Already comes complete with the rescue hoist and housing on the roof. A little scratch and it's on. With the exception of a different roof and the weapons sprue it's essentially the same as the Huey Hog kit.

I'll have to figure out this attachment size limitation.

Kit Number is 5202-0100 Copyright 1978

Funny that the Marines call the IR exhaust suppressor a Sugar Scoop while us Army types called them Toilet Bowls.

Edited by snake36bravo
Stroke
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, 11bee said:

Stumbled upon this sharp looking UH-1E on a great FB page - Planes, Trains and Ships  https://www.facebook.com/PlanesTrainsShips\

Well worth perusing over a cup of coffee some weekend.  Lot's of great 70's - 90's vintage shots of mostly USN and Marine aircraft.  Many pics were taken at "my" nearby NAS, the now defunct NAS South Weymouth, MA.   This picture was taken circa 1974.  Note the black painted tailboom.  Still not sure what the deal is with that paintwork.  Seen multiple pics of very late Vietnam war Hueys and Cobras with some similar paint.  

Possibly something to do with hiding the exhaust soot? Just a guess.

----------------

9 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

Possibly something to do with hiding the exhaust soot? Just a guess.

----------------

Could very well be, I have no idea.  In this case it seems likely.  On those Vietnam Hueys and Cobras, I'm not as sure.  Can't believe that something like that would be a priority in a combat zone and even if it was, the black paint only covered a small portion of the tail boom and vertical stab. 

On 2/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, snake36bravo said:

This is really the kit you need as a base.

SD530927-1.jpg.c5a1d2766463573cda8ea5f15eafbbe6.jpg

I don't know, Lloyd.  That kit is just a rework of the Huey Hog kit and is still a dog, plus the housing on the roof for the hoist is in the wrong place.

Ray

12 hours ago, 11bee said:

Could very well be, I have no idea.  In this case it seems likely.  On those Vietnam Hueys and Cobras, I'm not as sure.  Can't believe that something like that would be a priority in a combat zone and even if it was, the black paint only covered a small portion of the tail boom and vertical stab. 

John,

I think you'll only find CONUS birds painted with that gloss paint job and high vis markings.  the black was indeed applied to the areas usually stained by exhaust though.

Ray

On 2/8/2017 at 4:02 PM, snake36bravo said:

This is really the kit you need as a base.

SD530927-1.jpg.c5a1d2766463573cda8ea5f15eafbbe6.jpg

Yeah man! I have one, scored it for cheap on eBay. I have an older Monogram Huey also with the "sugar scoop" intake that I may try putting on this one.

I'm not too concerned with the slight inaccuracies of the positioning of the hoist and motor housing...beats having to scratch build stuff. The more noticeable discrepancy to me is the tail. So, I'm hunting round for the elusive Cobra Company UH-1C update set...or I will scratch build a modification.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, 11bee said:

Stumbled upon this sharp looking UH-1E on a great FB page - Planes, Trains and Ships  https://www.facebook.com/PlanesTrainsShips\

Well worth perusing over a cup of coffee some weekend.  Lot's of great 70's - 90's vintage shots of mostly USN and Marine aircraft.  Many pics were taken at "my" nearby NAS, the now defunct NAS South Weymouth, MA.   This picture was taken circa 1974.  Note the black painted tailboom.  Still not sure what the deal is with that paintwork.  Seen multiple pics of very late Vietnam war Hueys and Cobras with some similar paint.  

Image may contain: airplane, sky and outdoor

Nice...I may just have to do this one. The black tail looks cool...at first, I thought it was a shadow of the rotor blade cutting across the side of the boom. Also, the tail numbers are not USN/USMC style (60 degree) but USAF 45 deg, likely to allow them to fit. The "QK" appears to have 60 deg cuts though.

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 2 weeks later...