CD72058 - B-52H Stratofortress

The brown markings on the stencilling sheet are the radar absorbent panels on the nose and tail of the current B-52H fleet - Cartograf will print these using a metallic copper/bronze color that should be a good match for the actual color.

Kursad,

On the 1/144 scale sheet, for one of those "older SAC" schemes, would you be thinking of possibly early 1960s old? Like Dr. Strangelove perhaps?  I would love to see one for Maj Kong's "The Leper Colony" of the 843rd Bomb Wing, @ Burpleson AFB.  As this was a fictitious unit, and there was no tail number or serial number shown, you could make one up.  As for the wing shield, I propose the 4083rd Strategic Wing patch of a chicken (ok a rooster).  What do you think?  I have an older Revell / ex-Crown B-52H just begging for The Leper Colony markings.

R/

Dutch

A 1/144 sheet could pretty easily contain full color and subdued SAC and Wing emblems that would be appropriate for varying combinations on SIOP-painted aircraft, as well as the later modified SIOP schemes where they added the dark gray on the nose area.  Same subdued emblems would also work for the strategic dark camo and pre-ACC versions of the overall dark gray.  The most "complex" portion  (if you could call it that) of the artwork would probably be the various tail markings carried by the different units.  You could probably do a SAC-BUFF-Anthology on one whole sheet in 1/144 scale.

In 1/72 something similar may be possible by breaking it into several sheets, either by era (paint scheme, really) or variant.  B-F on one, G's on another, and H's on a third.  At least that's how it works out in my dreams.  Also in my fantasy world I can build and display a dozen or so B-52's.  So, you know... 

-Ryan

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, BN7149 said:

A 1/144 sheet could pretty easily contain full color and subdued SAC and Wing emblems that would be appropriate for varying combinations on SIOP-painted aircraft, as well as the later modified SIOP schemes where they added the dark gray on the nose area.  Same subdued emblems would also work for the strategic dark camo and pre-ACC versions of the overall dark gray.  The most "complex" portion  (if you could call it that) of the artwork would probably be the various tail markings carried by the different units.  You could probably do a SAC-BUFF-Anthology on one whole sheet in 1/144 scale.

In 1/72 something similar may be possible by breaking it into several sheets, either by era (paint scheme, really) or variant.  B-F on one, G's on another, and H's on a third.  At least that's how it works out in my dreams.  Also in my fantasy world I can build and dislay a dozen or so B-52's.  So, you know... 

-Ryan

Ryan,  You may be on to somehting there!  But I don't know if Kursad will have the time to create the artwork for each wing badge. It's not as easy as just shrinking a .PNG or .JPEG file to size.  Pretty intense amount of work involved with each badge to be able to render in any scale.  I've been asking for a single 1/72 & 1/144 KC-135 unit sheet (which would also apply to B-52s) for a long time.  So far, nothing, but Kursad's modern KC-135R and Generic C-135 sheets go a long way.  We can always hope.  R/ Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Ryan,  You may be on to somehting there!  But I don't know if Kursad will have the time to create the artwork for each wing badge. It's not as easy as just shrinking a .PNG or .JPEG file to size.  Pretty intense amount of work involved with each badge to be able to render in any scale.  I've been asking for a single 1/72 & 1/144 KC-135 unit sheet (which would also apply to B-52s) for a long time.  So far, nothing, but Kursad's modern KC-135R and Generic C-135 sheets go a long way.  We can always hope.  R/ Dutch

Agreed - such a sheet would be awesome. Unfortunately all that unit insignia would take me ages to prepare, and could possibly harm the business by taking away the time from my continuous cadence of new releases that are the bread and butter of Caracal Models.

Not that I would draw them myself - I usually outsource complex unit badges and nose art to a very hardworking and fastidious design team outside the US. But the variety and quantity of these markings would overwhelm the art team as well.

I am not writing off the idea - I will keep it going as a long-term project. The success of the generic C-135 sheet and a few other observations made me realize how much demand there is for generic, multi-use sheets that would be applicable to all sorts of projects. So you will be seeing more generic sheets (USAF and unit insignia, common stencilling etc.) from me in the near future. 

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

Agreed - such a sheet would be awesome. Unfortunately all that unit insignia would take me ages to prepare, and could possibly harm the business by taking away the time from my continuous cadence of new releases that are the bread and butter of Caracal Models.

Not that I would draw them myself - I usually outsource complex unit badges and nose art to a very hardworking and fastidious design team outside the US. But the variety and quantity of these markings would overwhelm the art team as well.

I am not writing off the idea - I will keep it going as a long-term project. The success of the generic C-135 sheet and a few other observations made me realize how much demand there is for generic, multi-use sheets that would be applicable to all sorts of projects. So you will be seeing more generic sheets (USAF and unit insignia, common stencilling etc.) from me in the near future. 

