A friend of mine sent me this picture taken at the Army Aviation Association of America's Mission Solutions Summit of an MH-60M DAP. I was interested to see the apparently new antenna mounted in front of the windshield. Any idea on what it is? I haven't seen it on any pictures of slick MH-60Ms.

aJaCkiG.jpg

First thought was that it was a SATCOM antenna, but then I noticed the X-wing antenna in the normal spot. Perhaps some sort of wind sensor for ordnance maybe? It doesn't look like missile warning hardware.

Beats me, but that is one cool looking MH-60M DAP. I thought I saw something on the front of the nose of the hawk that rescued Sgt. bergdahl, but its not clear enough to make out.

Hopefully someone here knows what it is. Now this is something else I gotta put on my model now!

Tim

Tell me about it. Fortunately my planned DAP is a LOOOOOOOONG way down the pipe.

EDIT: Looking at a pic of the MH-60M from the Bergdahl rescue, looks like a similar antenna.

Edited by Sarathi S.

I didn't see it in the set. You got a pic?

Tim

Right side below the new nose, about half-way down in the below pic. There is the one above the windscreen and another similar one for the tail.

35037asm.jpg

I didn't see it in the set. You got a pic?

Tim

It's in the resin set, part #14 of the MH-60M specific parts. It was to be placed on the upper rear area in between the exhaust outlets. Either it has been relocated on this airframe or a second one is installed. After looking at over 2,000 MH-60M photos it has become obvious to me that the placement of antennas may not be a standardized thing.

Chris M

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I just figured it might have been something new.

It seems like the 160th SIMO is always rolling out something new.

Now I would like to see pics of the new touch screen monitor and its location for the crew chiefs that Hotmike was talking about that they were getting ready to start fielding.

By the way, SIMO is the SOAR version of skunkworks according to Mike Durant. Their the ones who think up and field all the new 160th toys.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Here's a teaser of the photos that were taken June of last year of the MH-60M DAP:

IMG_0827_zpsk1jb4y2r.jpg

55e8f390-0610-4d92-85f5-552dcbd4a136_zpsvbifrf8a.jpg

Whatever the antenna is, it is new. The IZLIDs (the IR Lasers in the photos above) are for aiming the miniguns. Just put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. My guess is that the IZLIDs were moved back to the rail mounts on the miniguns themselves on a DAP with this antenna.

Considering most M134Ds have rail mounts these days, that makes sense. Not much point in mounting an EOTech on the gun when it's fixed forward, after all.

Not much use for an EO Tech or other weapon mounted optic when door gunners aim either with the IR laser (night) or by walking their rounds onto target (day).

Edited by adrake83

I thought it was a CD that was going to happen. Has that change to book now? Btw, those aren't antennas they just took the R2D2 eyes on the DAP. :woot.gif:

Sure to like the new look of the DAP in the first post :thumbsup:

I thought it was a CD that was going to happen. Has that change to book now? Btw, those aren't antennas they just took the R2D2 eyes on the DAP. :woot.gif:/>

Sure to like the new look of the DAP in the first post :thumbsup:/>

It is still in the works, but yes, we have decided to get some more coverage of the Unit, and go with a book format.

Aaron