painted and going in tonight. :thumbsup:/>/>

Really? I dry fit it and it went in without issue. Do things become dicier once the wheel well and IP shrouds go in?

So I had a look-about the web for decal alternatives. Geez, you'd think that only VF-103 flew the tomcat, based on what is available :rolleyes:/>/>

I wonder if they've maybe re-tooled those side panels. The three times I've had a go at this kit, I had to shear a decent amount of those triangular shaped side panels off to get it to fit. And there's threads around (I'll see if I can find them) that discuss that issue too. I'm so happy you didn't have any problems with it. That is awesome! Excellent!

EDIT: HERE'S that thread. And this was the same problem I ran into with the pit.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

VF-74 flew some nice B models. The full colour bird with the Olympic rings looks nice. Fightertown has a sheet too.

Yeah I really like that Olympic Rings bird. I'm about to start another one, and I've narrowed my choice down to either that one or one off their VF-101 sheet.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

You can find a lot of the sheets on eBay, but Spruebrothers hold a good line up of sheets from Fightertown and Afterburner. Fightertown are my go-to decals for F-14's, they are hands down the most accurate and complete decals, with most sheets featuring helmet and shoulder patches for the crew (if you want to put them in), ejection seat stencils, decent formation lights and correct font stenciling. They do a mean VF-213 sheet, the full colour bird is a great choice.