I'm going to build a USMCR HML-771 UH-1E in 1/48 scale using the venerable Monogram "Huey Hog" kit...

Sifting through some reference photos and I notice the bulbous housing (or what have you...) on the top of the cabin area (circled in red).

a.) Anyone have a better reference photo for that area, and b.) What is it? I see that these guys have a rescue hoist installed as well so I want to assume it is the motor and spool housing for the hoist??? Thanks for any info you might have.

EDIT:...oh , and what color would I use to paint these???

10299063_1385267955066342_5085484172423703384_n_zps990mhzlx.jpg

10462767_1385267935066344_6041461331529908872_n_zpsb5caoo8g.jpg

HML-771s%20UH-1E%20Huey%20151874%20QK-415%20_zpsotcdomj1.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Yep, Ray has some great close ups for the drive motor case link

As for the color, 34097 Field Green was used up to 9 March 1972, when 14097 replaced it

link

but that color looks darker.

HTH

I tried making one out of milli put but I was very far off. LMK if you manage to make an extra or get a mold. I think many of naval aviation enthusiasts would appreciate one of these. We also need to do the arm.

Edited by Exhausted

Yep, Ray has some great close ups for the drive motor case link

As for the color, 34097 Field Green was used up to 9 March 1972, when 14097 replaced it

link

but that color looks darker.

HTH

Alright thanks Tank! Those are about as good a look as you can get.

I'm going to try making one from Mili-put as well, and probably from that Cell u clay as well, that stuff is pretty easy to work with.

Hey, those houses in the background look familiar! Can't help you with the color but yes, that bulge is the drive motor for the hoist.

Is that your old street? Man...I wish I lived there instead of Dorchester! must've been awesome during airshows.

Is that your old street? Man...I wish I lived there instead of Dorchester! must've been awesome during airshows.

No but I spent a lot of time at the same crash gate that those pics were taken. Good view of the end of runway 26 and was about the only place the public could get a view of the aircraft (assuming there was anything flying that day).

Is that the same type of hoist used on the USAF HH-1s?

It does appear they are. I am sure like anything they have little differences over time.

link

P1010511.JPG

2004.jpg

Looks like the shape is similar, the USAF bird has another bump in the front the Marine bird does not have.

Edited by Tank

If you go to this link here and scroll to the second image (I couldn't save and post the photo on this computer...?), you'll see a USMC UH-1 with the hoist, however it appears that it is placed a little more forward than the one on the NAS Pensacola helo? It comes over the pilot green window a bit. I guess there were variations in the motor/reel cover.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=104437&page=1&ord=1

Edited by 82Whitey51

If you go to this link here and scroll to the second image (I couldn't save and post the photo on this computer...?), you'll see a USMC UH-1 with the hoist, however it appears that it is placed a little more forward than the one on the NAS Pensacola helo? It comes over the pilot green window a bit. I guess there were variations in the motor/reel cover.

http://www.armorama....37&page=1&ord=1

You have uncovered a detail that very few have noticed. The photo you indicated shows a UH-1E with a 540 rotor system. The Echo model at Pensacola (151268) was originally built after the UH-1B with a 204 rotor system as it was in the first batch of Echos built. However, later UH-1E's were built after the UH-1C with the 540 rotor system and other upgrades. 151268 was later upgraded to the 540 rotor UH-1C standard. I believe what you are seeing is a slight change in position from one type to the other. If you go back to the pics on Armorama and look at the next bird down it shows a black and white image of a UH-1E built on the B model layout. If you look close you will see the rescue hoist housing is positioned slightly behind the greenhouse. Interesting little detail. Sorry, if this is confusing. HTH.

Ray

For whatever it's worth, here are a couple of pics:

showimage_zpsmejgyyfb.jpg

uh-1e_zpsbvstb1hh.jpg

Check out the sugar scoop exhaust deflector. Never knew the Marines flew with that.

The E-model kind of grows on me (especially the NAS South Weymouth, MA helo). Wouldn't mind doing a 35th scale build assuming someone releases decals which is probably a long shot. Question - I'm not up on my details, is the E basically the same as the Army's B/C?

Wow, awesome Hueys. Those sugar scoops and shields looks the same as Salvadorean UH-1Ms. If you look closely, they even have some plates on the beacon light, this is to prevent the light from being seen from ground.

Rod.

