In case you haven't heard, my hometown team Leicester City has just won the English Premier League after almost being relegated last season. To put it into context for those of you in North America, imagine this scenario;

- The Cleveland Browns win the next Superbowl.

- Whilst only losing one game all season.

- Their almost-unknown QB, from a small-time college, breaks the single-season passing and touchdown records.

- There is no draft system with which to build up a team, and no salary cap. Teams spend what they like on players, and Cleveland has little money - the entire Browns squad costs less to buy than Tom Brady's salary.

- They had a new head coach at the start of the season, a former NFL HC who had recently lead his mid-ranking college team to defeat against the University of Central Florida.

- The last 22 Superbowls have only been won by New England, Pittsburgh, Seattle or Green Bay.

- And the odds of them winning the Superbowl at the start of the season were 5000/1 - or less likely than Elvis being found alive.

This is probably the greatest achievement in team sports. The only real comparison that could be made was if baseball had a promotion/relegation system, and a AA team managed to work its way up to the major leagues and then win the World Series within seven years.

768px-Leicester_City.svg.png

Edited by vince14

It IS amazing, almost as unlikely as ever seeing my two teams, Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Winnipeg Jets in the Stanley Cup. Will never happen with the league run by Bettman.

A massive achievement which has been down to nothing but pure hard work all season and a team/manager that actually believe in teamwork. They saw off all the big boys, they answered every question that was put to them, cast away every doubt against them, and they played by far the best football throughout the whole season.

A comparison was made during the Man City game back in February. The starting 11 of Man City cost £250 million, Leicester's starting 11 £25 million.

I bet you're still pinching yourself Vince and thinking you'll wake up tomorrow and it has all been a dream.

Congratulations Leicester, enjoy every moment it's been well deserved :cheers:

This would be worthy of note if soccer was actually a sport instead of an incredibly boring activity used world-wide to keep kids busy and amused.....Of course I could be kidding :whistle:

Cheers and congrats

Watched the spurs chealsea game -- boy did that get ugly!

Like a lot of "neutrals" I was pulling for the underdogs once they started to emerge along with the rest of my family. We were watching other matches and going for the teams that would help Leicester, so we were rooting for Chelsea this afternoon lol

Congrats! Something truly unique, and it is hard to quantify with other sports

Congrats!

I'm no rabid or knowledgeable football fan... but while stationed in the desert, spent a lot of time with Brits and watching BBC sports and Premier League games...for whatever reason "my teams" became Leicester and Chelsea, I guess because everyone jumped on the Liverpool and Manchester United. Good show!

But, I'm a bit confused, isn't the Championship on 15 May, or is that a different set up???

Edited by 82Whitey51

Congrats! Never forget this unusual moment when the champion is not repeated by those big names such as Man. Utd./City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. Just like the Blackburn Rovers once in 1994-1995 season.

"This would be worthy of note if soccer was actually a sport instead of an incredibly boring activity used world-wide to keep kids busy and amused.....Of course I could be kidding"

Nominated as post of the week in the category of verifiable truth

Brilliant achievement by Leicester.

"Jamie Vardy is having a party!!"

"We`re all going on a European tour!!"

Made all the sweeter by soulless corporate clubs crying about how tough life is on £200,000 per week wages.

SWEET! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

Congrats!

I'm no rabid or knowledgeable football fan... but while stationed in the desert, spent a lot of time with Brits and watching BBC sports and Premier League games...for whatever reason "my teams" became Leicester and Chelsea, I guess because everyone jumped on the Liverpool and Manchester United. Good show!

But, I'm a bit confused, isn't the Championship on 15 May, or is that a different set up???

That's when the season ends, but because it's a pure league system (i.e. no playoffs) it's possible to win the title before that date. Currently Leicester are seven points ahead of their nearest rival, and with only two games left to play there's only a maximum of six points available.

This would be worthy of note if soccer was actually a sport instead of an incredibly boring activity used world-wide to keep kids busy and amused.....Of course I could be kidding :whistle:/>

Cheers and congrats

..."COME ON Barnstonworth!"

Just like the Blackburn Rovers once in 1994-1995 season.

The difference between Blackburn in 94/95 and Leicester in 15/16 is that Blackburn spent big bucks bringing in big name players of the time including Alan Shearer, Stuart Ripley, Chris Sutton, Graeme Le Saux, Henning Berg, Tim Flowers, David Batty.....

Congratulations to you Vince and all the rest of the Leicester City fans!!! In this day and age of big spending clubs it's really great (at least from my perspective) to see a team win through hard work and good 'ole fashioned team work!!

Vince.

Thrilling end to the season, and Congratulations to the Fans of Leicester City.

They do deserve to win so well done.. :woo: hoo. :worship:

I suppose you are waiting with baited breath to see one famous player... Gary Linekar keep his promise to present MOTD in his underpants if Leicester won.. :taunt:

That will be a sight to see as he has been reminded of his promise.. :banana::nanner:

Really pleased for Leicester City and their supporters!!!

It would be nice if Stoke City could achieve the same feat. I remember back in the early '70s when they were (briefly) top of the First Division - there being no Premier League in those innocent days. Then again, Gordon Banks was their goalie back then 😳

:cheers:/>

Darius

Edited by Darius at home

In case you haven't heard, my hometown team Leicester City has just won the English Premier League after almost being relegated last season. To put it into context for those of you in North America, imagine this scenario;

- The Cleveland Browns win the next Superbowl.

- Whilst only losing one game all season.

- Their almost-unknown QB, from a small-time college, breaks the single-season passing and touchdown records.

- There is no draft system with which to build up a team, and no salary cap. Teams spend what they like on players, and Cleveland has little money - the entire Browns squad costs less to buy than Tom Brady's salary.

- They had a new head coach at the start of the season, a former NFL HC who had recently lead his mid-ranking college team to defeat against the University of Central Florida.

- The last 22 Superbowls have only been won by New England, Pittsburgh, Seattle or Green Bay.

- And the odds of them winning the Superbowl at the start of the season were 5000/1 - or less likely than Elvis being found alive.

This is probably the greatest achievement in team sports. The only real comparison that could be made was if baseball had a promotion/relegation system, and a AA team managed to work its way up to the major leagues and then win the World Series within seven years.

Vince, thanks for that explanation. Being the NFL fan that I am, to the point of traveling to London for games last year and going again this year, the light bulb finally came on after I read this, and I have a better understanding of "soccer" ; )

Congratulations Leicester City, your accomplishment cannot be understated, and this championship is now a part of history that will never be erased or forgotten. This is as good a feel good story as I've seen recently, TV couldn't write a better ending, I hope they make a movie of the season, I'll for sure get a copy.....for us Yanks, I'll take you back to a similar happening in '69...remember the "Miracle Mets".

Vince, thanks for that explanation. Being the NFL fan that I am, to the point of traveling to London for games last year and going again this year, the light bulb finally came on after I read this, and I have a better understanding of "soccer" ; )

Nice! I'm quite the US sports fan as well. I've been a Pittsburgh Steelers fan for about 30 years. I've attended at least one NFL game every year since they started coming over to London. This year, I'm going to the Redskins/Bengals game, probably the Giants/Rams as well, and I'm also off to Dublin to see Boston College play Georgia Tech. I also managed to get over and watch the 100th anniversary Indy 500 race too (the one Dan Wheldon won after JR Hildebrand crashed at the last corner).