Hello to all: I have this question. I´m entering int the realm of 1/72 scale helicpters and although I have some ideas about some models, the Sea King is a complete mystery. Wich ne would be the best SH-3D in 1/72 scale, with shrot sponsons?. Thank you very much in advance.

Juan

It really depends on which company manufactured the Sea King you want to build. There are Sikorsky machines and Westland built machines and they are different. The Westland machines have a bulge on the port side of the pylon housing covering an APU which is not on Sikorsky machines and of course some British machines have 6 blade tail roters rather than the usual 5 blades. If it was built by Sikorsky or started from Sikorsky production (such as Canadian) then the best 1/72nd is probably still the Fujimi kit but it does have raised detail. Recent boxings by Fujimi include all their sprues such that you have choices as to sponsons, tail rotors and horizontal tail. I believe "Ds" in US service started with the short horizontal tail but were updated at some point to the longer tail with a brace so pictures of what you want to build may be required but the Fujimi includes both tails. The alternative would be the Cyberhobby kit which is newer and engraved but I have not seen the US specific boxings. The Cyberhobby kits include the APU bulge as a separate piece so it can be left off but there have been some views that the shape of the Cyberhooby kit is not quite right and the ones I have are missing a fairing at the rear of the rotor pylon where the drive shaft for the tail rotor comes out.

There are newer kits by Revell and just recently Airfix but they are based on Westland built Sea Kings and have the APU hump molded on though you could take it off with some work. The Revell kit is nice but the wheel sponsons are a little small size wise. The new Airfix is quite nice but I only have the "Commando version" without sponsons. They have just released an RAF rescue machine with sponsons but it has not made it to Canada yet. The Airfix kit includes both 5 and 6 blade tail rotors but only the short horizontal tail (as does Revell) so if you are doing a rebuilt "D" with the longer braced tail I know the Fujimi kit has both and maybe the Cyberhobby but as I said I haven't seen any of their US machine boxings. Do not get an old mold Airfix kit as they have been around for years and are ill fitting dated kits. Whose Sea King are you trying to build?

Edited by RCAFFAN

Hello RCAFFAN, thanks for the help!, well it will be definetely a Sikorsky one, I´m planning to build one f our Naval Aviation, as far as I know, we has SH-3D, Augusta built SH-3D and later we bought 3 UH-3H with large sponsons, so I think the Fujimi one will work, problem is where to find one f those!. Thanks a lot for you reply and help!.

I debt you one.

Best regards,

Juan

This boxing should give you what you want part wise...Has both tails and both types of sponsons but you might have to ignore some of the instructions and find decals for your country (I'm guessing Argentina): http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=FU%2072072 or here : http://hlj.com/product/fuj27041/Air if they restock. I understand Fujimi distribution is now pretty well limited to Japan but I have found second hand kits being sold at most model shows. This boxing while RAF should also have 5 blade tail rotor and you can leave off radome :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Westland-Seaking-HAR-Mk-3-Plastic-Model-Kit-/121973879794 but shipping is more than kit!

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. Check window layout as Fujimi allows a few options and you need to pick right one for your machine.

Edited by RCAFFAN

Hi Bruce: Thank you very much for your help. And yes, I´m looking one to be built as an argentine naval aviation SH-3...I forgot to mention taht. Best regards again,

Juan :salute:

Thanks for the hands up. Any boxing of Cyberhhoby would be O.K.?.

Best regards,

Juan

If you wish to build one of early COAN Sea Kings (SH-3D), go with Cyber Hobby kit, straight rom the box and the best Sea King in 72 compared with Revell or Fuijimi.

Bye for now...

Any boxing of Cyberhhoby would be O.K.?.

Most of Sikorsky CH kits shares same pieces and in all cases you have plenty of extra parts.

Of course I recommend the SH-3D one, but searching in Internet sites which you can see the sprues, you could consider if the S-61R, SH-3H or SH-3G boxes also are useful for your project.

Avoid Westland ones, as CH have HC.4, and AEW too.

Bye for now...

While the Cyberhobby kits look nice they are poorly researched (interiors all similar using seating from first "Commando" release, poor painting instructions with no interior call outs) they just don't look right and all are missing the fairing where the tail rotor shaft comes out of the pylon as shown here on a Revell kit: http://www.bnamodelworld.com/bmz_cache/6/65db96b4724fc63b865785703fcb687a.image.950x727.jpg between the pylon and the radome. If you are doing a anti-sub version the Fujimi has a better interior too. I note that "Old 66" decals, who have researched this topic a great deal still recommend the Fujimi kit over the Cyberhobby so I still say the Fujimi is the better kit. I won't buy another Cyberhobby Sea KIng kit.

Too bad about all the bugaboo's with the Cyberhobby Sea King. I agree with the article posted by El pibe vitina above in that when its done the Cyberhobby Sea King looks great and better then the others. But it sure seems like a hassle and a boat load of work to get it to that stage. I am just starting the Revell Mk.41 and am pretty pleased with it so far...except the decals <_< .

Anyways, good luck with the project.

:cheers:

Good for you Rotorhead TX! I recently found a used Fujimi at a local contest for an "Old 66" build but didn't have any extras. Well done..

:cheers: