Fündekals New Spitfire Decals

Fündekals is pleased to announce our latest project - just about everything we’ve got on some really interesting and historic Spitfires! It covers the whole range of WWII era Spits, from some of the iconic Mk.Is of the Battle of Britain period right through the end of the war.

In 1/72 and 1/48 you will get decals for all 12 aircraft INCLUDING complete roundels and fin flashes for all 12 on one sheet!

In 1/32 the subjects are split onto two separate decals, with the early war aircraft on one, and the late war aircraft on the other.

All in all, a really interesting bunch of Spits, most of which have never been done before. Those that have, we feel have not been done justice, and we’ve taken a fresh look at them and tossed out all of our preconceived notions. We’ve recieved some able assistance from folks with a great deal of knowledge on specific subjects, and we believe those are done here for the first time the way they actually appeared.

We hope you’ll like what you see! They should be available by early summer, so keep an eye on our web site for updates.

www.fundekals.com

Subjects include:

• The iconic Mk.I DW-K of 610 Squadron - done correctly for the very first time, based on all new research!

• Mk.I R6891 DW-Q flown by ‘ace in a day’ Sgt. Ronny Hamlyn of 610 Squadron, RAF Biggin Hill, August 1940

• Mk.Vb W3257 FY-E of 26 victory ace Flt. Lt. Eric Lock of 611 Squadron, August 1941

• Mk.Vb W3711 flown by American volunteer F/O Dick Patterson of 121 Eagle Squadron, ironically, shot down on 7 December 1941

• Mk.Vb BM181 of the 107th Observation Squadron, RAF Membry, summer 1943

• Mk.Vb 4Q of VCS-7, US Navy, used for gunfire spotting on D-Day

• Mk.IXC MJ845 of W/C Harry Bird-Wilson with 17 Squadron markings

• Mk.IXC of W/C Johnny Checketts

• Mk.IXC BS240 flown by W/C Dickie Milne of the Biggin Hill Wing, early 1943

• Mk.IXc EN568 flown by W/C Al Deere of the Biggin Hill Wing, mid-1943

• Mk.XVIe TB520 flown by W/C Don Andrews (Australian), early 1945

• Mk.XVIe SM343 LO-J flown by Flt Sgt G.J. Zuber (Australian) of 602 Squadron on ops against V3sites from RAF Ludham, early 1945

Spit_Preivew2016.jpg

Edited by Jennings

there;s a couple things I want to do over.

One would hope the red crowbar is one of them. ;)

They were either steel or interior green on war time aircraft, red only came in post war when elfin safety became a focus for such dangerous activities as flying war birds. 'course, you probably knew that already. :)

Those look great Jennings, a perfect match for all the Spitfires my family say I have too many of, some Kiwi subjects among them, I'll be looking out for the For Sale announcement.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hi,

Cool! Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:/>/>/>

I wonder...what makes DW-K of 610 Sqn iconic? I gather she was on the box-art of at least one kit.

Cheers, Stefan.

Because in days gone by Battle of Britain photos were quite rare, as it was illegal to take photos on operational stations. New images have leaked out over the years from private albums.

The photos of 610 exist because a Fox film unit was aking a training film in July 1940, and their stills photographer was snapping away,

mick1.jpg

70888.jpg

the other unit was 32 Squadron with Hurricanes, which have also become 'iconic' images.

like this one which ended up as a stamp in the UK last year

p3522.jpg

So these, by being offical, and widely circulated, became stock BoB images, and thus 'iconic'

the only unit regularly officially in 1940 photograhed was 85 sq, with series of pics from at least 5 sessions, early 1940, may, july, october and Jan 1941 as nightfighters.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

wonder...what makes DW-K of 610 Sqn iconic? I gather she was on the box-art of at least one kit.

Because about 80% of the time when you see a photo of a Spitfire from the Battle of Britain, it's DW-K. The problem is, the famous series of air to air photos of 610 Squadron machines you usually see aren't Battle of Britain. They were taken in late June 1940. :)

There is probably more erroneous information out there about that airplane than almost any other Spitfire. I've seen at least three different serials attributed to it.

:)

Edited by Jennings

Thanks for the explanation about DW-K, Jennings and Troy. :thumbsup:

I have to admit it's the first time I learn about VCS-7 and their Spitfires. I had thought about who did the spotting on D-day and figured there may have been Kingfishers with invasion stripes. Not a real modeling project, just something I thought about.

Cheers, Stefan.

...In 1/32 the subjects are split onto two separate decals, with the early war aircraft on one, and the late war aircraft on the other...

This is smart :thumbsup: . The early war is my main interest so I'll be grabbing a copy of those. The sheet looks great!

:cheers:

No recce Spits, bummer.

What are you looking for that hasn't been done already? I can't think of much in the way of PR Spits that hasn't been done, or for which there isn't a kit (PR.XI!!!!!!!!!)

Wow Jennings that is a nice looking sheet. I guess I can get rid of my other sets of Aeromaster Spitfire and just get this one. Witht the amount of Spitfire I think I will build, this sheet will serve me well.