Strategic Air Command Group Build

10 members have voted

1. 1. Yes I'm Interested

• yes

Several years back I had seen a proposal for a Strategic Air Command "SAC" Group Build but couldn't find anything in the GB archieves. I'd like to see if anyone else other than me would be interested in doing a SAC Group Build this winter. The build can cover anything that was flown and or operated by SAC and or carried the SAC milkyway sash and crest. SAC was established in 1946 and disestablished in 1992. They controlled two of the three legs of the nuclear triad, the manned bombers and the ICBM's. I tried to think of aircraft that I know SAC operated and came up with the below list. I'm sure there are others. So if you're interested a SAC GB, cast your vote. Looking at a January 2017 start time frame depending on other GB's.

B-52

B/EB/RB-47

B-36

B/KB/RB-29

B-58

B/KB/RB-50

B-1

B-2

FB-111

K/E/RC-135

KC-10

C-133

C-124

C-123

C-119

C/KC-97

C/EC-54

C-47

F-84

RF-84

F-82

F-80

T-33

T-38

T-28

T-29

U-2

TR-1

SR-71

Thor

Atlas

Minuteman

Peacekeeper

Jupiter

Snark

Titan

ALCM

Edited by Drifterdon

Several years back I had seen a proposal for a Strategic Air Command "SAC" Group Build but couldn't find anything in the GB archieves. I'd like to see if anyone else other than me would be interested in doing a SAC Group Build this winter. The build can cover anything that was flown and or operated by SAC and or carried the SAC milkyway sash and crest. SAC was established in 1946 and disestablished in 1992. They controlled two of the three legs of the nuclear triad, the manned bombers and the ICBM's. I tried to think of aircraft that I know SAC operated and came up with the below list. I'm sure there are others. So if you're interested a SAC GB, cast your vote. Looking at a January 2017 start time frame depending on other GB's.

B-52

B/EB/RB-47

B-36

B/KB/RB-29

B-58

B/KB/RB-50

B-1

B-2

FB-111

K/E/RC-135

KC-10

C-133

C-124

C-123

C-119

C/KC-97

C/EC-54

C-47

F-84

RF-84

F-82

F-80

T-33

T-38

T-28

T-29

U-2

TR-1

SR-71

Thor

Atlas

Minuteman

Peacekeeper

Jupiter

Snark

Titan

ALCM

Cessna U-3 Blue Canoe

I think you can add the T-39 to that list. I used to see them all over the place, Stateside as well as the Pacific. It seemed that every command was using that little utility aircraft.

The T-29 also went by the designation C-131.

Right. GBs have been the kiss of death for my efforts over the last couple of years -PLEASE don't mention the StarFish one...ugh!...but this I may be able to do. Because I've been exploring the Deep Stash, and found something only this very morning that would fit well here, and is simple enough for even me to complete in a lifetime. Could it be fate? Or just fated...

Anyway, I'm in.

Man if barracuda would scale down their B-1 stuff to 72nd scale. Actually, probably would just need the featherless exhausts and intakes since its SAC and not ACC.

Just some food for thought, there is an ARC Reconnaissance GB, ARC Strike/Attack GB, and an ARC Heavies GB already scheduled for this September 2016 and SAC aircraft qualify for all three. I only mention this as I know a few ARC'ers were already planning on building SAC models for those GB's which may affect participation in a dedicated SAC GB should one be scheduled so close. Again, just throwing this out there and not trying to be a kill joy whatsoever.

:cheers:

EDIT: Correction... Reconnaissance GB starts in July-January.

Edited by Don

Just some food for thought, there is an ARC Reconnaissance GB, ARC Strike/Attack GB, and an ARC Heavies GB already scheduled for this September 2016 and SAC aircraft qualify for all three. I only mention this as I know a few ARC'ers were already planning on building SAC models for those GB's which may affect participation in a dedicated SAC GB should one be scheduled so close. Again, just throwing this out there and not trying to be a kill joy whatsoever.

This is probably why there is such a low interest in this particular GB. I'll just let it run it's course and if the participation level doesn't get there, no harm, no foul. It can just die a quiet death. I still plan to participate in the Recce and Heavies GB so I can get my SAC fix through these. Thanks for pointing this out Don. :thumbsup:/>/>

Edited by Drifterdon

My local club is doing a SAC themed contest this month at the local club meeting, so I am using it as an excuse to bang out a 9th SRW T-38 using a Trumpeter kit. So far so good and markings are somewhat plentiful for the white jets with yellow stripes and four black crosses (and SAC logos).

Would love to do this GB but we're hung at 9 votes and that seems to be all there is. With the Recce and Heavies GB's I can get my SAC fix this way. I'm afraid this one is DOA.... crying.gif

Edited by Drifterdon