Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere that my search failed to reveal. Looking at F3H-1N/2N Bureau number 133522, factory number 34 painted primarily in sea blue, one can see a very light color under the horizontal tail and on the rear empennage over the steel(?) around the jet exhaust. Is it painted in a high temperature white enamel, or another unpainted alloy?

Thanks!

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere that my search failed to reveal. Looking at F3H-1N/2N Bureau number 133522, factory number 34 painted primarily in sea blue, one can see a very light color under the horizontal tail and on the rear empennage over the steel(?) around the jet exhaust. Is it painted in a high temperature white enamel, or another unpainted alloy?

Thanks!

White: take a look at the picture that I just added to the bottom of the post here: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2014/06/converting-f3h-2-to-f3h-1n.html

Ooh! Didn't notice that panel! Ya learn something every day. :cheers:/>

I didn't realize it until the question was asked and I went and looked at pictures to prove it was like the F3H-2, which looks like it had natural metal on the bottom side of the stabilator where the F3H-1N is white.

Thanks Tailspin, I saw that pic as I frequently peruse your blog, which I must thank you for! Even though

the color, which looks off-white, matches the white of the 'Navy,' I still thought it could be some other

unpainted metal alloy, like Jolly Roger thought as well. You know the pitfalls of trying to confirm colors

from photos...even those photos in color....

By the way, have your book 'US Naval Air Superiority.' I recommend it highly!