In that case, I'll just push for my personal favorites.  B-52H's from KI Sawyer (410BW) with the rainbow tail emblem in the dark camo scheme from the late 80's / early 90's... And/or a Minot H-model (5BW) from that same timeframe also dark camo with the winged skull on the tail.

But anything SAC-era B-52 related will make me a happ(ier) man 🖒.

-Ryan

I like KI Sawyer jets also. Growing up as a kid my grandparents had a cabin in northern Wisconsin and would see them always flying over going back to KI. My AF recruiter out of Green Bay took us up for their  open house/air show back in 91 and 92. I have the three guys sheet and also was able to get the decals out of the latest italeri kit, but would love to have some decals for dark green and dark grey camo schemes from the late 80's. I keep posting on model collect FB to include AGM-129's for this reason.

I too like the 80s-era KI & Minot markings, and will add Carswell to the list. I'd really like to be able to build companion bomber & tanker models from the same base/unit, i.e. jets that stood alert together. Will be looking forward to the 1/72 & 1/144 B-52 decals. 

Jonah

Really looking forward to this sheet...Good BUFF sheets are hard to find thesedays unless you strike it lucky on Ebay.

Hopefully it'll sell well enough for Kursad to give us another sheet or two of 1980's vintage G/H models plus Desert Storm options(yes these have been done before but they all seem to be OOP,plus the transitional period from SAC to ACC with the then new tailcodes.

I may never have the space for a dozen or so B-52's but awesome new decals would be a great start.

18 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

Hopefully it'll sell well enough for Kursad to give us another sheet or two of 1980's vintage G/H models plus Desert Storm options(yes these have been done before but they all seem to be OOP,

I may never have the space for a dozen or so B-52's but awesome new decals would be a great start.

I totally agree with this.

Well I know I will be helping the cause with the purchase of at least one sheet. I only have one AMT kit but I do have a Monogram kit and a conversion. Hmmm maybe I can do a group build? Yeah right where the heck will I put one let alone two :rofl:

I predict a bunch of B-52 builds appearing with this sheet..be it the AMT/Italeri kit or that new tool kit we are all waiting for.

For me...the only way the sheet could have been improved was if a 49TES 'OT' option of 60-0049 was included...I'm a sucker for test jets...actually the main reason i picked up the Caracal Bone sheet was for the 'OT' option....

Nevermind maybe on a follow up sheet....cough,cough...

1 hour ago, mungo1974 said:

I predict a bunch of B-52 builds appearing with this sheet..be it the AMT/Italeri kit or that new tool kit we are all waiting for.

For me...the only way the sheet could have been improved was if a 49TES 'OT' option of 60-0049 was included...I'm a sucker for test jets...actually the main reason i picked up the Caracal Bone sheet was for the 'OT' option....

Nevermind maybe on a follow up sheet....cough,cough...

A test BUFF option would be nice in the future; 0031 has also worn an 'OT' tail code for awhile now.  0049 was recently retired, though I don't know if another jet has officially replaced it or not for the test mission.

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/News/tabid/2657/Article/1104799/aircraft-0049-retires-from-service.aspx

Another unique option is 60-0057 in 340 WPS markings:

5790258241_42dd5b641e_b.jpg

Jonah

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words - I hope this set will be worthy of your expectations, and I would be happy  if these decals motivate even a few of you to pull the AMT kit from the shelf anf finally build it. Of course, I also hope that the promised Modelcollect kit sees the light of the day soon.

I wanted to add an OT and ED option in there, but in the end there was only space for so many options. You may have noticed that I ended up drawing almost every unit badge and tail band needed for the entire current B-52H fleet. Combined with the modular design of the set, this should in theory allow me to design a follow-up current B-52H sheet very quickly by just drawing the nose art and crew names. if and when this sheet gets close to selling out , I plan to do just that instead of reprinting it. 

The SAC era sheet is already in the works - I have drawn the tail art for a few bases and units, and will continue to work on it through the summer and fall. With help from a few of you, I should be able to have something to show you before the end of the year.

11 hours ago, KursadA said:

The SAC era sheet is already in the works - I have drawn the tail art for a few bases and units, and will continue to work on it through the summer and fall. With help from a few of you, I should be able to have something to show you before the end of the year.

Oh wow, more good news. I know these will be more natural metal right but would this also be some B-52s with some day-glo on it or am I thinking more prototype?

Whichever it is still good news. Thanks for all your efforts Kursad.

• 2 weeks later...

This sheet is selling like hot cakes - it was not a limited run and I don't think there is a danger of selling out soon; but make sure you get one if you have a forlorn AMT / ERTL kit in the stash. I will post some photos of the actual decals soon - they turned out very nice.

The SAC-era B-52G/H sheet is still on the drawing table and I will probably keep working on it until late 2017.