F-86E Philippine AF "dragon"

Hi everyone

Besides the J-8II Finback I've decided to go with a second GB entry...

It is going to be a Philippine Air Force F-86E painted in 3 tone camo used in COIN role in Mindanao in 1974 fighting MNLF rebel forces...

Big thanks to Diego from Hi-Decal for many useful info regarding the mentioned subject...

IMG_20160427_153958.jpg

cheers,

Vasko

Edited by vesthepes

Hi Vasco,

Your'e welcome - it's always a pleasure if I can help :rolleyes:

Great to see you are doing this bird :thumbsup:

As the original camo was painted without primer, after some weeks in the hot and humid climate of Mindanao these birds already looked extremely weathered. In fact, this would be one of very few jets were you could use the "salt" weathering technique, commonly used by modellers building WWII Japanese aircraft.

Also please note that all stencils have been overpainted.

Greetings

Diego

Thanks chaps

That's right B, this one had quite a funky camo...

Thanks Diego. I am looking forward to start this... right now it is just basic analysis..

The first thing that comes to mind are the different front wheels on Sabres... Dragon and other Philippinos had a full hub wheel. I'll take some photos of the one packed in the Revell box and the aftermarket ones... seems like they're all off.

Yeah, the salt technique. I like that quite a lot... I've tried it before on a scuffed arctic red tail F-84G and I hope I pull it off on this one too.

c1.jpg

cheers

Edited by vesthepes

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments...

No major work on the cockpit. I only used a kit decal for the instruments on the IP. Not a perfect match with plastic dials below, but still ok enough.

Thanks mungo1974 for showing us the photo. That's exactly the camo I'll be doing on the "Dragon". A lot of paint wear visible, no stencils and markings on sand color only... Thanks for the heads up Diego ;)

• 2 weeks later...