Best source for a display cabinet

ARCers - I live in a smallish condo, and I have a 4-foot area of floor/wall space for a display cabinet. I've tried looking for something on Craigslist and online for a cabinet that will fit in this space. Unfortunately I have found nothing - many cabinets are 5-foot wide or larger, and a store-type cabinet is too expensive (minimum of $400 from what I can find). Can anyone give me specific example of available cabinets that I can go out and buy (I can assemble - that's not a problem)? I'm in Houston, so I have access to most stores here. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

John

IKEA has a nice one for 70.00 only problem is it is only 16,3/4 in square but it is 64in tall. at the price you can get 2 and hopefully that will be big enough.. Also you can check to see if there is a Rooms to Go Close Out store. I have one nearby and I picked up a really Nice Curio/China Cabinet for 50.00

Ikea Link http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80269122/

I second the Ikea idea. My wife wants to make a run to the Ikea near the Mall of America in MN so we can pick up some cabinets for my models. I haven't made a final decision yet but we're leaning towards the Hindo or the Detolf style. At the prices they're asking for each, I can get more than one and not end up in the poor house!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290283/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80269122/

Eric

To me the biggest problem with Ikea is that they don't have any nice wide cabinets close to 48" - I like the grey one and I might just fit my 1/32 F-14 in there. Looks like the only reasonable way to go. Thanks for all the input.

John

John

I know you don't have the space but what others have suggested about Ikea could work in the interim. It also probably depends on what scale you model in. When I was looking for a display case I did see those Ikea sets but since I build in 1/48 they were too small.

I got lucky and was able to buy a china cabinet. It was actually the upper part of a buffet. You know the deal, the lower part has drawers and the upper part is wood and glass to hold wine glasses and plates etc. I bought it for $175 because the store did not have the lower section. I think they said the customer did not want the upper part. Their loss my gain.

Anyway, it was made of oak, about 5' wide, 16" deep and 4-1/2' high with a mirrored back. I had to put more shelves in as it only had 2. Now I have 4 display shelves. Had to seal it up to try and keep the dust out so I used some foam insulation and it has helped. Someone else in this thread asked about that too.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know that you could try furniture stores both used and new as they may have pieces that they cannot sell and want to get rid of it.

I've got five retail store style display cases for my models. One I picked up from a thrift store for $60. One of the glass sides was blown out, but I was able to replace the broken pane for another $60. The other four are brand new, and are 6' x 6'. With extra shelves added, each one will hold about 50 72nd scale fighter size models. They cost me about $600 each, and have been bought over the last ten years. I got them at a place called Advanced Display in Salt Lake City. If you're interested in this type of display case, I'd suggest that you look around the nearest larger city to you. I'd bet that there's some sort of display store that caters to local businesses that carries them. They're not as cheap as an Ikea special, but they look nice, will keep your models relatively dust free, and will hold a lot of models, depending on what you model of course! HTH, Fred K.

This might be a shot in the dark but also check your local universities. The one here in my town has an auction page that practically no one knows about. They're always auctioning off used chairs, desks, lab equipment, filing cabinets, you name it. Every now and then, I'll see a display cabinet go up for bid and they usually sell off at around $20.

Thanks Fred and Chris, but that is out of my budget and too big. As I had previously mentioned I have a 4-foot wide space for a case and the few retail cases I have found were over $400. I've also had no luck on craigslist. Ikea it is...

John

Ill vote Ikea and add a twist

Ive built what i call a Double Detolf

i took 2 cases

1. Cut both tops and bottom in one of the side glass insert
  2. using flat metal binding secure both bases and tops together
  3. complete assembly
  4. for the center rods make sure you prevent them from getting out has the top will push agains them (i put a screw with a washer ))
  5. To maximize display area get some 1/4 Hight presure clamps
  6. put apice of rubber and in it them clam in on mid range between the stock glas
  7. get some 10mm glass cut for a couple of $
  8. Extra install LED strips. but has a recomendation dont get the too cheap ones has they give out a blueish hue has you can see from my pic

total cost was

60$X2 detolf case (on sale)

6$ for 32 clams

20$ for 4 10mm glass panel

5$ led strips

146$ CAD

about 2hours work for the case

2 hours for the LED

and Voila

double%20detolf%202.jpg?dl=0

On a side note , my house is really dusty and almost nothing get inside the case. But ive seen ppl use shower door strips to me the doos seal up nicely and the are clear and in the same material has the corners on the detolfs

Edited by Neo

Neo - nice work! I will be weighing my options over the weekend. Obviously Ikea is going to win the bid, just a matter of which way I go. Thanks again for all the input!

John

Ill vote Ikea and add a twist

Ive built what i call a Double Detolf

i took 2 cases

1. Cut both tops and bottom in one of the side glass insert
  2. using flat metal binding secure both bases and tops together
  3. complete assembly
  4. for the center rods make sure you prevent them from getting out has the top will push agains them (i put a screw with a washer ))
  5. To maximize display area get some 1/4 Hight presure clamps
  6. put apice of rubber and in it them clam in on mid range between the stock glas
  7. get some 10mm glass cut for a couple of $
  8. Extra install LED strips. but has a recomendation dont get the too cheap ones has they give out a blueish hue has you can see from my pic

total cost was

60$X2 detolf case (on sale)

6$ for 32 clams

20$ for 4 10mm glass panel

5$ led strips

146$ CAD

about 2hours work for the case

2 hours for the LED

On a side note , my house is really dusty and almost nothing get inside the case. But ive seen ppl use shower door strips to me the doos seal up nicely and the are clear and in the same material has the corners on the detolfs

Neo, I'm going to blatantly use your method at some point. Ive got two Detolfs myself, and I'm the desert (talcum power sand, man...), so keeping everything clean is a important consideration. Not sure if they will make it back stateside when I do return, but I'm living for the now.

Edited by Ishthe47guy

While the Detolf is nice, I've had to remove dust from the displays inside which is highly annoying, it's not tight by design and will accumulate dust over time.

With many of the IKEAs and me building a lot of 1/32, depth of the case is a concern, not only the width. I have two of these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20242277/ and they're awesome if you like the look. I have them free standing in the middle of a room and they work very well, 1/32 Trumpy MiG-23 fits for example.

Edited by Sir Fondlebottom

Can you explain what you mean by the about cutting the glass insert.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave

The base of the detolf have 3groves in them for you to insert the glass when assembling the case. What i dit is use my miter saw and cut into one of the grooves to remove it. Dont cut too much off or else the rear glass wont fit anymore

Hi Dave

The base of the detolf have 3groves in them for you to insert the glass when assembling the case. What i dit is use my miter saw and cut into one of the grooves to remove it. Dont cut too much off or else the rear glass wont fit anymore

Ah! I see! Thank you