You have uncovered a detail that very few have noticed. The photo you indicated shows a UH-1E with a 540 rotor system. The Echo model at Pensacola (151268) was originally built after the UH-1B with a 204 rotor system as it was in the first batch of Echos built. However, later UH-1E's were built after the UH-1C with the 540 rotor system and other upgrades. 151268 was later upgraded to the 540 rotor UH-1C standard. I believe what you are seeing is a slight change in position from one type to the other. If you go back to the pics on Armorama and look at the next bird down it shows a black and white image of a UH-1E built on the B model layout. If you look close you will see the rescue hoist housing is positioned slightly behind the greenhouse. Interesting little detail. Sorry, if this is confusing. HTH.

Ray

Hey thanks! No, not confusing at all, thanks for the additional information.

The HML-771 helos that I posted, don't have the "sugar scoop" exhaust, would that make them the earlier "E" models? I plan to build 155350, A/C 416. The other two in the photos (413 & 415) look to have different intake housings...416 has the type that the "Huey Hog" kit has. Do you know if that has a 540 rotor system, what hoist housing would I want to go with; like the one in Pensacola or the one that covers a portion of the pilot side greenhouse? A/C 416 looks to have the "towel rack" antenna as well, which has me leaning towards the Pensacola helo configuration.

Edited by 82Whitey51

For whatever it's worth, here are a couple of pics:

showimage_zpsmejgyyfb.jpg

uh-1e_zpsbvstb1hh.jpg

Check out the sugar scoop exhaust deflector. Never knew the Marines flew with that.

The E-model kind of grows on me (especially the NAS South Weymouth, MA helo). Wouldn't mind doing a 35th scale build assuming someone releases decals which is probably a long shot. Question - I'm not up on my details, is the E basically the same as the Army's B/C?

Check out my first link, Ray has a bunch of info posted there, the short answer is yes it's basically a B/C, both types had been built as an E.

Those pics of 367 are 'stateside' post Nam as they have white markings. Don't have my notes on me but sometime between 65-68 they went from white to black then white again after the war.

Hey thanks! No, not confusing at all, thanks for the additional information.

The HML-771 helos that I posted, don't have the "sugar scoop" exhaust, would that make them the earlier "E" models?

My understanding is the scoop is just an add on part and used when needed. Has nothing to do with model timeframe.

Now the intake, is a different story from what I recall, I will let Ray explain that one.

Also do a search here in the helo section, that kit has things in common with Jenner. Ray's post will explain the issues and the fixes for the helo, IIRC.

Edited by Tank

My understanding is the scoop is just an add on part and used when needed. Has nothing to do with model timeframe.

Now the intake, is a different story from what I recall, I will let Ray explain that one.

Also do a search here in the helo section, that kit has things in common with Jenner. Ray's post will explain the issues and the fixes for the helo, IIRC.

"has things in common with Jenner", Haaaa...oh man.

Well, I'm not going to get too crazy with the cheeze whiz on the kit...just looking for an accurate placement of that hoist motor housing for now.

Thanks for the info on the "sugar scoop" too.

Just giving you the information, how if any of it you want to add to the build is your choice.

The kit has both B and C parts. It also has Army weapons not Marine. Seemed like the best current analogy I could come up with.

Just giving you the information, how if any of it you want to add to the build is your choice.

The kit has both B and C parts. It also has Army weapons not Marine. Seemed like the best current analogy I could come up with.

Oh, I appreciate it. Man, the more I read into it and look at pics though...now I'm fixated on the size of the tail and thinking I should modify it!

The biggest issue with that kit is the B style body with the C style 540 rotor system. Pretty crazy dont you think?

The only change you need to make is add a new tail fin and sync elevators. Cobra Company makes them in resin.

Rod.

• 9 months later...

Stumbled upon this sharp looking UH-1E on a great FB page - Planes, Trains and Ships  https://www.facebook.com/PlanesTrainsShips\

Well worth perusing over a cup of coffee some weekend.  Lot's of great 70's - 90's vintage shots of mostly USN and Marine aircraft.  Many pics were taken at "my" nearby NAS, the now defunct NAS South Weymouth, MA.   This picture was taken circa 1974.  Note the black painted tailboom.  Still not sure what the deal is with that paintwork.  Seen multiple pics of very late Vietnam war Hueys and Cobras with some similar paint.  

Image may contain: airplane, sky and outdoor